News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird how this plays into Hinkley’s Work Hardery For Longery gameplan only working when Burgess was around/the players were being cooked.

Its almost as though its a gameplan based around nonsensical fitness demands that no AFL team can endure on a prolonged basis

Also, Burgess to Saints

Yet back in 2014 Burgess' methods seemed to bear fruit. We were easily the best last quarter side in the AFL and many of us put that down to a superior fitness regime. Then again in 2014 I was beginning to think Hinkley was the Messiah. Shows how wrong you can be.

Hopefully Koch has also learned something and will not be on the hot line to Burgess.

I think we need to move on from Burgess. He's had 2 stints at the club and both times he's bailed for opportunities in the UK. Our fitness department has been fine in his absence. Most of our recent injuries are impact injuries and our soft tissue injuries aren't out of the norm. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I think we need to move on from Burgess. He's had 2 stints at the club and both times he's bailed for opportunities in the UK. Our fitness department has been fine in his absence. Most of our recent injuries are impact injuries and our soft tissue injuries aren't out of the norm. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Plus we need the exorbitant price he would ask to fund our next coach.

Sucked in Burgo, self centred, leaving us mid season was an unfair move and leaving us knowing you were supposed to be the heart of our world class HP centre which seems to have fizzled. . Don’t want you back. Our young ones are coming along nicely.

I saw Charles Watts at one of the World Cup games at The Oval the other day. He was looking cooked too. His mate Michael was looking much better though.
Haha I thought Charlie looked alright for a septogenarian. Even Mick looked OK. Their mate Keith is another matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, our entire fitness department is the same as when he left. We are still implementing the existing regime he put in place. It ain’t broken because they are all his deciples and nothing’s changed.

Getting him back is a no from me, mainly because of his salary - not his intellect or philosophy. He would’ve been our highest paid employee including players when he was last here.

His wage in the UK was over double that of any player in the AFL. His wife hates the UK but it was a short term life changing stint for them.

To be fair, our entire fitness department is the same as when he left. We are still implementing the existing regime he put in place. It ain’t broken because they are all his deciples and nothing’s changed.

Getting him back is a no from me, mainly because of his salary - not his intellect or philosophy. He would’ve been our highest paid employee including players when he was last here.

His wage in the UK was over double that of any player in the AFL. His wife hates the UK but it was a short term life changing stint for them.

Yep. We’re still running Burgess’ program and I’m pretty sure McKeown was/is in contact with him regularly. It just seems better after he left because the first few years of the program were all about building up a non existent fitness base in a short space of time after years of neglect and incompetence.

I’d give him a consultancy role - not a full time gig, just doing what he’s been doing while at Arsenal.

None of this is in dispute. I just don't think we need him at all and view him as a massive flight risk.

If the Southern Expansion won the licence for the 3rd A League team he would have had a job as Craig Foster and his team appointed him as their fitness adviser as part of their bid a few months again. The team was to based in the St George / Kogarah area in Sydney and play games in Wollongong as the bid was supported by 3 football associations 2 in southern Sydney and the Wollongong and Illawara association.

The South West MaCarthur team won the bid and they will be based around Campbelltown Lang Walker is the major part owner of that team. He could pay Burgo''s wage - UK fee amount - if he really wants Burgo.

Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice, shame on you.
Fool me thrice, welcome to Port Adelaide.

Yep. We’re still running Burgess’ program and I’m pretty sure McKeown was/is in contact with him regularly. It just seems better after he left because the first few years of the program were all about building up a non existent fitness base in a short space of time after years of neglect and incompetence.

I’d give him a consultancy role - not a full time gig, just doing what he’s been doing while at Arsenal.
Yeah let him stay with soccer - the socceroos or mathildas or both as the FFA could afford him to even work with junior national teams and Port sign him to a reasonable priced consultancy so he has minimal input but doesn't sign up for another club like he did with Freo 6-8 months after he left us for the Socceroos in 2008.

Or...here’s an opportunity

*, imagine being coached by Simon Goodwin with Darren Burgess as your head of fitness. Wouldn't be surprised to see a player drop dead at training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back