shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL
As good as the bulldogs have been this year and with a number of great up and coming youngsters on their list i still think that their window of oppurtunity to win a flag will be in the next 2-3 years only.
Reason being is that they have a number of great players who may not be around in the next 2 -3 years.
Players such as Johnson, West, Smith, Grant and Darcy may not be around in 2-3 years time and will leave a big hole in their team that needs to be filled and its very difficult seeing them being a top class side without those great players
What do others think?

Wells Tiller Williams Wight and Walsh will be a lot better in 3 years, add in the fact all our midfileders will be a lot better and that Minson will kill it in the ruck.

Cross is set to take over from Scott West, Damien McMormick will take over from Brad Johnson and Gilbee will take over from Smith.

Yet again Johnosn has 4 to 5 more years in him.

We have a great group of young players and our window is from next year untill around 2010.

This could have been their year. They were the 'in form' side and could have beaten anyone in the top 8...especially seeing how close the teams were/are this year.

RedLegs#5 said:
This could have been their year. They were the 'in form' side and could have beaten anyone in the top 8...especially seeing how close the teams were/are this year.
No Williams Grant Darcy and Gia for all/most of the year, this was a year to improve for 06/07/08/09

bogan4life said:
No Williams Grant Darcy and Gia for all/most of the year, this was a year to improve for 06/07/08/09
Disagree. If you’d made the 8 you were a chance. You were playing like essendon in 93. Young, quick and unpredictable. You were coming up just at the right time..players and coach pumped. Even the top of the ladder teams were beatable. A very even race. Could happen over the next few years though...we'll just never know about this one.

It's an interesting one, the way i see it is that your right with Grant, Smith & West not being around at the club in 2-3 years time.
Rodney Eade has already stated that he thinks Brad Johnson has a good 5 or 6 years left in him, by that time the Cooneys, Rays, Griffens, Cross's etc will be in their prime.

Luke Darcy will still be around for quite a few years to come playing mainly at FF.

Rohan Smith - As good a player he has been at the Dogs, there is no doubt Gilbee has taken his role off half back & therefore by the time he hangs up the boots a player has already stepped up to take over his role.

Scott West - Once again, and dare i say champion of the Dogs, It's no secret that Farren Ray was drafted to one day take over from Westy in the middle and with Daniel Cross stepping up this season, as with Smithy, we should have this position covered.

Chris Grant - This is our major concern, Granty has already said that he will go on in 2006 which is great news, but the Dogs desperatly need to find a CHB quickly, this is the reason Scott Clayton drafted Tom Williams at 6 in last years draft and possibly the reason why the rumour mill have us chasing Polak from The Dockers.

RedLegs#5 said:
Disagree. If you’d made the 8 you were a chance. You were playing like essendon in 93. Young, quick and unpredictable.
I tend to disagree. I'd say the Dogs were playing like last year's Eagles side, as you said, young, fast and unpredictable. However I don't think the Dogs would have gone far in finals this year had they made it, just too little experience. What they did a few weeks ago to us was very reminiscent of what we've done to the Lions in recent years.

Next year is the real test for the Dogs - can they take all that talent and change from the hunter to the hunted? I reckon they can, but it will be interesting to see how well they do when it happens.

this is in no way a troll..

will the continuing improvemnt of the doggies on the field, will they be able to right themselves off field? Do they have the ability to pay off debts etc - how is the doggies non merger hopes looking?

matthedocker said:
this is in no way a troll..

will the continuing improvemnt of the doggies on the field, will they be able to right themselves off field? Do they have the ability to pay off debts etc - how is the doggies non merger hopes looking?

It's actually looking the brightest it has for years.

RedLegs#5 said:

Disagree
We would have gone into the finals with a defence that allows the opposition to score too freely,and two ruckmen that have played under 40 games.
History shows you can't go all the way in finals with a poor defence and without a top line ruckman. You could get away with one but not both.
It would have been good for the young guys to get some experience but the last 6 weeks were mini finals and they will now be hungrier going into next year.

shiva25 said:
As good as the bulldogs have been this year and with a number of great up and coming youngsters on their list i still think that their window of oppurtunity to win a flag will be in the next 2-3 years only.
Reason being is that they have a number of great players who may not be around in the next 2 -3 years.
Players such as Johnson, West, Smith, Grant and Darcy may not be around in 2-3 years time and will leave a big hole in their team that needs to be filled and its very difficult seeing them being a top class side without those great players
What do others think?

All clubs have got players that will be gone in 2 to 3 years. Happy with the next generation coming through to replace them.

bogan4life said:
Wells Tiller Williams Wight and Walsh will be a lot better in 3 years, add in the fact all our midfileders will be a lot better and that Minson will kill it in the ruck.

Cross is set to take over from Scott West, Damien McMormick will take over from Brad Johnson and Gilbee will take over from Smith.

We have a great group of young players and our window is from next year untill around 2010.

You love to hype up your list of "promising KPP"....

We havent even seen any of them really, Walsh will be gone in 2 years, and there is no guarantees the rest of them will even play more than 5 games...

Nightwolf_69 said:
You love to hype up your list of "promising KPP"....

We havent even seen any of them really, Walsh will be gone in 2 years, and there is no guarantees the rest of them will even play more than 5 games...

I have to agree to a certain extent with you here. We are banking on these players to make it but it is mere speculation. Early signs indicate that Walsh isn't good enough but we are prepared to give him another preseason under Eade to see what his development is like. The potential unfortunately does not always transform itself into success and as Shiva stated for our old guns to win a premiership it really has to be in '06/'07. However in saying that you just never know who develops and who we pick up in the draft - but again this is purely speculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shiva25 said:
What do others think?

opportunity

bogan4life said:
Minson will kill it in the ruck.

I agree...Minson is a gun! He has done so well considering his inexperience.

And Johnson, what can I say...my favourite player from another club...fantastic player and he looks like he will be able to go for a while yet

Dogs look fast , talented and hungry. Still think they need a big forward target to feast on the run from half back.

Talk to us about pick 5 , who knows we may take Griff or Cooney for it which will give you Fev.

jimmy35 said:
Dogs look fast , talented and hungry. Still think they need a big forward target to feast on the run from half back.

Talk to us about pick 5 , who knows we may take Griff or Cooney for it which will give you Fev.

What about clayton for pick 5.

Griff or Cooney....wake up and smell the roses......they are going no where.....FF.

SCRAY72 said:
Disagree
We would have gone into the finals with a defence that allows the opposition to score too freely,and two ruckmen that have played under 40 games.
History shows you can't go all the way in finals with a poor defence and without a top line ruckman. You could get away with one but not both.
It would have been good for the young guys to get some experience but the last 6 weeks were mini finals and they will now be hungrier going into next year.
You can't predict finals football....because it's just that...unpredictable. Momentum is a very powerful thing though..and the bulldogs had it. We’ll just never know….

RedLegs#5 said:
You can't predict finals football....because it's just that...unpredictable. Momentum is a very powerful thing though..and the bulldogs had it. We’ll just never know….

History is littered with "we'll never know.

Dogs in 1997. The ultimate "we'll never know"
Dees last year,losing to Essendon, how far could you have gone. "We'll never know" will we?
You guys have momentum this year and Geelong don't that means you are certs this week. Maybe maybe not.

There is no window and there is no clock. Draft well, trade well, be good to your mothers and prosper.

SCRAY72 said:
History is littered with "we'll never know.

Dogs in 1997. The ultimate "we'll never know"
Dees last year,losing to Essendon, how far could you have gone. "We'll never know" will we?
You guys have momentum this year and Geelong don't that means you are certs this week. Maybe maybe not.
I agree. But oh boy were you guys looking exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back