Universal Love Burgoyne signs on for season 20! 400 games incoming!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodgey's comments about this sting a bit
Got to view it in context I think . I was listening and he only found out and naturally straight away got asked for his opinion .

I thought the response was very fair and well thought. I didnt detect any edge from him at all , he just gave both sides of the coin.

Seeing him reach 400 games would be unbelievably satisfying and nobody doubts he deserves it.

I am a touch surprised at the decision given how ruthless we were with Hodge, Birchall, Lake, Gibson and others. I guess times have changed and we now have more young players in the squad who'll benefit from his example.
Saved me having to think about how to put it out there without people getting the wrong end of the stick.
Thanks

Seeing him reach 400 games would be unbelievably satisfying and nobody doubts he deserves it.

I am a touch surprised at the decision given how ruthless we were with Hodge, Birchall, Lake, Gibson and others. I guess times have changed and we now have more young players in the squad who'll benefit from his example.
They werent really ruthless with Birchall though, two and a half years without a game. I’m surprised at how well he has gone at Brisbane.

This is a potentially horrible decision DEPENDING on what our list changes look like over the next few months.

i'll reserve judgement until I see who gets delisted or traded. And who else we bring in.

Currently find no issue with what Hodgey said.
It will be fine. He’s going around as a playing coach. It’s a way of circumventing the soft cap reductions. He would be out if it wasn’t for that.

This is a potentially horrible decision DEPENDING on what our list changes look like over the next few months.

i'll reserve judgement until I see who gets delisted or traded. And who else we bring in.

Currently find no issue with what Hodgey said.
This signing tells me we are 99% certain of who does and does not have a future.

This wouldn’t have had any bearing on the clubs decision but IF Burgs boys show any signs of playing AFL ,they would be thinking :

- How did Port treat my dad & uncle ?

- How did Hawks treat my dad & my family ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont want to spoil the party, but I wish he was still playing good footy, I feel like we're gifting him 400 games for some weird reasons and trying to justify it with even weirder reasons.

I hope he appreciates the gift...

I dont want to spoil the party, but I wish he was still playing good footy, I feel like we're gifting him 400 games for some weird reasons and trying to justify it with even weirder reasons.

I hope he appreciates the gift...
Embarrassing post....thought u were better than that.
Maybe just stick to watching U18s run around then.

Embarrassing post....thought u were better than that.
Maybe just stick to watching U18s run around then.

I'm passionate for us to get back on track and signing a guy no longer good enough is disappointing, he has never been a leader, so those arguments make no sense and he struggles to communicate so coaching arguments make no sense, that leaves the 400 game milestone as the only reason he gets games, pretty simple logic

Last edited:
I like this for the on field coaching role - bit similar to a previous captain & no 15 that we could have had doing that last couple of years but sadly provided that role at another club
Hopefully soft tissue injuries don't stop Silk making it to 400 as he deserves the accolades been an absolute champion for us

I'm passionate for us to get back on track and signing a guy no longer good enough is disappointing, he has never been a leader, so those arguments make no sense and he struggles to communicate so coaching arguments make no sense, that leaves the 400 game milestone as the only reason he gets games, pretty simple logic
Simple & incorrect - but definitely simple

I love Burgs, but I didn't see this coming, he's struggled this year. It hasn't been pretty watching him at times after such a decorated career.

I basically took it as we are writing off next year, playing kids and giving Burgs ten token games to reach 400 much like Sam Newman was given to reach 300.

Great role model for younger recruits, family man and a champion bloke. Also kicked 10 goals this year so still keeps our scoreboard ticking over. Widely respected in AFL circles as a true champion on and off the field. Called Silk for a reason, looking forward to seeing him on the G in 2021.

Absolute legend.

For what he did in the 2013 Prelim alone he deserves another year. Hate to think how history would look if he didn't do what he did that night.

Get him to 400, keep him at the club after footy - will be at minimal cost and the dozen games he takes off a kid - well I'm sure the list and club will manage.

On ya S.B. Go out next year, play full forward, kick 40 from the square and jam it up the miserable pricks.

Legend.

7 years ago today...this happened.
View attachment 960151
Missed it by a week mate and how do i know this because it was my birthday that day I will never forget had everyone at the game even extended family some of them carlton and essendon supporters giving it to me at 3qtr time. Oh how sweet it was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back