Bushfire Clash: Victoria v All Stars, Friday, February 28, 7.50pm (7, Fox, Kayo, AFL app)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
When and Where

The game will take place on Friday, February 28.
It's set to get underway at 7.50pm (AEDT), with the match coming after an AFLW game between Collingwood and Melbourne at the same venue.

Keen observers will note this places the clash on the same weekend as the second round of Marsh Community Series pre-season fixtures.

Players taking part in the bushfire game will sit out that week for their clubs, which may not please their coaches, though there has been widespread support among the players for the match.

Selection

Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin have all been picked in the star-studded 27-man squads announced on Tuesday for next week’s return of State representative footy.
Richmond superstar Martin was the first player to confirm his involvement in next week’s bushfire relief match, announcing on Monday he will play for Victoria.

The Brownlow medallist and premiership star was the first player picked for the representative battle against the All-Stars on February 28 at Marvel Stadium.

Richmond and GWS are the clubs with the highest representation with both clubs to feature six players in the AFL’s first State of Origin game since 2008.

Martin, Tom Lynch, Bachar Houli and Trent Cotchin will fly the flag for Victoria, while Shane Edwards and Jack Riewoldt have been picked for the All Stars.

The Giants have five players in the Victorian squad (Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield and Nick Haynes). Stephen Coniglio will represent the All Stars.

Why are posters so worked up over a charity game?
Exactly. A combination of embarrassing Victorian supporters declaring the outcome proved how great Vic is, and non-Vic people strangely caring about losing way too much when their State didn't even have a team playing.

It was an exhibition game to raise money for a worthy cause. It did that, everyone wins. It had none of the on field passion associated with a State of Origin game and that meant there were no injuries - again, everyone wins.

We don’t know.

Probably how normal people feel about all football games.

Well I'm glad Victoria won then, because with those 4 points we are now on top of the ladder. OR maybe not normal people don't understand the context of what last nights game was really about. Care to tell me what last nights game was really about "normal poster guy"?

Exactly. A combination of embarrassing Victorian supporters declaring the outcome proved how great Vic is, and non-Vic people strangely caring about losing way too much when their State didn't even have a team playing.

It was an exhibition game to raise money for a worthy cause. It did that, everyone wins. It had none of the on field passion associated with a State of Origin game and that meant there were no injuries - again, everyone wins.

Correct. We got to witness a great skilled, fast game and millions got raised to benefit people who were affected by the fires. Honestly, who really gave a s**t about best on ground last night? They could of given it to Razor Ray for all i care. The whole production was respectfully done and while we bag the AFL out on heaps of issues, in my eyes, they got this game right. And well done to everyone to contributed or donated.

Great cause but state of origin in AFL is dead. Was so boring the crowd resorted to beer snakes and Mexican waves.
It's good in theory but I know what you mean even if it's vic vs wa or sa I wouldn't care too much. It's great seeing the best players out there but in the end of the day the premiership season is all that matters. I think that it worked back in the 70s/80s was that the states had something to prove and you would actually see players from other leagues. Since it's a national comp none of that really matters. It works in the nrl because it's only played in those two states even then I don't really get it because there's always the next year.

ok but could they do it if they could only choose a max of 3 players from any one side, as were the selection rules for tonight? Part of the reason we dont have SA/WA origin is because of the burden/risk on SA/WA teams.
Those selection rules were scrapped, there was 6 Richmond players out there I’m pretty sure.

Anyone else like the orange footy?

I thought it looked good. It's closer to the seldom-used red Sherrin and it seemed to work fine on tele. I'd like to see more of it.
It stands out a lot more than the yellow one.

Is this a serious question?

WA would slap Victoria, SA would give them a decent run as well.

A forward line of Kennedy, Franklin, Darling, Walters, Cameron and Ryan. Midfield of Fyfe, Yeo, Cripps, Cogs, Kelly. Defence of McGovern, Sheppard, Hurley, Jetta, JJ etc.

WA would chop up.
All those players were eligble last night plus even more and still lost. Its obvious the wa and sa arent even remotely competitive with victoria.

ok but could they do it if they could only choose a max of 3 players from any one side, as were the selection rules for tonight? Part of the reason we dont have SA/WA origin is because of the burden/risk on SA/WA teams.
No the reason we dont have them is SA and WA talent pool is too small compared to victorias. Half of afl players are from victoria.

A forward line of Kennedy, Franklin, Darling, Walters, Cameron and Ryan. Midfield of Fyfe, Yeo, Cripps, Cogs, Kelly. Defence of McGovern, Sheppard, Hurley, Jetta, JJ etc.

WA would chop up.

So, a lower quality version of the all stars team is going to "slap" the team that beat the all stars team...

Uh huh...

WA would chop up.
Applying the same rules as last night? No more than 6 players from any afl squad?

That midfield you mentioned did play last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Applying the same rules as last night? No more than 6 players from any afl squad?

That midfield you mentioned did play last night.
I doubt those rules would be applied to a competitive state of origin series. That was just to *try* and get all 18 clubs equally represented, which didn’t happen.

Ofcourse its sustainable 1 game a year. Rugby does 3 games a year and it works fine.
In Rugby league, SoO is the pinacle. It thrives because both states are similar in size and depth. Players and fans value it as high as winning the premiership.

That's never been the case for Aussie Rules.

In a WA v Victoria matchup, West Coast and Fremantle are taking the most risk by playing more players. All it takes is for one of them to start resting players and the whole concept falls apart.

I doubt those rules would be applied to a competitive state of origin series. That was just to *try* and get all 18 clubs equally represented, which didn’t happen.

They'd probably only enforce such rules on Vic in order to handicap them so it'd be a competitive game.

In Rugby league, SoO is the pinacle. It thrives because both states are similar in size and depth. Players and fans value it as high as winning the premiership.

That's never been the case for Aussie Rules.

In a WA v Victoria matchup, West Coast and Fremantle are taking the most risk by playing more players. All it takes is for one of them to start resting players and the whole concept falls apart.

No, Playing for Australia is the pinnacle. Also in Rugby League, players picked for SOO can't play for their club the weekend before the game, and not many players get picked for Australia if they don't play well in SOO.

Well I'm glad Victoria won then, because with those 4 points we are now on top of the ladder. OR maybe not normal people don't understand the context of what last nights game was really about. Care to tell me what last nights game was really about "normal poster guy"?
Was a pretext to play a great game of football, raise money for bushfire affected communities, and advertise for Coles all at the same time.

AFL is cynonimous with cynicism.

Au-pair Football League?
haha... no au pair no children should be injured in this post or any others that I make...
cynismn... or else that type of believing nothing until I know the truth is the key...

the world is rampant with lies and it is up to us plebs that we work it out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back