May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
It’s Adam Kelly’s job to make these calls

presumably with a sh*t load of input from Nicks, but it’s Kelly’s call
It feels like we're buying the lede on this story. It doesn't actually matter who made the call whether it was Kelly or Nicks or a combination of both. What actually matters is that we made an appointment that wasn't...

A.) An Adelaide Crows former player (boys club appointment)

B.) A Covid discard from another club.

I think it's pretty massive news.

I'm fairly confident that very few, if any, coaches could walk into a group and demand contracted coaches be paid, moved on and replaced with his crew. Even before covid, the spending cap made that very difficult. A Roos or Clarkson type could if they were heading into an Eagles/Pies/Tigers type financial environment. But most coaches are first time senior coaches, and having that kind of disregard for spending caps and club finances would be a terrible look and completely irresponsible. Logically, what each coach would expect/demand is that they make a call on the existing coaches when there contract next comes up. Part of their own due diligence on the role would be finding out when each of the coaches that they'll be inheriting are out of contract.

So you will always inherit at least most of the leftovers and it would be up to you whether they're extended. Pyke chose to extend what he inherited, except Hart, but then Francou smelt what was being cooked and went back to a 'teaching' career.
Also, the fact that these coaches have to be told early August whether their contracts will be extended or not makes it very difficult to change that out if a new head coach comes on board after that time. The whole system is a bit arse up for mine.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Also, the fact that these coaches have to be told early August whether their contracts will be extended or not makes it very difficult to change that out if a new head coach comes on board after that time. The whole system is a bit arse up for mine.
That's such a bullshit rule given coaches nearly always gets sacked at the end of a season.

That's such a bullshit rule given coaches nearly always gets sacked at the end of a season.
Yep. Could never understand it. New coach comes in, needs to be able to develop his own team. Now, ok, if they are first time coaches (like Nicks), they might decide to go with the status quo for the first year... but they need to be given that choice (IMO).

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
It feels like we're buying the lede on this story. It doesn't actually matter who made the call whether it was Kelly or Nicks or a combination of both. What actually matters is that we made an appointment that wasn't...

A.) An Adelaide Crows former player (boys club appointment)

B.) A Covid discard from another club.

I think it's pretty massive news.
Nicks reports to Kelly I assume

With that in mind its Kelly's role to work with Nick's, understand what he needs for this team to be successful and together put in place a structure that will ultimately deliver success.

However although Kelly is higher in the food chain ultimately in this industry it is the Coaches head on the chopping block so they have a fair bit of say that process.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Nicks reports to Kelly I assume

With that in mind its Kelly's role to work with Nick's, understand what he needs for this team to be successful and together put in place a structure that will ultimately deliver success.

However although Kelly is higher in the food chain ultimately in this industry it is the Coaches head on the chopping block so they have a fair bit of say that process.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't really understand people arguing it's all Kelly. To say it's a partnership between both Nicks and Kelly is the least controversial statement a person could make about this. I think some people have it out for Nicks and just don't want to give the guy any credit.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep. Could never understand it. New coach comes in, needs to be able to develop his own team. Now, ok, if they are first time coaches (like Nicks), they might decide to go with the status quo for the first year... but they need to be given that choice (IMO).

You'd think there would be a standard clause in any assistant contract that if the senior coach goes for any reason, the assistant's contract is up for review.

But the other side of it is that even if that were the case, every other club has already signed their assistants by that point in time, so anybody you bring in will have to be from outside the AFL system, and there probably aren't a lot of highly sought after assistants floating around uncontracted most of the time. This year obviously a bit different with all the churn caused by COVID budget cuts.

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Plenty of speculation about who got Burns:

I'd love to know how this came about. I can't see the appointment being made without Nicks' total agreement.
Does anybody know when Burns was headhunted, when he was decided upon and by whom, please?
Surely its a collective? Kelly, Nicks, Roo and even peripheral Fagan input

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
I think the precursor to all this has Adam Kelly's fingerprints all over it personally, very impressive individual.
I don't mean to cheapen the awesomeness of what's been happening - these are exciting times for us - but really what's happened to this point is the bare minimum of what we should be expecting of Kelly (and the club in general). That is, not retaining s**t coaches, and bringing in qualified / fit for purpose coaches.

Show's how much our expectations have been lowered in recent years.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I don't mean to cheapen the awesomeness of what's been happening - these are exciting times for us - but really what's happened to this point is the bare minimum of what we should be expecting of Kelly (and the club in general). That is, not retaining sh*t coaches, and bringing in qualified / fit for purpose coaches.

Show's how much our expectations have been lowered in recent years.
I wouldn't say I ever lowered my expectations. I just became numb to the constant mismanagement.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Roo's original appointments were good (Walsh, Teague). At some point he was infected by a brain parasite of bird like proportions. Maybe now that he's been deloused, he's regained his clarity of mind.

Occam's razor says it's Nicks though.

He put too much Trust into the wrong person,

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I know. His poor judgement is precisely why he should be removed as our football director.
The Big Question is who replaces him, do we keep trust that he may have learnt from his mistakes, or do we run with another unknown quantity
remember the Football Director has to part of the Board,
At this time I cannot see anyone suitable, with only two off the current board leaving in Chapman and Hazel, I do not see anyone putting there hand up with some football knowledge. and for me the football director needs to have some football experience,

I also blame the Board as they did not question enough and just acepted the decisions.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The Big Question is who replaces him, do we keep trust that he may have learnt from his mistakes, or do we run with another unknown quantity
remember the Football Director has to part of the Board,
At this time I cannot see anyone suitable, with only two off the current board leaving in Chapman and Hazel, I do not see anyone putting there hand up with some football knowledge. and for me the football director needs to have some football experience,

I also blame the Board as they did not question enough and just acepted the decisions.
I didn't say Roo should be removed from the board, just replace him as footy director. There has to be a candidate out there in the industry who could do a better job. An inanimate carbon rod would have managed us better in 18/19.

At the very least the club needs to muzzle him because he's prone to making really stupid outbursts in the media. I would give him an ultimatum. Either you work on the board or you work in the media. You can't do both.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I didn't say Roo should be removed from the board, just replace him as footy director. There has to be a candidate out there in the industry who could do a better job. An inanimate carbon rod would have managed us better in 18/19.
There are some good poeple out there but will they be on the board, and the only current board member with any type of quaifications for the role is Jamo,
That the Problem, At this time Roo is most likly the best quaified, Unless maybe Bicks, Rehn or someone of there ilk get onto the Board

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
There are some good poeple out there but will they be on the board, and the only current board member with any type of quaifications for the role is Jamo,
That the Problem, At this time Roo is most likly the best quaified, Unless maybe Bicks, Rehn or someone of there ilk get onto the Board
Why does it have to be a former player?

Back