Bulldogs World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in Munich & there was a decent amount of Croatian support, car horns going off everywhere now! Unbelievable they have made it, but France should do it comfortably in the final

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Well deserved Croatian win, always good to see the underdogs get up. Thought they’d struggle with fatigue the longer the match went on but they seemed to get stronger and stronger. Stones’ header is the only meaningful chance I can remember England having during the second half and extra time.

I think France should win the final. I’m predicting that it’ll be closer than your prediction MD but the France defense has been strong and it’s hard to see them getting broken down. 2-0 France but I’ll be barracking for the underdog.

Also looking forward to the rematch between Belgium’s seconds and England’s seconds. Januzaj to be the difference again

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well deserved Croatian win, always good to see the underdogs get up. Thought they’d struggle with fatigue the longer the match went on but they seemed to get stronger and stronger. Stones’ header is the only meaningful chance I can remember England having during the second half and extra time.

I think France should win the final. I’m predicting that it’ll be closer than your prediction MD but the France defense has been strong and it’s hard to see them getting broken down. 2-0 France but I’ll be barracking for the underdog.

Also looking forward to the rematch between Belgium’s seconds and England’s seconds. Januzaj to be the difference again

I’ve now watched Croatia 4 times and they are yet to impress me. France just have too much class for me. The goal to win was shockingly bad defense by Stones.

Which means Croatia will win because I couldn’t pick a bogger in this Cup.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Most looking forward to the inevitable VAR fiasco.

Winner: Germany last in group
Runners up: Brazil eliminated QF
Golden Ball: Neymar not even close
Golden Boot: Timo Warner 0 goals
Golden glove: David De Gea 1 save in 4 games, 6 goals conceded
Best young player: Kylian Mbappe he’ll walk it in

My predictions went well. Lucky I didn’t put any money on it

Croatia deserved the win. England had two meaningful strikes - Trippier's free kick for a goal and Stones' late header. They should have capitalised in the first 20 minutes when they were all over Croatia with their pace but they played conservatively and paid the price.

Croatia meanwhile just kept on trying and hauled themselves back into the game in the second half. They were unlucky not to have had the winner in regular time, especially with Perisic's shot hitting the upright.

I loved how they kept on attacking even after getting in front with 7 minutes left. Didn't sit back and let England come at them.

France to win the final 2-1 ... unless they underestimate the Croats.

This has probably been one of the most underwhelming WC finals I can recall for a very long time, mostly IMO due to the sub par performances from those teams which were expected to go far into the finals

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two teams with Red, White and Blue flags at least the colours are getting
a good run, the dollar value says France the Russian riot squads are kind
of hoping for a Croatia victory. Let them eat cake.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think it’s mattered who won this morning game but great for Croatia to make a final.

But does anyone else think their first goal should have nearly been a high foot? If it didn’t go in the ref probably calls it imo.

Croatia more chance of pulling off the upset but as I said earlier think it will be a walk in the park for France

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overjoyed. Get to watch the game in Zagreb with thousands of passionate supporters. It's like a dream that I never, ever thought would come true.

No matter the outcome of the final, I am filled with pride.
And so you should. Outstanding achievement for a country with such a small population (4.2m). It's less than that of New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.
SBS was saying Croatian domestic football is in crisis with corruption allegations etc so what they've achieved in Russia is even more impressive.

And it was no fluke. They've been one of the form sides of the whole tournament and have some genuine quality in their side.

Good luck against France.
NB: I had a dream that the World Cup would be won by a side whose national flag was Red White and Blue. Could be an omen! ;)

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
And so you should. Outstanding achievement for a country with such a small population (4.2m). It's less than that of New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.
SBS was saying Croatian domestic football is in crisis with corruption allegations etc so what they've achieved in Russia is even more impressive.

And it was no fluke. They've been one of the form sides of the whole tournament and have some genuine quality in their side.

Good luck against France.
NB: I had a dream that the World Cup would be won by a side whose national flag was Red White and Blue. Could be an omen! ;)

Luka Modric is on the hook for perjury in one of the cases of corruption. He could yet win the WC and go to prison. Bizarre situation to say the least.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Geez, Croatia do not deserve to be losing. Have controlled this game completely and France have not threatened in attack all game. Croatia are their own worst enemies right now, gifted France both goals through an own goal (or Griezmann dive without contact to set up the free kick), and a stupid penalty kick because the Croatian player stupidly had his arms flying around instead of tucked in. Croatia should be up by a goal or two on form. But those campaigners France will do nothing all game and still win this, sadly.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Been a good game so far.

Don’t like the penalty call but they have been paying that all tournament and it’s probably just something I’ll have to get use to with VAR.

Was very surprised the first goal stood. Pogba looked offside and I thought he influenced the play by contesting the header.

Hope Croatia have another goal in them, it would be rough to lose like this where they have made so much of the play.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Subasic playing with a torn hamstring was not the smartest it turns out. His inability to stretch is probably the difference.

France are pretty uninspiring winners imo, they've got a good defence and great individual talent but a great team of previous years (Spain and Germany) would have beaten them easily.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Deserving winners in the end. Defensively they were the best team in the tournament and they got enough goals from their offensive talent to do enough. Feel for Croatia, they were really good in that first half but luck didn’t really go their way. France was much better in the second half.

Was impressed by the French players who played within themselves for the sake of the team. Didn’t think Pogba was great today but had a really good World Cup.

They are a really young team. Only Matuidi, Giroud and maybe Loris won’t be around for Qatar 2022. Could see them going to the next level by then, they’ve won this before their time

So many Bulldog supporters in Paris at the moment.

23m3oe8.jpg

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
That's the worst thing, France are young, so expect to see their time wasting, diving, exaggerating, try get people sent off, classless act for another tournament or two.

They did win this one ahead of schedule. Their best players are in their mid 20's, and have a few young kids, by the time the next campaign comes around, their best players will be seasoned veterans and their kids will be hitting their peak age period, scary to think how good they could still be. If FIFA kept the tournament mid year, I think the European teams would have faltered in the hot as conditions, but since its been moved to be a winter edition, it will suit the European teams quite well.

Feel for Croatia, this was their golden generation and their best few players are already 29-31. Cannot see them making another deep run like this for a very long time, given the level of talent they need to replace, issues with the Croatian leagues and small population.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back