Autopsy Bulldogs win a heart stopper vs Eagles

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought it was a shocking ump display. Holding the balls getting / not getting called.
That free missed to Wallis for being dragged down then given to WC 5 second later for the same thing.
And that last free in the ruck.
Nearly smashed the 55 inch last night. Been a long time since I was so upset with the umps.
Felt like we were playing at Subi!

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tough to watch that one. But. 4 points banked.
Grim viewing though so was in need of a laugh.
Read the west coasts gameday thread. There is fan podcast live commentary of the game in the banner up top you can click on.
Do yourselves a favour and listen to the last 25 minutes or so of it.
Genuine lols.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Grim viewing though so was need in of a laugh.
Read the west coasts gameday thread. There is fan podcast live commentary of the game in the banner up top you can click on.
Genuine lols.

Clicked to a random spot and they were talking about Queensland umpiring bias having been a real problem for them every game. West Coast supporters are something else

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t know how anyone could be positive about Josh Bruce’s game.

When you get very few opportunities because you move like a slug, the following things are unacceptable:

Kicking set shots out on the full
Missing teammates by 5m with a simple Handpass that goes straight over the boundary line.
Dropping a simple chest mark 15m out directly in front.

He’s been an absolute lemon and should be dropped
I couldnt disagree with you more.

All your criticisms are right - he missed easy shots, he missed handballs and dropped chest marks. And still, it was a solid and important performance. His repeated aggression and desire to get to contests were hugely influential. It created scoring opportunities and goals. He was effective at ensuring McGovern and the Westcoast defenders were no taking easy marks and rebounds, when the kicks were rarely to his advantage.

I rate his performance in this game higher and more effective than the game he kicked 6 goals and beat up on a spud. Things weren't going for him, the passes to him are third rate, his form and confidence is low, but he was determined to keep contributing with aggression. Took some critical marks and repeatedly created space. He just kept on presenting - unlike Naughton.

You get 22 players doing that week in week out and there are few games you lose.

Is there a team that Caleb Daniel historically plays better against than West Coast?

In his eight career games against them, these are his totals:
25, 34, 23, 13, 22, 30, 33, 24.

He averages 25.5 disposals per game against them. He averages 21.2 disposals per game in his career.

FWIW, I thought he was BOG in the 2016 Elimination Final.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Something that suffers as a result of footy’s anti intellectual/ anti analytical culture is the understanding of deeper layerings involved in a game of footy.

this year we’ve been smashed in the ruck. So everyone moans. Our scores from clearances differential is up there with the best in the league. So as easy as it is to react emotionally when Bont is in the ruck and he gives away a free, remember the big picture and the big dataset. That’s how we need to be formulating our decisions.

equally with the Schache Bruce comparisons. Many people see Bruce drop a sitter or miss a goal and you make the simple mathematical derivation. “If that is Schache, he marks it, we kick the goal”

it’s not as simple as that though. Let’s say Schache does kick 3 instead of Bruce’s 0. How many less goals do we kick from ground ball contests Schache doesn’t create by preventing intercepts or simply contesting the ground ball? How many opposition goals are created from easy rebound?

it’s not as simple as the most basic thing you see. Now Bruce makes it an easier decision by being less of a lemon than he was last night, and let’s hope he does in the future because last night he probably did undo enough hard work to cost us on that decision.

Bevo does grit his teeth through ugly scenes because he’s using a deeper dataset to make his decisions.

in an ideal world, Bruce kicks his goals, Schache provides better presence/ team defence and English is a better ruckman. In the real world, Bevo is playing okay at the game of Whack-a-mole

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is there a team that Caleb Daniel historically plays better against than West Coast?

In his eight career games against them, these are his totals:
25, 34, 23, 13, 22, 30, 33, 24.

He averages 25.5 disposals per game against them. He averages 21.2 disposals per game in his career.

Yeah I think he was the consensus BOG that night, and playing in the middle too.

They just don’t pay him much respect.

Jeez, that's like choosing your favourite child.
Difficult, but doable.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grim viewing though so was need in of a laugh.
Genuine lols.
His complaining about the kick to Bont, using the Telstra logo as a point to measure the distance of the kick was good. "Umpire you are a scumbag that is play on".

"Josh Bruce celebrating like they didn't put on the most embarassing performance of AFL football you'll ever see. "

They should worry about their Tarzan that plays like Jane first.
Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 9.41.04 AM.png

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His complaining about the kick to Bont, using the Telstra logo as a point to measure the distance of the kick was good. "Umpire you are a scumbag that is play on".

"Josh Bruce celebrating like they didn't put on the most embarassing performance of AFL football you'll ever see. "

View attachment 955239
Some great commentary in the last quarter.
Darlings bullshit free "Its a free kick to...THE EAGLES.And its jack darling CMON. EAGLES Jack Darling. I dont have a clue what that free was for but I bloody love it. Most crucial kick of the game. CMON. Oh hes shanked it out wide"
Ol mate chimes in "oh FFS"
LOL

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

View attachment 955239

Spot on. Jane Darling has a history of it too, the 2016 EF wasn't the first or last time he "anticipated pressure" and dropped the pudding. And people on here accuse JJ and English of being soft, FFS.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just washed my hands fresh from my morning cleanse thank you Meta Mucil and i did not wash off any destiny, maybe you have
destiny on your hands, but sadly i missed out, but my hands are clean and refreshed thank you Goat Soap.

sounds like our 2020 destiny is sh*t

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope Bevo has a word about no 23 to the umpiring head, simply disgusting.

The problem with complaining about umpiring is it goes to the desk of this peanut:

1599453663556.png

Somehow umpired nearly 500 games, yet his inconsistency of rule application during his umpiring
"career" would outshine the combined ineptitude of the entire 2020 AFL field umpiring panel.

If we can't get anything for him we should delist. I see no future with him if he's going to hand games like that to us for years to come.
I share your frustration but here's my take on it.

He has the tools to be a very good player but we're just not seeing it right now. That's the sort of player you look for from another club because you can buy low and get a player who ends up being regularly in your best dozen players. Crozier is a good example. If we did decide to offload Richards now we would get screwed.

If we manage and coach him well (a big if, I'll admit) he should be able to do what Williams and McLean have done: put his head down, work hard on his deficiencies and apply himself to be a very good team-oriented role player. He has only just turned 21 so there's time and scope for development.

That is NOT going to happen this year, quite clearly.

It took Williams an off-season of reflection (during which time many posters here were saying "Why the hell aren't we getting rid of Williams? He's done nothing"). Williams went back to the basics, got fitter and applied himself like never before in the trial matches. He's been a revelation this year, but the point is that the club always knew he had the talent and persevered with him. I see a parallel with the naturally talented Richards, except that Richards is actually getting senior games he doesn't deserve. Williams wasn't.

For the rest of this year I don't think Richards should be in the seniors but we should persevere with him. Put a lot of work into him over the off season.

Having said all that there's almost nobody who is untradeable, even those playing senior football each week. (In fact they're the ones you can "sell high".) If somebody made us a fantastic offer for Richards we'd have to consider it.

Everyone can of course have their own opinion about him but I don't think that trading him is the direction we should be exploring here on BF. And judging from the fact that he's almost never been dropped I'm pretty sure the club feels the same way.

Yeah I think he was the consensus BOG that night, and playing in the middle too.

They just don’t pay him much respect.
May have something to do with the Eagles being rated 18th in ground ball gets - I'm sure I heard that during the commentary, can anyone confirm? Anyway, with Caleb being closer to the ground it's no wonder he's so good against them :D

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

View attachment 955239
Obviously he was terrified that the mighty JJ might flatten his meek frame into the Subiaco turf.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
May have something to do with the Eagles being rated 18th in ground ball gets - I'm sure I heard that during the commentary, can anyone confirm? Anyway, with Caleb being closer to the ground it's no wonder he's so good against them :D
Has an obvious advantage but I’ve never seen someone control a ball on the ground so confidently time after time.

Contrast it with Lloyd’s fumbles 10m from goal...

Spot on. Jane Darling has a history of it too, the 2016 EF wasn't the first or last time he "anticipated pressure" and dropped the pudding. And people on here accuse JJ and English of being soft, FFS.
Hasn't Darling had some problems with concussions?

I'm not looking for excuses ... yet it could be a factor.

Some players never change their approach to the game (eg Liam Picken) but others get quite rattled - both literally and figuratively. Koschitske is a good example.

Back