BURGOYNE

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not unfortunately.

I get looking to the future and the idea that you don't play anyone that isn't going to be part of it. I don't agree with that view but I get it.

Don't get the absolute disrespect shown by some posters when discussing his current form.
That’s more my point. The disrespect.

I understand that you can’t play forever.
part of me wants him to get to 400, the other part wonders if that’s going to slow our rebound.
That’s a choice for him & the club.
But please show some respect to the great man

Great player, and an even greater man.

But after shipping off Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis for chips I'd be disappointed if we kept playing Burgoyne simply to get him to a milestone.

On top of that, I think the man - in a testament to his character - would be disappointed to be gifted those games also.

The best case scenario? He genuinely warrants a place in the team and can get to 400 based on his ability.

The club is bigger than the individual.
He's got 10 games to show that he deserves a spot in 2021. (List sizes pending)

Out of our underperforming veterans, he deserves his spot the most.

Burgoyne played 1 bad game really. Very premature to be talking like this. Was fantastic in multiple games only a few weeks ago.

He still allows us the flexibility to play him wherever needed. If we need a pressure forward he can do it, ditto a defender.

For this reason, he is the one exception, despite how old he is. This should only change if he starts to decline, which he honestly hasn't.

He plays in 2021
Of course. The free kicks he was penalised for were borderline bullshit.

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

The upside to keeping Burgoyne on the list probably outweighs the the downside - his ability, his leadership and the brotherhood he offers to our indigenous players is immense.

Despite the quandary our ladder position indicates, we can't afford to de-list everyone and he offers more than a limited Hanrahan/Henderson, etc/

Shaun Burgoyne is a legend of Hawthorn.

We all know what impact he has made on our great club.

As a club we owe it to him to get him to 400 games - no matter what.

To me this is not negotiable.

Right now the whole club is struggling including Silk himself.

He is the type of person who wouldn’t want any special treatment but Clarko must insist he is an important player especially at a time like this.

Burgoyne 400 games.......Hawthorn make it happen.
Agree 100%

I actually think we need him on the list for leadership next year, Sicily going down hurts and he is strong here even if not on the ground every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he could go around again but there is a very real chance if he does, the cliff could well and truly come and he could end up not getting picked. At present he is still one of our better players and one of few in the side you can trust to make good decisions and hit targets. On balance, with reduced list sizes, I think he retires this year though

Keep him for all the reasons that have been stated. However, two pressing needs that come to mind are 1) of immediate value; keep showing the kids what good effective tackling is (ones where the opposition never forgets them), and 2) immediate and long term; leadership for all kids, why he must remain at the club after 400 games.

With Sis going down - maybe we do need him in the back half - going to be another hard decision and what ever is decided I hope it comes from him - if it’s retirement I hope he calls and not the club calls it for him

anyway wait and see but I wouldn’t complain to see him go round again and who knows what next season will look like

Remove this Banner Ad

Back