News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

If Saunders comes on board wouldn't it be as a demotion?
Depends if he is full time or part time, or comes on board as some sort of consultant, ie didn't want to jump on a plane to Melbourne every week, didn't want to do it full time either as has his clinic. Being an adjunct lecturer/prof at Uni SA, suggests there will be some involvement via the Burgo academy program set up if North Melbourne supporters correctly heard that he was going to work at Port, but weren't given full details.

McKeown elevated to Head of HP, has 5 years experience with the group and the systems. Understands Burgess' methods, highly regarded in his own right... I'm happy with that.

Saunders was already only working part time at North. He might fill McKeown's role or there could be a shuffle in the department.

So after a world wide search we've gone the internal promotion route. Interesting. I suspect Burgo probably had a sniff around and figured we already have an industry leading program and staff so why change too much? Hopefully this will prove a good appointment.

So after a world wide search we've gone the internal promotion route. Interesting. I suspect Burgo probably had a sniff around and figured we already have an industry leading program and staff so why change too much? Hopefully this will prove a good appointment.
Not uncommon thing that happens out there in the corporate world. Test the market to see if there is anyone vastly better than you have internally out there is available.

He was out on the ground and I noticed him at the northern end do the warm up stuff pregame. First I wondered if it was Burgo with his #1 haircut but when a few players stood next to him I knew it had to be Mackers as he was too short to be Burgo.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

We are hardly industry leading anymore and haven't been for close on 3 years, the results show for themselves, we couldn't outrun an old man west coast.

We are hardly industry leading anymore and haven't been for close on 3 years, the results show for themselves, we couldn't outrun an old man west coast.
We did out run them, the problem was we wasted too much energy running and not concentrating on kicking goals. Kick goals and you have a 45 second break to recover. WC are a lot better kicking side so they didnt have to run as far as us. When Charlie ( pretty sure it was Charlie) sprints thru the mid field burns off two opponents puts in a beautiful kick to Impey 35m out at northern end, 15-20m clear of anyone and drops a basic mark you expect an AFL player to mark and then *en fumbles and bumbles it when its bounced 10m back towards the middle of the ground off his hands and a WC defender comes and bumps him and picks up the ball and puts in a 40m kick to a team mate who marks, we have just unnecisarily wasted a s**t load of energy when we should have kicked a goal. Fitness wasn't an issue. Skills, footy brains and mental disintegration were.

I've been following McKeown on Twitter for a while, seems to know his stuff. I reckon we'll be happy with him until some EPL club throws bag full of cash at him.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Meh I don't care, our fitness plan's been wrong for nigh on 3 years and we should have gotten someone in allowed to do their own thing. Sorry but you never get the best if someone is happy to take another person's high profile job and then be constrained to the previous person's rules and regs, no one worth their salt would sign up for that.

Another opportunity for change goes begging, really.

For what it's worth, he's clearly capable but it's hardly inspiring. From my perspective I just don't trust the club to make impartial decisions at the moment. They all have such a big fat love in from top to (almost) bottom, but this thankfully no longer seems to be extending to the list which is good.

His accent is a bit strong but seems an upbeat type of bloke.
Having just watched the video and remembering this post, I'm going to guess you've never been to Ireland? :p

Irish accents get much thicker than McKeown's, to the point that it's hard to work out which language is being spoken.

Yes, subtitles. Nah I'm just joking. I sometimes personally have problems with the Irish accent but his isn't too bad.
My father has a stronger Irish accent than that, and he's been in Australia for more years than you would have had roast dinners. ;)

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having just watched the video and remembering this post, I'm going to guess you've never been to Ireland? :p

Irish accents get much thicker than McKeown's, to the point that it's hard to work out which language is being spoken.
My father has a stronger Irish accent than that, and he's been in Australia for more years than you would have had roast dinners. ;)
Yes I was just kidding.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Another opportunity for change goes begging, really.

For what it's worth, he's clearly capable but it's hardly inspiring. From my perspective I just don't trust the club to make impartial decisions at the moment. They all have such a big fat love in from top to (almost) bottom, but this thankfully no longer seems to be extending to the list which is good.
Yea I feel the same another bald twig this time with an accent I don't see big arsed opponent crushing warriors on the horizon.

The only thing that annoys me is that the press release reads like it was written in the Fages School of PR.

The way port feels when it writes a press release saying "international talent"

931.jpg

Back