News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

An observation was made by someone and they think the balance between Sports Science and Football at the club is tipped the wrong way. I was told that he said if the choice is between managing load or taking more set shots to improve goal kicking, you take more set shots.

I guess it's like tennis. If your backhand is failing, you stay on the court until you get it right.

An observation was made by someone and they think the balance between Sports Science and Football at the club is tipped the wrong way. I was told that he said if the choice is between managing load or taking more set shots to improve goal kicking, you take more set shots.

I guess it's like tennis. If your backhand is failing, you stay on the court until you get it right.

To clarify, who is it that you said you take more shots ? Burgess ?

Anyone want to give me a quick rundown of why Burgess is hated and how he cooked the list?
Burgess keep saying players don't know how much pain they can endure at some point. So he pushed the players.

Our kicking is s**t. If we kicked straight on goal we would get a 45 second break after each goal but we continually miss and dont get those breaks in play. We turn the ball over too much, so we have to do more running than necessary, so Burgess made them train more to compensate for a kick it to the shithouse in the forward line game plan and then try and win the the stoppage.

Ken built his game plan around the Burgo fitness philosophy.

Skills were traded off for running. You win on the scoreboard, not how many Kms players can run in a game.

Anyone want to give me a quick rundown of why Burgess is hated and how he cooked the list?

Sure, heres some links to timely threads about past misdeeds

For what its worth, I heard that the club is a bit unhappy with Burgess, and that he ran the players ragged during the preseason to an unhealthy extent.
Hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere on this board but can't find a thread.

Darren Burgess has maintained that there are no fitness issues at Alberton.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23886742-12428,00.html

The comments come in an article by Zac Milbank which also states that both Troy Chaplin and Dean Brogan argued the side does not have fitness issues and quotes Chaplin saying that the team needs to learn to dig in and fight it's way out of trouble when under the pump.

"He (Darren Burgess) has debunked claims that the side's poor record this year is due in part to fitness issues, suggests that the problem relates to mental application and says Dale Comerford was a good appointee for the club.

PORT Adelaide's floundering season is all centred on mental, not physical, problems.

So says former Power fitness coach Darren Burgess, who left Alberton in January to spearhead the Socceroos' World Cup campaign.

While Port coach Mark Williams claimed his side's lack of fitness has contributed to the club's concerning 4-8 record, Burgess doesn't buy into that argument.

"I'd love to say yes but I don't think so," Burgess, who spent three years with the Power, said.

"I remember vividly in my first year there (2005) we faded out a lot in the last quarter and people were saying fitness this and fitness that.

"Our numbers and information suggested otherwise. I think it's probably more a mental and discipline thing.

"I don't think it's a fitness thing.

"I'm in no real position to comment on what exactly is going on within the club but I certainly wouldn't subscribe to that (fitness)."

Port's fadeouts, particularly in the final term, have been a disaster in 2008. Losses to Brisbane (round four) and Carlton (round 11) at AAMI Stadium - with victory all but sewn up - have had a demoralising impact on the playing group.

But the fact the Power was able to overcome Fremantle, on the wide expanses of Subiaco in round 10, proves the physical conditioning of the playing group is not an issue.

Port defender Troy Chaplin, echoing the sentiments of team-mate Dean Brogan, said the fact Port had a later start to pre-season - due to the grand final - wasn't a factor.

"No, I don't think so," Chaplin said when asked if the fitness level was below par at Port.

"It's been well documented earlier in the year we had guys who were running PB's (personal bests). Guys really worked hard through that eight weeks off and came back as fit as anyone had ever been.

"It think it's more in the head, pushing when things are down.

"When the chips are down it's about getting yourself out of that situation and working hard."

Burgess, who resigned in December, stayed on at Alberton until late January to ensure players' preparations for 2008 were not interrupted.

"We certainly didn't do anything differently in 2008 to what we did in 2007," Burgess explained. "And everybody said in 2007 our fitness was good - so I don't think it's a fitness issue."

With the young but experienced Daniel Comerford now at the fitness helm, Burgess said Port's future was in safe hands.

Comerford has a broad knowledge base, having worked in hockey, rugby union and basketball, as well as clocking up seven seasons in the AFL with Collingwood.

His qualifications are excellent and his experience within football is excellent as well," Burgess said of his successor."I'm not too sure where they're heading in the future but I was part of the committee that interviewed him and his credentials were very good."
Comerford is not continuing in the same role, but Port haven't said he's been fired.
And Burgess also ****** off during preseason for another job, which I remember distinctly being told by so many people on this board that it wouldn't affect our performance for the year - HAH!
- Falloon to anyone was obvious. I am still reserved on Burgess, as I am still not sure he can get our guys to be anything other than 2007 runners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Burgess hate is a tad unfair. He is world renowned in his field. Sure, things haven't worked out at Arsenal, but if you meet the guy, he is an absolute champion bloke.
At an academic level he's probably genuinely elite. Doesn't mean he's elite at putting it in to practice.

I think the Burgess hate is a tad unfair. He is world renowned in his field. Sure, things haven't worked out at Arsenal, but if you meet the guy, he is an absolute champion bloke.
I don't like him because he took the time to lie to me via DM.

I think that Burgess probably is in the same camp as Hinkley.

Able to achieve a short term boost with a list but incapable of winning it outside of that time.

Ie kicks everyone into gear, gets a fitness level increase, gets people motivated - players and club officials, ‘achieves cutting edge’ fitness, fits well with a work harder gameplan, then hits a ceiling. I’m not sure he is able to achieve the consistency that an Andrew Russell or others have. I’m also not sure he would work well at a struggling young list like Carlton. He probably would be perfect for Melbourne. Reinvigorate the older guys, slim down Petracca, Viney, etc and turn them into runners. Suddenly the lack of outside run is covered up as their inside mids are able to get to more contests and run the ball more.

Port’s list is more mixed. Some need to lighten up (Wines) others need to add some muscle (Amon, Bonner), whilst some need to be tested in new ways to keep interested (Boak, Gray, Westhoff).

I think the high performance manager also needs to factor in the mental and mental health side of things. To be honest, I’m not sure any club is well set up in this department.

Hinkley was asked if the club would be in contact with Burgess, and he said that he's sure they would have already had discussions about what his role could be since the fitness staff still consult with him all the time. He said that high quality people are always welcome at Port Adelaide, but that Burgess might take a look at who we have on our books (in terms of high performance) and say we don't really need any help and 'good luck'.

Weird how this plays into Hinkley’s Work Hardery For Longery gameplan only working when Burgess was around/the players were being cooked.

Its almost as though its a gameplan based around nonsensical fitness demands that no AFL team can endure on a prolonged basis

Also, Burgess to Saints
Melbourne just sacked David Misson...

He would suit Melbourne - players and gameplan. I would even think he nabs them a flag.
That’s if the players don’t sook again and decide his training camp is too hard and chose to have bonding time with their coach down the TAB instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back