Bulldogs World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Russia vs Croatia easily the other one good game of the final eight. Croatia need to find a way to stop choking late, whether giving up late equalizers, or missing late penalties that would seal the game during regulation time. Glad they went through though as they pretty much controlled the game throughout and should have won during regular time, but Russia always finds a way to come back in it by pulling a goal out of no where. Was a great fairytale whilst it lasted, there were probably not even one of top 20 teams coming into the tournament, yet alone may not have qualified if they had to take that path. Just goes to show you cannot underestimate passion, home field advantage and the crowd behind you to lift you a couple of levels up. Shame they couldn't face each other in the semi finals instead, prefer both to England.

That was one of the best I've seen over a number of world cups. Degree of difficulty and execution. The Argentinians strike in the same game was also terrific. In both cases the goal keeper had no chance from a long way out. Hitting them well when that's the case.
Cheryshev a nice strike today.

If anyone needs a team to support, your #25 has Croatian bloodlines. We were pretty ******* excited Sunday morning!

I actually get to Croatia a couple of hours before the final - so a lot riding on the Semi for me.

AJMO VATRENI!!!
It'd be an exciting place to be. We've just been there and the people were very hospitable so I have some sympathy for Croatia in the World Cup.

That'd be unusual - they started in the same group (group G).

Belgium won 1-0 the first time round but the stakes weren't quite so high for that game.

I actually think England tanked that game to get the easy side of the draw.

I’m hoping for that game but I think the French will spoil the party.

I actually think England tanked that game to get the easy side of the draw.

I’m hoping for that game but I think the French will spoil the party.

Tanking never helps....

Ok, this time it certainly did.

I don't think England can beat France, so they have to hope for Belgium.

Tanking never helps....

Ok, this time it certainly did.

I don't think England can beat France, so they have to hope for Belgium.

Just as the tourney started I joked with my German mate that they would finish last in their group and the Poms would win it.

Was just a whind up but I may in fact be a genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as the tourney started I joked with my German mate that they would finish last in their group and the Poms would win it.

Was just a whind up but I may in fact be a genius.

God I hope not. One of my favourite highlights of every world cup was watching England enter with high hopes and fail miserably. Kinda like Richmond..... oh wait

Belgium - England final for me
Bias talking here - but unless England get hold of us on the set piece, Croatia have the ability to dominate this tie. Particularly with a Modric/Rakitic midfield.

Croatia's other main worry is their left-back, Strinic, if England push Sterling or Lingard out on the right-hand side they will have an absolute field day, and Croatia will need to sacrifice one of the midfielders coming across to help out.

Interesting one.

Bias talking here - but unless England get hold of us on the set piece, Croatia have the ability to dominate this tie. Particularly with a Modric/Rakitic midfield.

Croatia's other main worry is their left-back, Strinic, if England push Sterling or Lingard out on the right-hand side they will have an absolute field day, and Croatia will need to sacrifice one of the midfielders coming across to help out.

Interesting one.
For mine England's defence shits all over Croatias, particularly at centre back and left back, but Modric and Rakitic are miles ahead of Henderson and Lingard who are just solid B graders.

Kane is a slight upgrade on Mandzukic, but Mandzukic might play on the left instead of upfront. I rate Mandzukic highly though, on his day he's a beast, but he's playing the team role at both Juve and for his country at the moment playing wherever the coach needs him to play.

Trippier and Vrsaljko and Pickford and Subasic are probably the most even in their respective positions, though Trippiers dead balls have been excellent as of late. Does Subasic play? Was struggling with that hammy coming into extra time against Russia.

Alli and Sterling are the interesting two that could make or break England for mine. If they're on top of their game then England win, if they're not then Croatia need to capitalise.

Interesting one.

I’ve watched both teams and nothing I’ve seen tells me Croatia have the ability to dominate any tie mate.

England are a better team than Russia and you struggled past them. Actually have England as fav from what I’ve seen so far

Last edited:
I’ve watched both teams and nothing I’ve seen tells me Croatia have the ability to dominate any tie mate.

England are a better team than Russia and you struggled past them. Actually have England as fav from what I’ve seen so far
Respectfully, England haven't been totally convincing, Panama/Tunisia were pushovers, Belgium/England cleared benches in their game, England struggled against a Colombia team that aren't better than Croatia, and then meeting Sweden in a QF is an unbelievable stroke of luck (being on that side of the draw, as was the case for Croatia vs Russia ahead of Spain).

Just don't think this one is clear cut, particularly with Croatia likely controlling the tempo of the game. I will say it again though set pieces worry me.

I am predicting 1-1 in normal time, and then flip a coin from there.

For mine England's defence shits all over Croatias, particularly at centre back and left back, but Modric and Rakitic are miles ahead of Henderson and Lingard who are just solid B graders.

Kane is a slight upgrade on Mandzukic, but Mandzukic might play on the left instead of upfront. I rate Mandzukic highly though, on his day he's a beast, but he's playing the team role at both Juve and for his country at the moment playing wherever the coach needs him to play.

Trippier and Vrsaljko and Pickford and Subasic are probably the most even in their respective positions, though Trippiers dead balls have been excellent as of late. Does Subasic play? Was struggling with that hammy coming into extra time against Russia.

Alli and Sterling are the interesting two that could make or break England for mine. If they're on top of their game then England win, if they're not then Croatia need to capitalise.
I agree with all of this mate. No real mention of Rebic though, who has been a massive pleasant surprise for us - fancy him getting a big move over the summer (also after scoring 2 against Bayern in the cup final). Perisic hasn't perhaps reached his normal heights for us as yet, but like Sterling/Alli, if he is on top of his game he will be pretty hard to stop.

I think Subasic will be ok to start, he's been huge for us this tournament.

I agree with all of this mate. No real mention of Rebic though, who has been a massive pleasant surprise for us - fancy him getting a big move over the summer (also after scoring 2 against Bayern in the cup final). Perisic hasn't perhaps reached his normal heights for us as yet, but like Sterling/Alli, if he is on top of his game he will be pretty hard to stop.

I think Subasic will be ok to start, he's been huge for us this tournament.
Rebic, Kramaric, Perisic probably comparable to Alli and Sterling, but I feel the English pair have a higher ceiling than those guys if they get going

For me

GK even
DEF England
CM Croatia
ATT England but not by much

Rebic, Kramaric, Perisic probably comparable to Alli and Sterling, but I feel the English pair have a higher ceiling than those guys if they get going

For me

GK even
DEF England
CM Croatia
ATT England but not by much
For sure a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor, as you said... this is probably where the match is won and lost!

You lose points for saying "for mine"

Here's hoping someone gets the reference.

France will win the final by 3 goals

Croatia and England not even in the same class

Remove this Banner Ad

Back