News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing you blokes should know is maccas is more than capable of this role. Essentially he is running Burgos program, not setting it up from scratch. With burgo gone, we just saved ourselves 800k a year. I'd assume the rest of the fitness dept. gets a raise because they've all been under paid to accomodate burgo but that still leaves a big sack of cash we can use elsewhere. Like a kicking coach etc

For what it's worth I'm totally happy with this. My only knock on the maccas burgo combo is players aren't as heavy in the ass and thighs as I'd like them to be.

One thing you blokes should know is maccas is more than capable of this role. Essentially he is running Burgos program, not setting it up from scratch. With burgo gone, we just saved ourselves 800k a year. I'd assume the rest of the fitness dept. gets a raise because they've all been under paid to accomodate burgo but that still leaves a big sack of cash we can use elsewhere. Like a kicking coach etc

For what it's worth I'm totally happy with this. My only knock on the maccas burgo combo is players aren't as heavy in the ass and thighs as I'd like them to be.

Lol sorry I read the highlighted bit as Maccas burger combo and thought, well they soon will be heavy in the ass! :D

How have we saved ourselves $800k a year? Was that the difference between Burgo's pay and Macca's? Were we putting resources into the Burgo academy we no longer will do so, or are you saying Burgo was paid $800k a year?

Anyone that has spent that long with burgess is guaranteed to know their stuff and the system inside out. Not to mention he has a PhD and experience. That's a good appointment. As others have mentioned, you've saved money and you have stability behind the scenes which is always important.

Anyone that has spent that long with burgess is guaranteed to know their stuff and the system inside out. Not to mention he has a PhD and experience. That's a good appointment. As others have mentioned, you've saved money and you have stability behind the scenes which is always important.
Wrong... I could spend 5 years with burgess and no * all and still drink to much beer and eat triple quarter pounders no onion/pickle add bacon.... * now I'm hungry... I'll just have another beer...

Excuse my ignorance but I follow several teams across different sporting codes and it's only through Port/Burgo/McKeown that I see 'sports science' being emphasised.

Not saying it's bad or anything but for me it's made a big deal at Port specifically.

Excuse my ignorance but I follow several teams across different sporting codes and it's only through Port/Burgo/McKeown that I see 'sports science' being emphasised.

Not saying it's bad or anything but for me it's made a big deal at Port specifically.

And when we draft players that can kick the ball 40 metres to position we will be unbeatable.

If your follow AC Milan you would have read a lot about the MilanLab between about 2003 and 2012. After 2012 the original director left and they did such a good job keeping champs going until their mid 30's that when they all left within a couple of years they had a hole in their list. Sir Alex Ferguson appointed a couple of senior sports scientists around 2003 and he credits them for being able to score so many goals in injury time.

Last edited:
The emphasis on Sports Science I think is the club's wish to be a best practice organisation. This means that the club tries not only to keep up with the latest research but participates in the development and training of high performance athletes. This means that they are looking for people who have an interest in research.

Where we need to be careful in the the long run is not to think that the knowledge of science makes a better strength and conditioning expert. I have seen a couple of guys rush their technique in the gym but I was enthused by what the American Strength and Conditioning coach said.“It’s not just about what they do but how they do it". This shows me the strength and condition coach and not the Sports Scientist.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Irish Times Saturday March 9th 2013:

" Sports science, without question, is the biggest & most important change in my lifetime. It has moved the game onto another level that maybe we never dreamt of all those years ago. Sports Science has brought a whole new dimension to the game."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sir Alex Ferguson, Irish Times Saturday March 9th 2013:

" Sports science, without question, is the biggest & most important change in my lifetime. It has moved the game onto another level that maybe we never dreamt of all those years ago. Sports Science has brought a whole new dimension to the game."

Yeah but what did that bloke know about success in sports

Apart from what others have said, there is an element of branding involved here as well.

Very quickly, we've managed to reposition Port Adelaide's image from small traditional club struggling to make it in the big leagues, to a world leader in sports science and it's application to professional athletes.

This, coupled with the China strategy gives PAFC a globally recognised footprint. It distances us from the 2008-2012 period where, if a few things were different, we might no longer exist.

Apart from what others have said, there is an element of branding involved here as well.

Very quickly, we've managed to reposition Port Adelaide's image from small traditional club struggling to make it in the big leagues, to a world leader in sports science and it's application to professional athletes.

This, coupled with the China strategy gives PAFC a globally recognised footprint. It distances us from the 2008-2012 period where, if a few things were different, we might no longer exist.
Yeah Port have definitely gone down the positioning and branding route with the Burgo academy stuff. Plus the 2014 impact Port had on the comp especially 1st half of the year where Ken let the Burgo effect be talked up. Plus we decided to go into partnership with uni's so that we could train up future staff.

On page 26 of this thread Janus made a comment about sports science being at the cutting edge of the industry in Oz because of the size of the sports market here needing to find cheap competitive edge and I responded a couple of posts with info about the MilanLab, the €150mil+ to build and set up around 2003 which is a partnership between AC Milan and Adidas. Also in one of my replies I mentioned that in Europe and Italy in particular its the sports doctors ( I mentioned 3 by name) that have the profile not the sports scientists. The MilanLab has been downsized since 2014 as money dried up and it was too successful, it kept the ageing stars going longer and the young blokes weren't purchased or brought on and the squad ended up in a big hole as a result. I also wrote - In the US and Europe its been the sports doctors who have been traditionally been in charge of the overall medical and fitness programs, mainly because they have the revenue streams to employ doctors full time and then use their extensive networks. Australia because until recently the sports market has been smaller and less money, has gone the sports scientist route over the sports doctors. No AFL club employs a doctor full time. They all are part timers either doing it for free or a small fee and have their private practice as their main income producing activity.

OK last one but on page 26 of the other Burgo thread, I posted this article from NBA Australia about the impact of Aussie Sport Scientists in the NBA, which confirms what I wrote on page 26 of this thread that the AIS being set up in 1981, the the state institutes, then the money poured into sports science because we won the hosting rights for Sydney 2000, put Australia at the cutting edge of sports science ( as Janus wrote) and that all the draft and not being able to go players with our major sports having salary caps, means clubs in different leagues in Australia have to be more effective and efficient with our resources to get an edge.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...fitness-academy.1049101/page-26#post-44922650

And I see Burgo and his old mate from Socceroos and Liverpool days Dr Peter Brukner are giving lectures at a sports science clinic in London on Monday, along with someone from Team Sky and Team GB Olympics.

who would have thought sports science could result in a paid job 30 years ago
40 years ago Dr Frank Pyke had fixed up Dennis Lillee's back 3 or 4 years earlier was probably 1 of about about 20 or 30 working in 0z .1981 was the big change. The AIS was set up and Dr Frank moved from Perth to Canberra to teach at Uni in Canberra and use the new AIS facilities with his new students who would probably end up there.

Last edited:
Shaucob_Burjan yesterday I posted up an article written by a US sports reporter from ESPN.com about how Ben Simmons' footy background has helped him be such a dominate rookie in the NBA. I posted the article here in the General AFL thread

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-thread-part-5.1174722/page-406#post-53750700

with a bit further discussion on the rest of that page and the next which one, I put a link to this interview by SEN's NBA guy Cam Luke interviewed ESPN.com reporter Kevin Arnovitz who wrote that article, yesterday on his basketball show. The first 7 minutes of 18 minute interview is about Aussie Rules and Simmons impact on basketball. Arnovitz says he was watching a game on TV with Patty Mills playing last year with a close friend from Melbourne, who lives in LA and is a huge NBA fan, who pointed out how Mills used AFL moves and explained them. The next year they are watching Simmons together and the Aussie friend once again points out some of Simmons' moves and why he is doing what he does. This then leads Arnovitz to go talk to 76ers coach Brett Brown.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=161761

But at about 2.15 onward in the interview he talks about how many Australian sports scientists are now working for NBA clubs. In post #793 above I linked an article from June 2016 saying how Oz sports scientists are changing the NBA. In the article about Simmons, Arnovitz talks to and about the 76er's team director of performance research and development, David Martin. Martin is an American who spent 20 years working in sports science in Oz until he got the job at the 76er's. Here is the 76er's press release when they appointed him mid 2015 talking about their global search for the right person.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/150629-martin-hired

I know a lot of people don't get it, but Australia is world leading at producing sports scientists. Its because of the AIS and state institutes, combined with the Uni courses that came with the growth and then once Sydney won the Olympic hosting rights the federal government poured in monies into the field but made sure there was a more structured approach by the AIS and state institutes in working together and in collaboration with Unis. In the US their colleges go off and do their own thing and in professional sports, and even college sports the coach is seen as king and he/she is expected to be the driver of big improvements. Also the Oz sports market isn't as lucrative as overseas and with salary caps in most Oz professional sports and limited player movement, getting a sports science edge is highly valued in Oz.

The eastern bloc had the equivalent of AIS's but when the wall came down they crumbled because the funds weren't there and they were tainted with PED activities. In Europe the doctors are seen as the gurus. So when Oz did well at Sydney Olympics and followed up with Athens and Beijing, lots of countries came and studied the AIS and sports science set ups and have now caught up, but lots of Oz sports scientist have that 10-20 year base of practice that make them valuable to overseas organisations.

Its why for years I have said we should go and pinch the best guys we can afford from the AIS and state institutes. With setting up the Burgo academy we can find some of our own via PHD scholarships, train them up, some will leave and some will come back and we still try and pinch the best ones from AIS when an opening happens.

Shaucob_Burjan yesterday I posted up an article written by a US sports reporter from ESPN.com about how Ben Simmons' footy background has helped him be such a dominate rookie in the NBA. I posted the article here in the General AFL thread

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-thread-part-5.1174722/page-406#post-53750700

with a bit further discussion on the rest of that page and the next which one, I put a link to this interview by SEN's NBA guy Cam Luke interviewed ESPN.com reporter Kevin Arnovitz who wrote that article, yesterday on his basketball show. The first 7 minutes of 18 minute interview is about Aussie Rules and Simmons impact on basketball. Arnovitz says he was watching a game on TV with Patty Mills playing last year with a close friend from Melbourne, who lives in LA and is a huge NBA fan, who pointed out how Mills used AFL moves and explained them. The next year they are watching Simmons together and the Aussie friend once again points out some of Simmons' moves and why he is doing what he does. This then leads Arnovitz to go talk to 76ers coach Brett Brown.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=161761

But at about 2.15 onward in the interview he talks about how many Australian sports scientists are now working for NBA clubs. In post #793 above I linked an article from June 2016 saying how Oz sports scientists are changing the NBA. In the article about Simmons, Arnovitz talks to and about the 76er's team director of performance research and development, David Martin. Martin is an American who spent 20 years working in sports science in Oz until he got the job at the 76er's. Here is the 76er's press release when they appointed him mid 2015 talking about their global search for the right person.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/150629-martin-hired

I know a lot of people don't get it, but Australia is world leading at producing sports scientists. Its because of the AIS and state institutes, combined with the Uni courses that came with the growth and then once Sydney won the Olympic hosting rights the federal government poured in monies into the field but made sure there was a more structured approach by the AIS and state institutes in working together and in collaboration with Unis. In the US their colleges go off and do their own thing and in professional sports, and even college sports the coach is seen as king and he/she is expected to be the driver of big improvements. Also the Oz sports market isn't as lucrative as overseas and with salary caps in most Oz professional sports and limited player movement, getting a sports science edge is highly valued in Oz.

The eastern bloc had the equivalent of AIS's but when the wall came down they crumbled because the funds weren't there and they were tainted with PED activities. In Europe the doctors are seen as the gurus. So when Oz did well at Sydney Olympics and followed up with Athens and Beijing, lots of countries came and studied the AIS and sports science set ups and have now caught up, but lots of Oz sports scientist have that 10-20 year base of practice that make them valuable to overseas organisations.

Its why for years I have said we should go and pinch the best guys we can afford from the AIS and state institutes. With setting up the Burgo academy we can find some of our own via PHD scholarships, train them up, some will leave and some will come back and we still try and pinch the best ones from AIS when an opening happens.

I reckon quite a lot went over to the UK too to help drive the English campaign towards London 2008.

Will be interesting to see if that funneling of knowledge at a particular point in time will leave a legacy for them too.

I reckon quite a lot went over to the UK too to help drive the English campaign towards London 2008 2012 .

Will be interesting to see if that funneling of knowledge at a particular point in time will leave a legacy for them too.
Best example is the cycling guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back