News Burns new senior assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is, he never forgot his roots still. He'd come home every off season and would always say g'day to old teachers and mates.

I think he’ll be lending a hand with his old mans business in his “spare time” too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing some similarities between Nicks, Kelly, and now Burns.

They all seem like straight shooters, no frills types. Very little hyperbole or 'corporate speak'.

I wonder if we've made a conscious effort to recruit these types?

I had forgotten we had NVB as an assistant (forwards) coach in 2017.

From there he joined WC when they won the flag.

With his always elite standards and experience with a flag winning coach, not sure why we wouldnt be open to having him back?

I had forgotten we had NVB as an assistant (forwards) coach in 2017.

From there he joined WC when they won the flag.

With his always elite standards and experience with a flag winning coach, not sure why we wouldnt be open to having him back?

I think you make a good point about his standards. I was never a huge Van Berlo fan but you couldn't question his professionalism. Unfortunately we don't have those types of leaders in the playing group currently, Mackay is as close as you get so even though he is not playing just having Van Berlo around will help.

I'm seeing some similarities between Nicks, Kelly, and now Burns.

They all seem like straight shooters, no frills types. Very little hyperbole or 'corporate speak'.

I wonder if we've made a conscious effort to recruit these types?
And maybe a more unsociable style of Football.

I think you make a good point about his standards. I was never a huge Van Berlo fan but you couldn't question his professionalism. Unfortunately we don't have those types of leaders in the playing group currently, Mackay is as close as you get so even though he is not playing just having Van Berlo around will help.
Would you have David Mackay as a coach in 5 years time?

Standards are fine to have and having that mindset is ideal - but they need to - in this modern game - also have a tactical and analytical brain

I DO think NVB has that

Standards are fine to have and having that mindset is ideal - but they need to - in this modern game - also have a tactical and analytical brain

I DO think NVB has that
MacKay better off going into either the Fitness or motivation world,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I DO think NVB has that
Career ruck coach at the Hawks under Clarko...just sayin..

1601173290862.png

I DO think NVB has that

You're assuming MacKay won't still be on our list in 5 years time, he had his breakout season this year.

I DO think NVB has that
If DMack looks like a coach why wouldn't we have him?

Some of the greatest players have been ordinary coaches. Some of the most ordinary players have turned out great coaches. Were Malthouse or Sheeds (just two off the top of my head) great players?

I wouldn't rule anyone out as a future coach. Alex Ferguson had a pretty unspectacular playing career...

Some of the greatest players have been ordinary coaches. Some of the most ordinary players have turned out great coaches. Were Malthouse or Sheeds (just two off the top of my head) great players?

I wouldn't rule anyone out as a future coach. Alex Ferguson had a pretty unspectacular playing career...

Take your point, but my memory is that Sheedy was pretty bloody good.

Both were premiership players, played over 200 games IIRC.

Clarko was an ordinary player, but he still had a lengthy AFL career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back