Bulls**t Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy to keep score if people want to DM me posters' claims. I don't mean here 'I hope' or 'I think', I mean posters who claim inside knowledge.

Now I know things change and that people with good inside mail don't control the world - and that things change. But there are also people who claim things which are just outright rejected and proven to be falsehoods. That's more where this thread is going.

In any case, if people with good mail are proven wrong, over time we're going to get a sense of how much stock to put into rumours - whether that's because it was never true or that things are just to fluid to predict.
And what will that achieve?

And what will that achieve?

It will achieve posters on this board knowing whether they should get their knickers in a twist about rumours which are more than likely not going to be substantiated.

It will also help distinguish those who have good mail from those who are simply making stuff up. And a category of those with tentative guesses. It is incredibly infuriating to have people come in here and stir up a hornet's nest every off-season so they can build their personal footy site.

I'm not saying ban it. I'm saying keep a record of it so that people can make their own judgments.
Again, what does it matter?
Some are right, some are wrong.
What's the point of a name and shame record?
It's your choice to engage or not, or believe or not

This would just create a very unpleasant environment

I am struggling with the idea of this guy running a credibility index

143683.jpg

I am struggling with the idea of this guy running a credibility index

143683.jpg
Genuine gold,
Laughed loudly.

(Nothing to do with old spice, just the pick up on the picture)

Again, what does it matter?
Some are right, some are wrong.
What's the point of a name and shame record?
It's your choice to engage or not, or believe or not

This would just create a very unpleasant environment

Why does it matter? It matters because the site becomes clogged with shite about bogus trades. From there posters start talking about the virtues of Ramsay over Williams or Oxley. If x player who will replace Y player is better. In general it stirs up a toxic culture by virtue of trade scenerios that are often entirely fabricated.

What's the point? The fact is most people won't remember what a poster projected a year ago, let alone over several years. This will be like a way station for people to judge whether or not to trust that posters judgment. Kind of like movie or restaurant reviews. Personally speaking, I like to know someone's prior judgments before I trust them as a reviewer. It's a nice service. You might have done it yourself when you look at a movie, album or restaurant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get people like to know stuff.

And I'm happy to encourage people who have tentative knowledge even to come forward with it, so don't get me wrong. But what I'd like to see the end of is this rash of bullshit which arrives every trade period and is always wrong and cynically designed to attract hits. It's bullshit.

If people have hunches that are proved wrong, but they're presented as hunches, I don't see how they'll be slayed. This is just a scoreboard and a guide.

Why does it matter? It matters because the site becomes clogged with shite about bogus trades. From there posters start talking about the virtues of Ramsay over Williams or Oxley. If x player who will replace Y player is better. In general it stirs up a toxic culture by virtue of trade scenerios that are often entirely fabricated.

What's the point? The fact is most people won't remember what a poster projected a year ago, let alone over several years. This will be like a way station for people to judge whether or not to trust that posters judgment. Kind of like movie or restaurant reviews. Personally speaking, I like to know someone's prior judgments before I trust them as a reviewer. It's a nice service. You might have done it yourself when you look at a movie, album or restaurant.
you need to distinguish between hypothetical and fabricated imo. Hypotheticals are fine, most of the fabricated stuff is easy to pick up or is echoing whatever the media is spouting out at that particular time. People using rumors as click bate might be an issue but I've never really noticed it tbh. At the end of the day it's fairly easy to work out who is full of it on here imo, especially if you've spent any amount of time on here.

I have no idea on how the internets work but surely there isn't very much money to be made from conning people on bigfooty with trade rumours?

you need to distinguish between hypothetical and fabricated imo. Hypotheticals are fine, most of the fabricated stuff is easy to pick up or is echoing whatever the media is spouting out at that particular time. People using rumors as click bate might be an issue but I've never really noticed it tbh. At the end of the day it's fairly easy to work out who is full of it on here imo, especially if you've spent any amount of time on here.

I have no idea on how the internets work but surely there isn't very much money to be made from conning people on bigfooty with trade rumours?

I'll start with the last part first. There is definitely a lot of money to be made from making up football bullshit as I'm sure you're aware. It gets site hits which equates to money which is precisely why Paige Cordona people do it every single year.

In terms of guessing or speculating - we all do that and that's fine when we state that's what we're doing. What I think we need to do is hold people to account when they make definitive claims. We might just end up with a reasonable guide.

Unless of course we want to be deluded. Be an interesting study in human behaviour.

I'll start with the last part first. There is definitely a lot of money to be made from making up football bullshit as I'm sure you're aware. It gets site hits which equates to money which is precisely why Paige Cordona people do it every single year.

In terms of guessing or speculating - we all do that and that's fine when we state that's what we're doing. What I think we need to do is hold people to account when they make definitive claims. We might just end up with a reasonable guide.

Unless of course we want to be deluded. Be an interesting study in human behaviour.
I understand how hits would equate to money, I just didn't think that it'd be very much once you factor in that's it's only for trade week and not that many people really care that much (my assumption). Do you know who the posters are who make stuff up and do they directly link the sites in their posts or are they more subtle in the way they go about it?

I understand how hits would equate to money, I just didn't think that it'd be very much once you factor in that's it's only for trade week and not that many people really care that much (my assumption). Do you know who the posters are who make stuff up and do they directly link the sites in their posts or are they more subtle in the way they go about it?

You'll see soon enough

As an ex-mod I find it entirely reasonable.

There is so much s**t posted on here, during trade period in particular, that I'd like posters to be held to account. If a new poster arrives, or a rebadged poster, then they probably get the respect they deserve. If they build credibility over time, they'll be taken seriously.

I just find it so infuriating and objectionable that people come in here - particularly from that Paige Cordona site which just is caught out every year in a web of lies which they fabricate - and clog up the board with nonsense in order that she makes a pile of cash.

Beside finding it objectionable personally, it also encourages a poisonous culture on the board where people take those ridiculous trade rumours seriously and then start proposing trade scenarios which often encourages fans to disparage X player versus Y player whom we should keep etc.
Should have "virtual Stocks" in the middle of the board where we can chuck cyber tomatoes and electronic road apples at the least accurate...:thumbsu::thumbsu::D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back