Bushfire Cricket Bash – Ponting XI v Gilchrist XI @ Junction Oval, 3.15pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

You need guys like Watson in a game like this . They bat 2-3 overs smash a few into the stands or get out trying . Great entertainment for the kids .

Personally loved seeing Akram in action. I know he got a bit a tap but still had the beautiful action through the crease at 53 yo .

Lara is just out of this world . Would still make plenty at a decent level of cricket .

Without Watson, the game would not have even been close.

If you want to scrap players, get rid of the ones that can't clear the rope as professionals. No offense to Villani and Litchfield but no one came to watch them nurdle singles when you have the likes of Lara in the sheds.

Good day. Fun game, lots of money raised & Nick Riewoldt's magnificent son producing testicles didn't get hit.

As always, learning experience from this for next time is, unless they bring a very special ability (like huge slogger or comedy act such as being a porker etc), dont play nobody, plodder people. No one wants to see that. They just drag the game down.

Also need to reign in hero players like watto and Lee who cannot read a room. BT is the King on calling them out, but need some sort of punishment system if everyone agrees they are taking it too seriously.

Ideally you pick people with some semblance of a brain, who can work out when the game calls for a “misfield” or a “wicket”. Again this rules out the likes of Watto and Lee.

Edit: Actually, just don’t pick Watson or Lee.
Or maybe Watto can just have a ‘review’ of his decisions before he makes them.

Yeah I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Watson, the idea of these charity games isn't to see good tight bowling which yields only 2 runs per over. The bowlers bowl at half speed and the batters are expected to whack them for fours and sixes.

I went along to the game yesterday and enjoyed it. Lara's batting was definitely the highlight. 10 overs each seemed a bit short, but given the match went for more than two hours I can see why they stuck with 10.

Only downside was really how empty the oval was, for a sold out fixture. I'm not sure if there are logistical or legal reasons for not being able to sell more tickets, or if there were a bunch of people that didn't show up, but I stood in a grassed area that was pretty empty, the new stand was quite full, but there were two older stands, one was about half full, the other maybe quarter full. A shame since there seemed to be plenty of demand and lots of people outside asking about buying tickets, yet it felt only about 1/3 capacity.

Otherwise was a great event, and well organised considering the late change in venue.

Yeah I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Watson, the idea of these charity games isn't to see good tight bowling which yields only 2 runs per over. The bowlers bowl at half speed and the batters are expected to whack them for fours and sixes.

I went along to the game yesterday and enjoyed it. Lara's batting was definitely the highlight. 10 overs each seemed a bit short, but given the match went for more than two hours I can see why they stuck with 10.

Only downside was really how empty the oval was, for a sold out fixture. I'm not sure if there are logistical or legal reasons for not being able to sell more tickets, or if there were a bunch of people that didn't show up, but I stood in a grassed area that was pretty empty, the new stand was quite full, but there were two older stands, one was about half full, the other maybe quarter full. A shame since there seemed to be plenty of demand and lots of people outside asking about buying tickets, yet it felt only about 1/3 capacity.

Otherwise was a great event, and well organised considering the late change in venue.

Yeah it was a bit weird, they said they had 3,500 when the capacity is about 7,000 so can’t understand why they didn’t sell more tickets?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting dynamic in here that Watson and Lara played nearly the exact same innings but one was taking it too seriously while the other is a king.
I guess people read it differently when one guy was only recently playing professional T20 cricket while the other has been retired for more than a decade

I guess people read it differently when one guy was only recently playing professional T20 cricket while the other has been retired for more than a decade
If anything that means Lara was probably trying harder than Watson to produce the same result.

An interesting dynamic in here that Watson and Lara played nearly the exact same innings but one was taking it too seriously while the other is a king.
some players just seemingly never lose the title as whipping boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back