macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Saw on both Channels 9 and 7 news tonight that Ronnie Burns copped a corky down at Strathalbyn today on the last day of the 3 day camp.

At the time he was taking part in a 9 a side competitive scratch match, and got it from no less than the useless Ben Nelson. I reckon you could run Ben Nelson over with a semi and not hurt him, based on racehorse history that only the good ones break down!! ;)

The club are saying that it is only a minor hiccup and that he will only miss a few days of training.

The boys have got tomorrow off and resume training on Tuesday. I'm still hoping to get to training one day this week before it's back to slavery in the salt mines next week. :)

Ronnies Corky

Wow isn't this big news. Could be on the front cover of the Tiser tomorrow. Maybe a full colour centre- spread even.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Interesting that the two in-comers are the ones copping soft tissue injuries. Is Crows' training that different to the AFL norm?

Originally posted by Porthos
Interesting that the two in-comers are the ones copping soft tissue injuries. Is Crows' training that different to the AFL norm?

I don't know whether you're asking the question in a serious fashion or not, but I'll assume that you did.

Carey has stated in the last week that the training drills at the Crows are totally different to what he has been used to all of his career at North Melbourne. Can't answer for Burns but then a corky is the result of an impact not a muscle strain from a training exercise.

From what I gather from players that I have spoken to, there is a degree of similarity between the training regimes of the Crows and Port, both of which are very thorough, demanding and intense. They both believe that they are much more professional than some of the Melbourne based clubs eg Hawthorn.

As for the pathetic comments from Panther Powder - this is a board for information sharing and communication for people who are interested in the Crows and their players. If you're not interested, either don't read it or f*ck off!!

Originally posted by macca23
Carey has stated in the last week that the training drills at the Crows are totally different to what he has been used to all of his career at North Melbourne. Can't answer for Burns but then a corky is the result of an impact not a muscle strain from a training exercise.
Fair enough. Do you think its an actual different emphasis of training (impact runnning over endurance), or just the increased intensity that can be maintained with a centralised training facility?

Originally posted by Porthos
Fair enough. Do you think its an actual different emphasis of training (impact runnning over endurance), or just the increased intensity that can be maintained with a centralised training facility?

I think you've hit the nail right on the head - a bit of both really. Certainly there is an increased intensity that can be maintained by having a centralised training facility. Most of the Vic clubs have to go to several places to complete the whole range of activities whereas both SA clubs have the luxury of maintaining intensity because it can be all done in the one spot.

Further to that I think it was about 3 years ago (I have a lousy memory) that Port introduced a different emphasis in their training which was as you put it impact running instead of endurance - closer simulation to how the game is played, as did the Crows either in the same year or the year after.

Not the best of news, but at least its not a serious injury like a broken ankle or dislocated shoulder. I'll definitely take a corky over either of those two. So it's only a very minor setback. No biggie.

I was out so I missed the sports reports, and just wanted to know if there was anything else of interest mentioned on any of the sports reports.

Originally posted by crowsfan
Not the best of news, but at least its not a serious injury like a broken ankle or dislocated shoulder. I'll definitely take a corky over either of those two. So it's only a very minor setback. No biggie.

I was out so I missed the sports reports, and just wanted to know if there was anything else of interest mentioned on any of the sports reports.

The main item in the sports was the cricket. We're in deep sh*t as with one day to go we still need another 360 or so to win with only 7 wickets in hand. Langer, Haydn and Ponting all out LBW and all very ordinary decisions.

I think the Poms have us!! :( For some reason we put Bichel in at first drop and he was 49 not out at stumps - his highest score.

Thanks for the rundown macca. Yeah, heard about the cricket. Not looking so great for us. What happened there with the smashed glass?? I guess its a surprise to have both Langer and Hayden not make huge scores in either innings of this test (albeit crap umpiring decisions). Even if we do lose this test (and of course I hope we don't -- cream them Poms you Aussies!) we gotta remember that we've comprehensively taken the series 4-1.

Was any more info about the training camp? (I was meaning to ask that except for my horrible articulation and expression in my last post, apologies for leaving out a few impt words :rolleyes:)

Originally posted by crowsfan
Thanks for the rundown macca. Yeah, heard about the cricket. Not looking so great for us. What happened there with the smashed glass?? I guess its a surprise to have both Langer and Hayden not make huge scores in either innings of this test (albeit crap umpiring decisions). Even if we do lose this test (and of course I hope we don't -- cream them Poms you Aussies!) we gotta remember that we've comprehensively taken the series 4-1.

Was any more info about the training camp? (I was meaning to ask that except for my horrible articulation and expression in my last post, apologies for leaving out a few impt words :rolleyes:)

Either Langer or Hayden tried to rearrange the glass and it wouldn't bend!!! :D The glass door was smashed to bits.

As far as the training camp went there was a few seconds of vision of the nine a side scratch match, and a shot of Carey signing autographs. They said he was highly in demand. Must admit, he looked awesomely fit. that was about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by EagleBlue
Just need Carey to go down with a year-ending knee injury to make my year. Only joking !!!!

Good Luck guys

R.I.P. Jamie Tape

Thanks - second paragraph, not the first!! ;)

Very sad about Jamie.

Further to that I think it was about 3 years ago (I have a lousy memory) that Port introduced a different emphasis in their training which was as you put it impact running instead of endurance - closer simulation to how the game is played, as did the Crows either in the same year or the year after.

Port have really worked on the impact/power running since they recruited the fitness coach from Essendon...that was at the end of 2001 I think.

As for our training methods, both Burns and Carey have been injured during scratch matches. I don't know how many clubs are playing scratch matches but we've been doing it almost daily for the past few weeks.

Jerome

Originally posted by Jerome
Port have really worked on the impact/power running since they recruited the fitness coach from Essendon...that was at the end of 2001 I think.

As for our training methods, both Burns and Carey have been injured during scratch matches. I don't know how many clubs are playing scratch matches but we've been doing it almost daily for the past few weeks.

Jerome

Thanks for that Jerome. Told you I have a lousy memory when it comes to time.

Good point about the scratch matches too.

Either Langer or Hayden tried to rearrange the glass and it wouldn't bend!!! :D The glass door was smashed to bits.

As far as the training camp went there was a few seconds of vision of the nine a side scratch match, and a shot of Carey signing autographs. They said he was highly in demand. Must admit, he looked awesomely fit. that was about it.
Yeh, caught the late news. It was Hayden, they said. Must have been real furious, as I thought he was a fairly calm sorta bloke. He was fined 20% of his match fee as well.

So not much on the training camp then I guess. Not surprised that Carey is so popular, esp with all the focus on him when he arrived in Adelaide and in the first training session.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back