Preview Burning questions for our premiership defence in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Basil brush

Senior List
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that the dust has settled on a brilliant premiership winning season (I know the draft still to come), I thought I would start a thread asking what peoples burning questions are for our premiership defence next season.

I will start with a few burning questions of my own, so feel free to add any answers to my questions or your own questions.

1) The biggest question from outside our 4 walls appears to be our age profile and how long the likes of Pendles, Sidey, Howe and possibly others like Elliott can keep up their performances. Do we get a major drop off from any of our senior players? I think pendles and Sidey will be fine for at least 1 more season as they are both smart footballers. Howe is a slight query for me and not sure re Elliott (but I think that is partially why we targeted Schultz as Jamie’s long term replacement)

2) Should we be worried about Nathan Murphy long term and his concussions and do we have the defensive cover in a worst case scenario? Tough to answer for me, but I think we should be looking at drafting at least 1 key/intercepting defender in the draft.

3) Will we miss Tay Adams and who steps up in the clearance area of the midfield? I live in Sydney so see very little VFL so trust others to answer this. The 3 main options appear to be Ed Allen, Finn McRae and Reef McInnes.

4) Will Nick Daicos get regularly tagged now and how will he handle it? I think any club that has a tagger on their list will seriously look into tagging Nick. As for how he will handle it, it is wait and see imo.

In summing up, I think it will be very tough to go back to back, but we can always hope.

Fire away fellow pies fans.

Who will get their first premiership medal around their neck end of 2024 season?

McInness? MaCrae?, Schultz? Harrison? Allan? Ryan? Dean? Krueger? McStay?
Macrae, Schultz, McStay.

Dean and Harrison both smokeys.

I can see us selecting quite a different line-up this year purely due to development. Most vulnerable are Lippa, WHE, Frampton and Murphy.

Ive thought about setting it on fire everytime I leave the place after an AFLW game..

a terrible terrible place.
This’ll be controversial but I think what they’ve turned it into is quite good and it’s disappointing Vic Park is still a suburban ground.

Think defence is our biggest issue, especially if we don’t have a good run like this year. In terms of mids, we need to think what it will look like in 2-3 years time
I'm not sure why you think defence will be a major issue. Our 2023 defence was excellent. The only question mark for me is Howe, but he missed so much footy this year, he should still be in good nick. Frampton is good backup down there and anywhere else for that matter. Noble will be eating fire. He will bang down the doors to get a game.

Pendles and Sidey are supper fit and super prepared. The only issue for them is hunger. Mitchell will need to be managed.

Elliott had a noticeably quieter year in 2023. I reckon he slips. So too do WHE and Patty - it depends who bangs down the door for their positions.

McStay is a new recruit in 2024 because we only glimpses of what he has to offer. Injured for most of the year, he was just getting into his stride when he went out again.

I don't see much improvement in Macrae. One game in 2023 after 2 in 2022 doesn't exactly inspire me with hope.

Schultz improves us no doubt.

Dean gets games because he's got plenty of talent. He looked a certainty before he bit the dust, so I'm very hopeful for him, with the obvious proviso of course.

McInness has to find a position to make his own. He appears to have the attributes, but I'm not counting on him to improve us in 2024.

Harrison is smart and courageous. He gets games and takes the next step.

Allan looks to be on the cusp. I reckon he has a good year as does Ryan.

Krueger? I don't think anybody could guess what he could do given his injury history. I like his aggression but I can't find a spot for him. Insurance only.

Ash Johnson is the player I find hardest to classify. So sublimely skilled and yet lacking in urgency. He's in the Ollie Henry basket; can he work hard enough to realise his potential? I'm not counting on it.

I think we improve going into 2025, but there are hungry teams coming and there are never any guarantees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They still need to fix up the other side of the ground.
I went to see a performance of Aida at Prince's Park many years ago. It was difficult for me to walk through the gates into that cesspit. I will never go there again. My hate runs deep.

I went to see a performance of Aida at Prince's Park many years ago. It was difficult for me to walk through the gates into that cesspit. I will never go there again. My hate runs deep.

Yep, I walked past there last year and felt dirty just being near it.
And saw they'd demolished the historic Heatley Stand and replaced it with some giant monstrosity with that horrible emblem on it.

I think our chances of going back to back rely on a few factors:

1) McStay realising his potential after seeing what he produced in the Prelim. If he can produce that more consistently? Massive
2) Lachie Schultz justifying his recruitment
3) The management of our older players and how we handle it
4) The next line starting to force their way in. Macrae, McInnes, Dean, Kreuger, Carmichael, Allan etc

I still personally don't see anyone stopping GWS, but that's probably just me

I think our chances of going back to back rely on a few factors:

1) McStay realising his potential after seeing what he produced in the Prelim. If he can produce that more consistently? Massive
2) Lachie Schultz justifying his recruitment
3) The management of our older players and how we handle it
4) The next line starting to force their way in. Macrae, McInnes, Dean, Kreuger, Carmichael, Allan etc

I still personally don't see anyone stopping GWS, but that's probably just me
Without trying to have a go at you mate. You also couldn't see us winning the flag this year, at some stage.

I think the worry is inside mid cover for Mitchell, is Macrae really good enough and our third tall backs in Murphy and Howe. Hopefully Dean and Ryan can step up but we should be looking at the likes of Highmore, Hore and other similar replacements in case Murphy is pulled/retires. Elliott is covered with Schulz, McInness and Harrison.

Looking at our best 23 you could potentially add Johnson, McStay, Dean, Schulz, McInness, Noble as players who will be pushing maybe Harrison, Macrae and Carmichael.

Can we get even better than 2023?
We will need to, to stay ahead of the pack.
Schultz straight in, Naicos goes to another level and plays every game, McStay playing a full season, AJ taking his game to a new consistent level, likes of Dean, Macrae, McInnes, Allan, HH & Krueger forcing there way into the side.
Will we see a decline in Howe, Elliot, Mihocek, WHE?
Super excited about 2024...

Can we get even better than 2023?
We will need to, to stay ahead of the pack.
Schultz straight in, Naicos goes to another level and plays every game, McStay playing a full season, AJ taking his game to a new consistent level, likes of Dean, Macrae, McInnes, Allan, HH & Krueger forcing there way into the side.
Will we see a decline in Howe, Elliot, Mihocek, WHE?
Super excited about 2024...
I doubt that very much mate.

Who will get their first premiership medal around their neck end of 2024 season?

McInness? MaCrae?, Schultz? Harrison? Allan? Ryan? Dean? Krueger? McStay?

McInnes Macrae Schultz and McStay possibly Allan.
Forgot Noble and Johnson too.

I don’t see anything special in Harrison but happy to be proven wrong.
Krueger is like Mr. Glass, I can’t see him getting a run at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive thought about setting it on fire everytime I leave the place after an AFLW game..

a terrible terrible place.

The cartel were probably about to do it themselves for the insurance money, don’t put yourself at risk!

Yep, I walked past there last year and felt dirty just being near it.
And saw they'd demolished the historic Heatley Stand and replaced it with some giant monstrosity with that horrible emblem on it.

This one?

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back