wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Just like that, its back again – the 2020/21 Bayernliga Farmersliga Bundesliga and DFB Pokal thread.

We’ve got two new(ish) teams to welcome – VfB Stuttgart and Arminia Bielefeld (who were the runaway winners of the 2.BL). In fact, Arminia have been one of the more successful lower league clubs – they made the Semi Finals of the Pokal in 2014-15, with victories over Hertha Berlin, Werder Bremen and Borussia Mönchengladbach. Up until last year, they’d been bobbling around the bottom of the 2.BL and top of the 3.BL, so its great to have them and Stuttgart back at the expense of Paderborn and Düsseldorf.

Something a little different – here is a map from the yearly Kicker magazine of the location of each club in the top 3 leagues. Note: Bayern II are in the 3.Liga, but can’t progress to the second league, even though they won last year, due to Bundesliga rulings.

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 16.09.45.png

1.BL Stadium List
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 21.17.33.png

2.BL Stadium List
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 21.19.05.png

3. BL Stadium List
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 21.19.53.png

Back to the first league.....

Winning Odds (As of 16/09/2020)
  • Bayern (1,18)
  • Dortmund (7,00)
  • Leipzig (20,00)
  • Bor. M’Gladbach (50,00)
  • Bayer Leverkusen (50,00)
Winning Odds WITHOUT Bayern

• Dortmund (1,50)
  • Leipzig (6,50)
  • Gladbach (9,00)
  • Leverkusen (11,00)
My Big Questions for this year
  • What must happen for Bayern to NOT win the league?
  • Will we see full stadiums this year?
  • Who will go down by the end of the season
  • Which of the current young stars will become a world class player
  • Will we see the Bundesliga transfer record broken?

Last edited:

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
League games kick off this Friday with Bayern v Sch***e - however we've already had one round of the DFB Pokal. A few noteworthy losses, such as both Berlin teams losing to lesser opponents, both Hamburg teams losing to lower ranked teams, and newly promoted Bielefeld losing to Rot-Weiss Essen.

Bayern play their game in the middle of October due to their late season finish to end the round.

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 18.24.41.png

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
My Big Questions for this year

To answer my own questions....

• Injuries to key players at key times. Bayern have a packed schedule this year - they'll average 1 game every 4,3 days. Thats a lot of match time for a club with not a huge squad. IF anyone is going to pounce, they'll need to do so, whilst hoping that Bayern lose some key players. Having Lewandowski out would be a help - however, I can't remember one time in the last 10 seasons where he's missed more than a few weeks in a row.
    • I don't think so. There will be already crowds this weekend - 10,000 in Dortmund for example - and there were quite a few at the cup games in MeckPomm (one of the eastern states). However, I fully expect COVID to intensify over the winter, and restrictions to tighten again.
    • I'm putting my money on Augsburg and Mainz. Both teams played awfully last year - they were lucky that Paderborn were probably the worst team to play in the BL in recent memory (yes, even Braunschweig had Bellarabi and Fürth had Johannes Geis). Düsseldorf also stank. But these two teams really suck. I think Union will be another lower middle table team this year, and Arminia were very well coached last year, and played a really nice brand of football. I don't think it will come to this, but Sch•lke are also terrible and I hope they go down.
    • I think our next to go world class (if not already) is Davis. Probably top 2 in the world right now in his position. Other than that - from what I've seen of Bellingham the last few weeks has been nothing short of amazing. He's a mash up of Gündogan and Bender. This was his debut on Monday - so good.
    • If you include next summers transfer window, then yes. It's currently Dembele at €105m, but Sancho will destroy that next summer. If any club ponies up for Alphonso Davis, than that could be just as high, but I can't see him going anywhere. Fast forward a few years, and I totally expect Bellingham to break all sorts of records. He'll end up being the most expensive Englishman ever.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Went to Hertha Berlin v Düsseldorf cup game in Berlin last year. 35000 away Düsseldorf fans at the game. Hertha won on penalties after 3-3 during normal/extra time. Hoping Hertha can move on after Klinsmann was there.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Went to Hertha Berlin v Düsseldorf cup game in Berlin last year. 35000 away Düsseldorf fans at the game. Hertha won on penalties after 3-3 during normal/extra time. Hoping Hertha can move on after Klinsmann was there.

Even though it’s super s**t to watch football at, When it’s full, Olympiastadion is amazing. Was with the Dortmund ultras a couple years ago

c51f2a5d7fc69c1bb37a69b6452b3d3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Even though it’s super sh*t to watch football at, When it’s full, Olympiastadion is amazing. Was with the Dortmund ultras a couple years ago

c51f2a5d7fc69c1bb37a69b6452b3d3a.jpg

I went on a big euro trip and saw some big games (Chelsea v Liverpool, United v Arsenal etc) but the atmosphere there was the best I’ve seen. Flares going off, crowd buzzing all game and chanting non-stop. Like you said, didn’t matter that we were so far from the pitch, everything else made up for it.

I just want a sustained title challenge from Gladbach. In no way do I think we will win it, but being in touch with Bayern and Dortmund at the end of the season would be nice instead of dropping right off again.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
sh*t! League wise that’s not a good start to the season

I wouldn’t read too much into it yet - Bayern beat Barcelona 8-2 and added Sane to their team, whilst S04 are a relegation candidate. I think Bayern will belt a few teams this year and drop points at random moments. But we should be under no illusion that they’re probably going to win their 9th in a row. Let’s just hope 2-5 aren’t too far behind

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Oh man. Can’t wait for the video of that Haaland/Sancho goal. Literally threw my beer in the air. Holy * that was insane

Back