Religion Burning the Quran

Remove this Banner Ad

BigBadCam posted this in the Bay a couple of days ago.

To paraphrase the words of "Bobby McGee"

"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to do..."

The US is equally a "fundamentalists state" as any Muslim country.

Quote:
615173-terry-jones.jpg

Koran burn will 'honour our 9/11 victims'

AFP

September 8, 2010 12:33am

PASTOR warned plans to hold torching of the Muslim holy book will spark angry backlash.

Terry Jones said he had given "serious" consideration to the concerns expressed by US commander General David Petraeus over plans to torch the Koran, but remained ademant the event would proceed anyway.

Pastor Jones, who heads the Dove World Outreach Center in the town of Gainesville,said the burning would take place to mark the September 11 terror attacks and would send a message to Muslim extremists.

"I mean, how long, when does America stand for truth?" he asked..

"Instead of us being blamed for what other people will do or might do, why don't we send a warning to them?

"Why don't we send a warning to radical Islam and say, don't do it. If you attack us, if you attack us, we will attack you," he said.

...aimed "to remember those who were brutally murdered on September 11th" and to send a warning "to the radical element of Islam".

"We wanted to send a very clear message to them that we are not interested in their Sharia law," he said.

The pastor's words sparked violent protest in the Afghan capital of Kabul where hundreds turned out to burn an effigy of the outspoken Christian during a demonstration.
http://tools.themercury.com.au/stori...world-news.php

Another meaningless and futile statement of ignorance from their fundy heartland.
suicidesquad.jpg

Sounds like an excellent way of pushing moderate muslims into extremism. Consistent with US foreign policy at least.

As an American (& a Christian) I see the Quran-burning as little more than a horribly ill-considered publicity stunt. Both Muslims & Christians need to stop letting a few nutters try to suck the rest of us into their little game of religious politics. Stop burning holy books (burning books in general is bad form, IMHO) and stop building mosques in graveyards. People of faith should bring hope & comfort to others, not provoke them.

As an American (& a Christian) I see the Quran-burning as little more than a horribly ill-considered publicity stunt. Both Muslims & Christians need to stop letting a few nutters try to suck the rest of us into their little game of religious politics. Stop burning holy books (burning books in general is bad form, IMHO) and stop building mosques in graveyards. People of faith should bring hope & comfort to others, not provoke them.
how about building the "Museum of Tolerance" on a Palestinian graveyard in Jerusalem?

Definition of irony?

how about building the "Museum of Tolerance" on a Palestinian graveyard in Jerusalem?

Definition of irony?

Perhaps, although in fairness the site of the building there is on what has for years been a parking lot, not squarely on top of the shrines of the Mamilla Cemetery. However, it's still unnecessarily provocative, therefore IMHO it does more harm than good.

The mosque is being build 2 blocks away. How is that "in (a) graveyard"?

Regardless, a mosque is essentially a church, it has nothing to do with terrorism.

You really want to vilify a whole religion on the basis of the actions of a relatively minuscule amount of extremists?

I love how he hates radicals and extremists, without realising that to everyone else he is a radical, extreme Christian.

"Why don't we send a warning to radical Islam and say, don't do it. If you attack us, if you attack us, we will attack you," he said.

The irony:

'But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
—Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

Christianity: Fail.

If only those protesting the burning of a book would be so vigorous in defence of a woman about to be stoned to death

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfectly permissable in Christianity (as long as the stone thrower is without sin).

I believe the message being conveyed was that death by stoning is not permissible in Christianity. However I'm sure you could find words in the bible to support the opposite - or almost anything for that matter.

I believe the message being conveyed was that death by stoning is not permissible in Christianity.

I agree. The implication by Jesus was clear (particularly in the context of 'original sin')

I was being a little facetious.

However I'm sure you could find words in the bible to support the opposite - or almost anything for that matter.

Leviticus has some absolute gems.

Regardless, a mosque is essentially a church, it has nothing to do with terrorism.

You really want to vilify a whole religion on the basis of the actions of a relatively minuscule amount of extremists?

Muslims preach in the mosque and what do they preach? tolerance (no) the infidel (yes) sharia (yes) taking over the world (yes)...sure sounds to me like a breeding ground for terrorists...

minuscule amount..wtf :confused: what a strange statement, considering that it is a religion of millions, and these millions are breeding more millions the minuscule amount is enough to cover most small religions..

Islam is the scourge of the world. bar none....being able to have sex with animals???? marrying off little girls at 8 or 9yrs of age....yeah what a great religion..:rolleyes:

how anyone can stick up for these people is beyond me...all other religions preach love they preach hate and conquer...

hell, they even suicide bomb each other in the name of religion....

Muslims preach in the mosque and what do they preach? tolerance (no) the infidel (yes) sharia (yes) taking over the world (yes)...sure sounds to me like a breeding ground for terrorists...

minuscule amount..wtf :confused: what a strange statement, considering that it is a religion of millions, and these millions are breeding more millions the minuscule amount is enough to cover most small religions..

Islam is the scourge of the world. bar none....being able to have sex with animals???? marrying off little girls at 8 or 9yrs of age....yeah what a great religion..:rolleyes:

how anyone can stick up for these people is beyond me...all other religions preach love they preach hate and conquer...

Potentially the most offensive and misinformed post I have ever read on BF.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Stormfront is that way. >>>>>>>>>>>>> :rolleyes:

The guys obviously a nutter, but I think we in the west do tip toe oh so delicately around incidents such as this for fear of upsetting the Muslims, where as in Muslim countries they have no problem burning effegies of the American President, the American Flag, Imam's publicly calling for the destuction of Israel etc and nobody here seems to bat an eyelid.... and yet it is an international incident when this sort of behaviour goes the other way?...........just sayin.

It is an Islamic cultural centre, and like you say, two and a half blocks away, and around the corner, the place is obscured from the TT site via nyc buildings. Nothing but overt islamophobia, of which the ADL supports (islamophobia that is).

in Muslim countries they have no problem burning effegies of the American President, the American Flag, Imam's publicly calling for the destuction of Israel etc and nobody here seems to bat an eyelid...

That sort of behavious is roundly condemned.

Certainly not justification for us to engage in similar behaviour.

And FWFW you might want to watch Envangelical Christian TV to see similar type behavior.

Or tune in to the 'Christian love' of the Westboro Baptist church:

god-hates.jpg

godhatesfags.jpg

http://rsasecular.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/godhatesfags.jpg
Westboro.jpg

Perhaps, although in fairness the site of the building there is on what has for years been a parking lot, not squarely on top of the shrines of the Mamilla Cemetery. However, it's still unnecessarily provocative, therefore IMHO it does more harm than good.
might like to get your facts straight.

1. not a mosque, but an Islamic cultural centre, not that it should matter, but this is inidicative of overt islamophobia imo. You cannot conflate terrorism with Islam.

2. Re: Simon Wiesenthal Museum of Tolerance see:below. And as a corollary, Wiesenthal was a fraud, if you do any reading on him, he was not the great Nazi hunter he took credit and financial support for. Great student of Bernays though, great disciple of PR and branding. So, one may say the Wiesenthal Centre are channeling their eponymous inspiration.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/2/10/palestinian_families_appeal_to_un_over
And contrary to what Rabbi Hier said, that parking lot was built over a cemetery, part of it. And so, the Israeli authorities are basically pushing ahead with the desecration of a cemetery that they have been, unfortunately, slowly nibbling away at for over three decades. We and other families are taking action as a group of families to try and stop this, after other families failed in the Israeli Supreme Court.

AMY GOODMAN: The fact that he said this has been a parking lot that no one has protested for years?

RASHID KHALIDI: Well, many protests were made. There were protests made from the early ’60s, when the first of these desecrations started. That’s false. And the fact that it was desecrated in the ’60s doesn’t mean that it’s right to desecrate it further. What happened in the 1960s was that part of the cemetery was paved over for this parking lot. What they have now done is to dig down and disinter four layers, according to the chief archaeologist for the Israeli Archaeological Authority, four layers of graves. There are more probably beneath those, according to his report, which was suppressed in the submissions to the Israeli Supreme Court.

lol :thumbsu: nice troll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back