Bushfire Cricket Bash – Ponting XI v Gilchrist XI @ Junction Oval, 3.15pm AEDT

ptrg

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
FNQ (get me outta here)
AFL Club
Melbourne
As always, learning experience from this for next time is, unless they bring a very special ability (like huge slogger or comedy act such as being a porker etc), dont play nobody, plodder people. No one wants to see that. They just drag the game down.

Also need to reign in hero players like watto and Lee who cannot read a room. BT is the King on calling them out, but need some sort of punishment system if everyone agrees they are taking it too seriously.

Ideally you pick people with some semblance of a brain, who can work out when the game calls for a “misfield” or a “wicket”. Again this rules out the likes of Watto and Lee.

Edit: Actually, just don’t pick Watson or Lee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As always, learning experience from this for next time is, unless they bring a very special ability (like huge slogger or comedy act such as being a porker etc), dont play nobody, plodder people. No one wants to see that. They just drag the game down.

Also need to reign in hero players like watto and Lee who cannot read a room. BT is the King on calling them out, but need some sort of punishment system if everyone agrees they are taking it too seriously.

Ideally you pick people with some semblance of a brain, who can work out when the game calls for a “misfield” or a “wicket”. Again this rules out the likes of Watto and Lee.

Watson did what he was supposed to do. Hit boundaries and then retire out.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Crashing bore.. no it is a bashing core.. no failing that it is a worthy stunt that can reap millions of mega watts of usage..

Power is king.. power is wandering around an oval with something worth while to do and to do it for...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you thought that was Brett Lee takings things serious, go and watch footage of him breaking Shane Warnes hand.

A little harsh on Watson, He hit boundaries and sixes to raise money and it didn't effect the result.
well we do like seeing everyone take some things seriously even if they don't have to.

injuries are the thing.. do people back track on being in these situations because they don't want a hand broken?
I can understand it and yet sport is the simple method of being involved as much as possible, doing what they love and
creating a means to an end. Sports people are always gathering hurt from all kinds of areas. Sad Warnie wasn't there. but it was epic still..

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
You need guys like Watson in a game like this . They bat 2-3 overs smash a few into the stands or get out trying . Great entertainment for the kids .

Personally loved seeing Akram in action. I know he got a bit a tap but still had the beautiful action through the crease at 53 yo .

Lara is just out of this world . Would still make plenty at a decent level of cricket .

matty lloyd the champ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
Without Watson, the game would not have even been close.

If you want to scrap players, get rid of the ones that can't clear the rope as professionals. No offense to Villani and Litchfield but no one came to watch them nurdle singles when you have the likes of Lara in the sheds.

Blue Arrow

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Good day. Fun game, lots of money raised & Nick Riewoldt's magnificent son producing testicles didn't get hit.

rdhopkins2

Carpe Diem
Oct 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Or maybe Watto can just have a ‘review’ of his decisions before he makes them.

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
Yeah I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Watson, the idea of these charity games isn't to see good tight bowling which yields only 2 runs per over. The bowlers bowl at half speed and the batters are expected to whack them for fours and sixes.

I went along to the game yesterday and enjoyed it. Lara's batting was definitely the highlight. 10 overs each seemed a bit short, but given the match went for more than two hours I can see why they stuck with 10.

Only downside was really how empty the oval was, for a sold out fixture. I'm not sure if there are logistical or legal reasons for not being able to sell more tickets, or if there were a bunch of people that didn't show up, but I stood in a grassed area that was pretty empty, the new stand was quite full, but there were two older stands, one was about half full, the other maybe quarter full. A shame since there seemed to be plenty of demand and lots of people outside asking about buying tickets, yet it felt only about 1/3 capacity.

Otherwise was a great event, and well organised considering the late change in venue.

Top Bottom