Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we'd drafted Butcher with pick 9 insted of pick 8 would the reduced pressure on him lead to a more successful career?

Don't think so, but a less grandiose nickname wouldn't have hurt.

I don't know who came up with "The Future" but they deserve a swift kick in the balls.

I am really looking forward to opening this thread in many years and reading the reactions of some of the new 12 year olds on here 'who is this John Butcher that you speak of?'.

*There are some careers that just have been so breathtakingly mismanaged that it brings tears to one's eyes. I am not absolving John of all blame but fm if he couldn't have had a better shot in that last year when we had only one forward (on sore glass ankles) but no, play on coaches that was a Gary Kasparov type chess move. It was so strategic that it looked stupid even.*

But again can't wait to still be banging on about this in 20 odd years.

* I love that I came on here to have a laugh at this thread still being debated and then I go ahead and get on my soap box anyway. Thanks BF.

.... a less grandiose nickname wouldn't have hurt.

I don't know who came up with "The Future" but they deserve a swift kick in the balls.

The Future still applies.

Before he kicked those 6 goals against the Bulldogs, it honestly felt like the club didn't have a future.

He changed that feeling.
Strongly agree with the latter.
When Butcher played those apparent break-out games in 2011 he did so with flair and confidence. He appeared to love the spotlight that came with that. and with being given a longish and well-paid contract. We were playing at Footy Park in front of sub 20,000 attendances but he was going to be our marquee player. Being briefly hyped as 'The Future' was not high on his eventual problem list.

If we ever do redrafted him the media will be itching to do the back to the Future pun

Edit
Bloody auto correct

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Future still applies.

Before he kicked those 6 goals against the Bulldogs, it honestly felt like the club didn't have a future.

He changed that feeling.

Strongly agree with the latter.
When Butcher played those apparent break-out games in 2011 he did so with flair and confidence. He appeared to love the spotlight that came with that. and with being given a longish and well-paid contract. We were playing at Footy Park in front of sub 20,000 attendances but he was going to be our marquee player. Being briefly hyped as 'The Future' was not high on his eventual problem list.

I can see it both ways.

If someone's a bit of a FIGJAM or an attention junkie I can understand them loving that s**t, but not everyone does their best work in the limelight. Some people prefer to fly under the radar without the weight of expectation.

It all depends on his personality, so I think the only person who could really answer this question is Butcher himself, or perhaps someome who knows him well.

The rest of us are just taking a stab in the dark.

*There are some careers that just have been so breathtakingly mismanaged that it brings tears to one's eyes. I am not absolving John of all blame but fm if he couldn't have had a better shot in that last year when we had only one forward (on sore glass ankles) but no, play on coaches that was a Gary Kasparov type chess move. It was so strategic that it looked stupid even.*

We only ever had one proper, AFL standard key forward for his entire career with the club (Schulz 2010-2015, Dixon 2016). And we were s**t and out of finals contention for the majority of his career with the club. It is a total travesty of justice that he was never given a proper opportunity to sink or swim.

View media item 114
One of my photos from the infamous signing night, September 2011.
Looks like a young Bruce Springsteen - "Glory Days"

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days

Tyrone Vickery was given 8 years and 100+ afl games to prove he isn't an afl player.
Hmmm...not sure using Richmond's development standards as a guide is a convincing argument. You could just as well argue that Hawthorn gave Vickery another contract so he was the better player but that doesn't mean anything either.

Hmmm...not sure using Richmond's development standards as a guide is a convincing argument. You could just as well argue that Hawthorn gave Vickery another contract so he was the better player but that doesn't mean anything either.
Their development of drafted tall forwards is as good if not better than ours over the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back