Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker is the only developed tall in their forward line that they drafted
Are we seriously arguing whether the Crows can develop tall forwards?

Josh Jenkins is absolutely a product of Adelaide's development. Ditto Lynch who played all of six matches at St Kilda in a couple of years.

Are we seriously arguing whether the Crows can develop tall forwards?

Josh Jenkins is absolutely a product of Adelaide's development. Ditto Lynch who played all of six matches at St Kilda in a couple of years.
Not only that but Tippet was pretty well developed when he left. I think you'd have to be in denial to suggest Adelaide haven't done well with their drafting/recruiting/developing systems for tall forwards.

Last edited:

DSC0016.jpg

You can't disqualify Tippet and Gunston because they went to other clubs, and then also disqualify Jenkins and Lynch because they came from other clubs, surely there's a disconnect in logic there?

Look how well that went for them
Gunston - 3 flags, 4 grand final appearances for Hawthorn
Tippett - 0 flags, 2 grand finals appearances for Sydney
Walker - 0 flags, 0 grand final appearances

A++ recruiting.
Current quality Crows forwards drafted, retained and developed.
Taylor Walker.

If we're going for a super specific statistic here's mine:

Criteria:
  • Tall Forward
  • Drafted or recruited before the age of 23 in the last 10 years
  • Played over 20 games and kicked over 40 goals in at least 1 AFL season

Crows:
Walker
Lynch
Jenkins
Gunston
Tippett

Ports:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Cam Hitchcock and Daniel Stewart are on this list.

Benny Jacobs came within a handful of games too despite flying home to mummy after just two seasons.
Yet they were not given as long a time as Butch on the list to prove their worth. Cut after 4/5 years

The only example you need is the fact that Michael Pettigrew has his name on a locker at Alberton.
I'll let that sink in. Michael. Pettigrew.
I also apologise in advance to anyone who had successfully wiped his career from their memory.
Yeah, ... lets compare apples with oranges, shall we! He was a jouneyman, a break-glass depth player who played a role. Every club has a handful of these Paul Stewart-Pettigrew type players on their list at any given time. Butch was 'the future", a first round draft pick, playing in a key position that was given 7 years - and failed! Yes it can be argued that he wasnt given some games at times where it seemed he would ... but that should have made him fight harder - it didnt! He had the talent & the heart, he just didnt have it in the head IMO .... The difference between champions and the rest. Sad, but at the same time it is a fundamental of professional sport. Super impressed with him staying in the SANFL though ... wish him the best.

More games in less time despite an obvious lack of potential is the whole point.
Yeah, but was that a blight on the selectors ... or Butch? Aint gonna pick him if he's playing crap! Take Moore for example, he would smash it in the SANFL, and demand selection .... then play shitaki in the AFL!!

Butch just played shitaki! :(

Yeah, but was that a blight on the selectors ... or Butch? Aint gonna pick him if he's playing crap! Take Moore for example, he would smash it in the SANFL, and demand selection .... then play shitaki in the AFL!!

Butch just played shitaki! :(

At risk of breaching El_Scorcho copyrights there are plenty of players who produced State League scat and still got selected.

Exhibit A: Cam O'Shea. 81 games. (I know right?!)

Yet they were not given as long a time as Butch on the list to prove their worth. Cut after 4/5 years

Yeah, ... lets compare apples with oranges, shall we! He was a jouneyman, a break-glass depth player who played a role. Every club has a handful of these Paul Stewart-Pettigrew type players on their list at any given time. Butch was 'the future", a first round draft pick, playing in a key position that was given 7 years - and failed! Yes it can be argued that he wasnt given some games at times where it seemed he would ... but that should have made him fight harder - it didnt! He had the talent & the heart, he just didnt have it in the head IMO .... The difference between champions and the rest. Sad, but at the same time it is a fundamental of professional sport. Super impressed with him staying in the SANFL though ... wish him the best.

I doubt we're ever going to agree on the Butch-oppourtunity thing, although if it means keeping the thread alive I may be open to a fruitless debate just for fun ;)

But entirely serious, yet somewhat pedantic question: how could Pettigrew be considered a football "journeyman" when he only played at the highest level for us, and has only been to one other club since? By my reckoning, he may well have played for the least amount of clubs possible.

Does Hinkley have the last word in regards to selections ? Curious as there were a few games Butch coulda come in a plugged a hole but was overlooked......

Lol the last page of this thread. Thank God we had Brisbane to develop Jared Polec for us :drunk:

Yeh, like we should have given him 7 years on the list to try to prove he was AFL standard. :huh:

We could give a player 50 years on the list, but if we never give that player a proper run of AFL games we still haven't really given him a chance.

Last edited:
I doubt we're ever going to agree on the Butch-oppourtunity thing, although if it means keeping the thread alive I may be open to a fruitless debate just for fun ;)

But entirely serious, yet somewhat pedantic question: how could Pettigrew be considered a football "journeyman" when he only played at the highest level for us, and has only been to one other club since? By my reckoning, he may well have played for the least amount of clubs possible.
So what is your definition of a "journeyman"? A quick dictionary check for you:
journeyman
ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
noun
  1. 1.
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

Lol the last page of this thread. Thank God we had Brisbane to develop Jared Polec for us :drunk:

We could give a player 50 years on the list, but if we never give that player a proper run of AFL games we still haven't really given him a chance.
Jeez he was given enough games ... Look at DBJ ... Took his chance and owned it! Butch just couldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back