Bunch of campaigners #1 - The Australian Christian Lobby

Remove this Banner Ad

The tone of the SRP board would also improve if people could recognize an analogy when they see one. :D

I recognised that it was a terrible analogy.

I'll stack my scholastical knowledge on biblical studies against ACL supporters

...and come up short?

Both groups are extremist, not broadly representative of their faith, and while their means are different, their end is the same, a society based around a rigid interpretation of their holy book. I'll stand by the analogy.
The analogy was perfectly fine.

The Speaker misrepresented you by saying you were equating the ACL to ISIS.

Which you clearly weren't.

Both groups are extremist

Bad word to use - too hard to define, too easy to use to smear people you just disgree with.

not broadly representative of their faith

Very debatable in both cases. The ACL is a political lobby group, so their methods are not typical of churches, because they're not a church. Their beliefs, however, are orthodox, and therfore very much representative of Christianity.

ISIS can also make a claim to be a legitimate representation of Islam, though that is a deep rabbit hole to go down.

and while their means are different, their end is the same, a society based around a rigid interpretation of their holy book.

How similar do you think a society run by the ACL would be to ISIS controlled Syria and Iraq?

I'll stand by the analogy.

You know full well that there are many other groups you could have made a better, closer analogy with, but no, you just had to go with the genocidal terrorist organisation.

It won't be too long before they become the new Nazi comparison.

Actually you didn't recognize it as an analogy at all. Hence my post.

The Speaker misrepresented you by saying you were equating the ACL to ISIS.

Which you clearly weren't.

It wasn't, and he was.

An analogy is designed to draw comparisons of similarity, conciously and subconciously. To use ISIS as the comparison for a Christian lobby group is deliberately provocative.

Both are a minority trying to impose their world view on a majority.

Every political group that has ever and will ever exist, in whatever form they take, starts out as a minority and attempts to convince a majority of the population of the truth of their own view.

An analogy is designed to draw comparisons of similarity, conciously and subconciously. To use ISIS as the comparison for a Christian lobby group is deliberately provocative.
See, you don't even know what he wasn't comparing. No wonder you don't get the analogy.

He wasn't using ISIS as a comparison to ACL at all.

The comparison was between the unrepresentative nature between ACL & Christianity and the similar unrepresentative nature between ISIS & the Muslim faith.

The underlined is where the comparison in the analogy lies.

Think man.

Last edited:
See, you don't even know what he wasn't comparing. No wonder you don't get the analogy.

He wasn't using ISIS as a comparison to ACL at all.

The comparison was between the unrepresentative nature between ACL & Christianity and the similar unrepresentative nature between ISIS & the Muslim faith.

The underlined is where the comparison in the analogy lies.

Think man.

I know what the comparison was. If you're going to pretend that I don't, do not respond.

He's too offended to think.

Not even close. I take it you're not going to reply to my request from earlier.

I know what the comparison was. If you're going to pretend that I don't, do not respond.
You do now that I informed you.....

It's been my pleasure to assist. :)

Both groups are extremist, not broadly representative of their faith, and while their means are different, their end is the same, a society based around a rigid interpretation of their holy book. I'll stand by the analogy.

The ACL is lobbying for a theocracy?

About as valid as using Damian Drum and Jose Mourinho in the same sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please don't give them ideas.

Yes once they got control then we'd see the power rush come out. We'd have the Spanish inquisition, witch hunting, strict observance of the sabbath, Also the priest hood getting right into the little boys & girls at school. Itd'd be like the good old days again.!!
Power corrupts & absolute power is what the religious nutters want.

Not even close. I take it you're not going to reply to my request from earlier.

Sherb is a perfect example of Lenin's famous quote about useful ******, not sure she's ever had an original thought.

Wandered past Parliament House on the way home from the market today as these campaigners were setting up for their 'march for the babies' rally. Massive police presence given there will only be a couple of thousand in attendance (at most)

Goes to show just how much these gutter campaigners are despised by the general public

Wandered past Parliament House on the way home from the market today as these campaigners were setting up for their 'march for the babies' rally. Massive police presence given there will only be a couple of thousand in attendance (at most)

Goes to show just how much these gutter campaigners are despised by the general public

yes, nothing more despicable than opposing the death of unborn children

Remove this Banner Ad

Back