News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if anyone heard kochie on SEN a few weeks back. Kane asked him about burgess, he resoundingly said we wouldnt get him back and it was his choice to leave.
Way he said it sounds like there was some bad blood there. Not surprised he isn't back with us.

To be fair, he is a flight risk, but probably the best fitness guy in the country.

Dunno if anyone heard kochie on SEN a few weeks back. Kane asked him about burgess, he resoundingly said we wouldnt get him back and it was his choice to leave.
Way he said it sounds like there was some bad blood there. Not surprised he isn't back with us.

To be fair, he is a flight risk, but probably the best fitness guy in the country.

Sounds like the "blame game" at Port started a little bit earlier than we think.

With Mckenna coming out and talking about Robinson and Dank the other day and someone posted in reply to tribey's list of things we achieved in the first 2 or 3 years of the KKK regime, asking where is the long term pay off, and the replyer saying maybe it was just Ports catching up to AFL average from a very low base, it has me thinking was Burgo's first two years just good timing rather than him being anything super special.

We were very unfit in 2011-12, early 2013 the Essendon drugs saga hits the industry, the cheats back off, dont want to be caught, Burgo pushes us hard to make us AFL standard, others can't get their usual "supplements" program going, we catch up, our players have some self belief and we look to be flying.

Post 2014 season, Burgo keeps us at a high standard, but we aren't anything special. We have lost the fitness advantage we appeared to have in 2013 and 2014. So Burgo isn't that much better than the other good head fitness guys in the AFL.

Brugess is a fantastic get for Melb. The bloke is world class in his field. I understand everyone wants to blame someone and he worked us too hard etc etc, but that is all bulls**t. Everyone else just caught up.

My issue is not about how good he is, it's about how he pissed off for greener pastures, twice.

Our ability to run out games and injury management seems to be pretty spot on, and our players have decent muscle mass too so I wouldn't have swapped him in either.

I find it harder than most to begrudge him leaving PAFC as he did when a club like Arsenal come knocking, like it or not AFL clubs are a speck in the ocean compared to international behomeths like the big EPL teams. But getting the sack after a couple years says he didn't exactly set the world alight there either.

Still wouldn't surprise me to see him come back to the club in some capacity when he inevitably returns back to Adelaide.

I look forward to Melbourne being skinny little runt runners who are cooked within 3 years.. not that it matters much considering where they are.
Burgo - wants to make them to be skinny middle distance runners. Goodwin - wants them bulked up to be big bulls, and contested ball winners. How long will the partnership last??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgo - wants to make them to be skinny middle distance runners. Goodwin - wants them bulked up to be big bulls, and contested ball winners. How long will the partnership last??
Burgo could outlast Goodwin if they don't get back in contention next year.

The only thing Darren Burgess cares about is Darren Burgess.

I look forward to seeing prime Angus Bradshaw working hardery on a half forward flank because he can’t kick over a jam tin in two years time.

If you were offered 3 times the salary, what would you do?

Take it, but I wouldn't get my wife to ring the club to get me a job when it didn't work out and then do the exact same thing a couple of years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back