Discussion Bushfire Relief 'State of Origin' Game Jumper Concepts & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

muggsy26

Senior List
Jan 14, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
This has always been my stance. Every year when NRL SOO rolls around, like clockwork the talkback is discussing a return for the AFL. But it just can’t work like it does in the NRL because we are actually a national game.

How about the All-Stars all wear their respective jumpers in colour, and Victoria wears a white jumper with a navy V?

Could the AFL have a 22 week season. Week 1, 8, 15 and 22 (Final) being State of Origin with 4 teams (WA, SA, Vic and Allies). The other 17 weeks are AFL teams where everyone plays each other once and their 'rival' twice. That way teams will be able to play roughly 2 months of footy with a bye each week, takes away the argument for biased fixturing and the majority of players will still have a bye week before playing finals. I think this would probably be the only way an actual SoO competition could work.

From a purely design perspective, the A is quite clever. The jumper is definitely better looking than 2008, and its all for an excellent cause, BUT...

The utter contempt that the AFL shows the “other” states is disgraceful. Its literally an upside down V. Either everyone should get to represent their state, or nobody does. I get that Victoria has the biggest talent pool to draw from, but that doesn’t make them any more important, nor should it diminish the importance of other states and their players desire to represent them. Victorian players get to feel the pride of wearing the big V jumper while all the others will never get that chance.

Just make both teams all stars. Split the teams east/west, do a schoolyard pick, whatever. If they must do SoO, then make it Vic v WA. They’d be the two strongest teams currently and everyone involved is actually playing for something meaningful.

What about the All Australian team vs The All Stars?

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Could the AFL have a 22 week season. Week 1, 8, 15 and 22 (Final) being State of Origin with 4 teams (WA, SA, Vic and Allies). The other 17 weeks are AFL teams where everyone plays each other once and their 'rival' twice. That way teams will be able to play roughly 2 months of footy with a bye each week, takes away the argument for biased fixturing and the majority of players will still have a bye week before playing finals. I think this would probably be the only way an actual SoO competition could work.

I’m not particularly a fan of the Allies concept either. Its the same issues you get with the All Stars, just on a smaller scale. I know the talent pool may not be there for NSW or QLD teams, but to me it just has the same problems except this time SA and WA players aren’t affected.

Its why I think there is no good way to make SOO work in AFL and I think it just needs to be laid to rest.

If we want some sort of representative game, it needs to move away from being based on the states IMO.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not particularly a fan of the Allies concept either. Its the same issues you get with the All Stars, just on a smaller scale. I know the talent pool may not be there for NSW or QLD teams, but to me it just has the same problems except this time SA and WA players aren’t affected.

Its why I think there is no good way to make SOO work in AFL and I think it just needs to be laid to rest.

If we want some sort of representative game, it needs to move away from being based on the states IMO.

I think the only way you could do a SOO is to either have one made up of the second division/reserves clubs (either throughout or at the end of the season) or use the 10 other clubs that didnt make finals that year (or potentially the bottom/ first eliminated 12) and do a game the day before the gf (in this circumstance there would be atleast a couple of weeks off/training before the game itself). But with the latter idea you would still need to work out a concept (whether it be a rotation of states, possibly depending on hosting rights, vs the rest or just an all star based thing, similar to the nfl)

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
State Football could be a real showpiece if they raise the draft age to 20/21 or restrict the number of u20s on clubs list. There’ll be a lot more interest in those games if there’s a proper carnival played over a month or so. there’ll be better players and filled with players about to get drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mozzie_Squad

All Australian
Dec 13, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melb City, Storm, Stars
The All Stars one looks fresh. Definitely getting my hands on a Big V.

View attachment 824134View attachment 824133

tenor (1).gif

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
State Football could be a real showpiece if they raise the draft age to 20/21 or restrict the number of u20s on clubs list. There’ll be a lot more interest in those games if there’s a proper carnival played over a month or so. there’ll be better players and filled with players about to get drafted.
While somewhat unrelated to the thread, I second this. I only care about the Carnival games because of the people I know playing who are around my age but I would be hard pressed to give a crap 5 or 10 years down the track.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I think it's rather amusing that the non-Victorian team is an upside down V. Victoria v Not Victoria couldn't be summed up any better.
Make the guernsey yellow with a green A, and it becomes Victoria v. Australia. The All-Stars guernsey would have an extra appeal.

1581951928584.png

Something I've been working on. Sorry for the poor quality! It's 1:30am on a Tuesday and I'm tired, grumpy and want to sleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll do QLD, NSW, ACT, NT, Tas if I feel like it.

Anyway, I think it'd be cool to see the Allies play like this together.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
View attachment 824617

Something I've been working on. Sorry for the poor quality! It's 1:30am on a Tuesday and I'm tired, grumpy and want to sleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll do QLD, NSW, ACT, NT, Tas if I feel like it.

Anyway, I think it'd be cool to see the Allies play like this together.
It shouldn't work... but it does somehow. Love it.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Lol love how Tassie's jumper features what is basically just a green outline.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From a purely design perspective, the A is quite clever. The jumper is definitely better looking than 2008, and its all for an excellent cause, BUT...

The utter contempt that the AFL shows the “other” states is disgraceful. Its literally an upside down V. Either everyone should get to represent their state, or nobody does. I get that Victoria has the biggest talent pool to draw from, but that doesn’t make them any more important, nor should it diminish the importance of other states and their players desire to represent them. Victorian players get to feel the pride of wearing the big V jumper while all the others will never get that chance.

Just make both teams all stars. Split the teams east/west, do a schoolyard pick, whatever. If they must do SoO, then make it Vic v WA. They’d be the two strongest teams currently and everyone involved is actually playing for something meaningful.

Completely agree. Design wise the fed star minus one point is quite clever, although now I can’t stop looking at the down arrow in the negative space of the V. But I hate the entire concept of the All Stars because it’s yet another example of the ridiculous nature of this competition and it’s inherent inequity. Yeah yeah I know if you don’t love it leave etc.

muggsy26

Senior List
Jan 14, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Fair point. To counter this could you have two divisions with four teams in each division. The same system and at the end of each year the bottom team of the top division is relegated and the top team of second division is promoted. That way you represent everyone and games become more even within each division.

Sorry for the spam, here's the last one. Slight updates including gold trim and shorts.

Lol love how Tassie's jumper features what is basically just a green outline.
I was unsure how to approach it, but here's an alternative version.

1581995537743.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back