Burgo's Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He gave us:

7 Jack Ziebell
25 Mitch Robinson (interests: Luke Shuey, Dayne Beams, Jarrad Blight, Liam Jones)
41 Rhys Stanley (interests: Liam Jones, Jack Redden)
57 Jack Reddan (interests: Glen Dawson, Todd Banfield, Chris Hall, Mitchell Banner)
69 Rohan Bail
81 Nick Davis
82 PASS (Ben Cousins in PSD)

No other options listed at 7, sounds pretty certain. Emma Quayle said the decision re: Yarran would be taken off our hands by Essendon or Carlton.

He also says we're looking at Chris Hall and Todd Banfield at pick 57, who didn't end up making his Phantom. Is the reason we're not taking either of them later because they're similar types?

He gave us:

7 Jack Ziebell
25 Mitch Robinson
41 Rhys Stanley
57 Jack Reddan
69 Rohan Bail
81 Nick Davis
82 PASS (Ben Cousins in PSD)
Some other names that have been linked with us:

Shuey
Beams
Blight
Jones
Dawson
Banfield
Hall
Banner

It seems like Collingwood are interested in 64 players this Saturday.

Would have liked us to squeeze Chris Hall in there late in the draft if he is available and I would also leave Davis to the PSD. Other than that I would be okay with that and stoked with the first two rounds. Ideal result for me apart from maybe Rich slipping to us.

Ziebell at 7 is looking more and more likely by the day.

Didn't even mention other possibilities. Seems like one of the surer selections in the draft.

No I went with another ruck though in Hill. Stanley has improved a lot his year and I have no problem with us taking him that highly. The context of the quote was that I was thinking the first two rounds were ideal for me. In the third the ideal situation would be if Redden fell to us as the ruck we take.

Ziebell and Robinson would be a great result for us. Injection of class into the midfield straight away. Ziebell will probably play in a variety of positions, while Robinson should be right to go in the middle.

Do we really need both Davis and Cousins?

Quigs, in terms of your favoured guys, it's interesting to see Rhys O'Keefe at 50 (and no mention of interests elsewhere).

There sounds like still lots of options for the rookie draft. With us having 7 'live' picks (2 of 9 taken by Garner and Hanley), I think we'll go with a few non-Qld prospects also. Of course we could pick up Tippett, Dzufer, Smith and Zorko, leaving us just 3 other picks. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I of Davis or Cousins for me.

O'Keefe would be a very nice pick up at 41 if we thought that a ruckman we liked was going to fall to us in the 50s. I am surprised that he dropped so low with Burgan but he does have his ear to the ground.

I had been thinking Bail as a rookie but we will see Saturday. He is one guy who has just kept on improving and I have no problem with us taking him on the day. We have delisted a few outside prospects and being able to go forward and kick a goal would also be helpful. If he is not picked I would like us to go with Rolfe as a rookie.

Last year he was pretty accurate regarding us. Had us taking Henderson and Austin, and flagged our interest in Collier and Polkinghorne.

Interesting looking at the draft ranges, Burgo thinks it is possible that any of Rich, Hartlett and Yarran could fall to our pick. Also Bease's range starts at 7.

I've got to admit, I've really become accustomed to the idea of Beams at 25.

Feels so much like Whitecross last year.

My thoughts too. Saw that YouTube clip and instantly liked what I saw. I had similar thoughts concerning Proud a few years back hoping he would still be available for our second round pick at 22.

I was interested to see the clubs these young talents supported as a kid - no.1 prospects Watts said he never had a team!

fairweather supporter, happens a lot these days
notice the teams he said he liked for a period of time were all successful maybe with the exception of the saints

We need to find 3 quality players in this draft, if we don't the future may not be as rosy as we hope

Should do well with picks 7 and 25 - need some shrewd work after that.

I am not confident of getting Beams with 25 though - a lot of other clubs have been taking the Queensland boys in the past few drafts and very successfully too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back