Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
You mean the same Schoenmakers who has missed three years of football with injury, and who was one of their best in the 2015 final series when he returned, helping them to another premiership? I'd take him on a heartbeat!

John Butcher never had injury issues...

Schoenmakers is s**t, any good form is an aberration. He was playing as a fourth tall forward in those games! The brought in two free agents to account for his shitness!

The point is though, Hawks recognise his value in the team and plan, the value of a mature and experienced body and hold the structure together.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
I hope for our sake Eddy is an adept AFL player but declaring him an upgrade before he's kicked a footy at the highest level then calling others delusional is laughable.

Let me know when he gets a haul of six or a few bags of four at AFL level before declaring him an upgrade.
He is a huge upgrade. The club has done well

Sep 8, 2014
Look behind you!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings, Oakland Raiders
#22poststogo
FvK7hEA.gif

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
John Butcher never had injury issues...

Schoenmakers is s**t, any good form

in an aberration. He was playing as a fourth tall forward in those games! The brought in two free agents to account for his shitness!

The point is though, Hawks recognise his value in the team and plan, the value of a mature and experienced body and hold the structure together.

Pfff ... thats your opinion ...

A fit Schoemakers pisses on J Butcher!

I'm as disappointed as anyone that things didn't work out with Butch, and I wish him all the best except when he's playing against Port.

But at the same time, I prefer to look forward instead of back. Whether people like it or not, John Butcher will NOT be a part of Port Adelaide's future, but guys like Atley and Powell-Pepper (among others) will be. These players will take us to our next premiership: when Travis Boak is holding the premiership cup aloft, I'm fairly sure I won't be thinking about John Butcher :).

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Clangerfests are never the problem if it looks as though you're at least trying to follow instructions at all times.

I'll point back to the Brisbane game that every Butcher fan jizzed about because he was sooooo dominant. Bassett came on radio the next day and hosed down the idea that he had a fantastic game because he neglected defensive actions and left it up to others to do the work for him.

Players at Hawthorn and Sydney know the level to which they need to perform and what is a fundamental requirement to get a game.

If there is one thing at our club I won't listen to it is criticism for not being defensive, we were far too defensively minded this year.

Dixon drops a few marks that magically fall to Jake Neade however and he is Michael Jordon of footy.

I see your Mitch Thorp and raise you Jarryd Roughead.

So Hawthorn knew Roughead would be a star and Thorp would amount to sweet * all, so they treated them as such? Your point?

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If there is one thing at our club I won't listen to it is criticism for not being defensive, we were far too defensively minded this year.

Dixon drops a few marks that magically fall to Jake Neade however and he is Michael Jordon of footy.

In all seriousness, what is the pass mark for Dixon?
30 goals from 16-18 games?
Crumbs for Neade and Impey?
Us just winning games?
An average of 4.3 players knocked over per game?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
In all seriousness, what is the pass mark for Dixon?
30 goals from 16-18 games?
Crumbs for Neade and Impey?
Us just winning games?
An average of 4.3 players knocked over per game?

Don't know don't care, but in that game he did less things with the footy than Butch but had endless praise coming from the box.

Whatever their standards and pass marks is more important, as is whether they differ player to player, week to week.

I'm not sure why people don't get that the single biggest reason a player doesn't make themselves a career at AFL level is the player themselves - whether that be injury, ability or mental toughness.

Butch struggled in two of these areas, I like him and wanted him to succeed because of what he cost us but time moves on....... from the moment he first struggled in his second AFL season he never regained confidence.

Clangerfests are never the problem if it looks as though you're at least trying to follow instructions at all times.

I'll point back to the Brisbane game that every Butcher fan jizzed about because he was sooooo dominant. Bassett came on radio the next day and hosed down the idea that he had a fantastic game because he neglected defensive actions and left it up to others to do the work for him.

Players at Hawthorn and Sydney know the level to which they need to perform and what is a fundamental requirement to get a game.

If defensive actions are so important then why has Robbie Gray, who doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, won the best and fairest 100 years in a row? Ditto Hamish Hartlett, our vice captain. I could go on. Smacks of a rules for some, rules for others mentality.

Pedro59

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
northern rivers NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not sure why people don't get that the single biggest reason a player doesn't make themselves a career at AFL level is the player themselves - whether that be injury, ability or mental toughness.

Butch struggled in two of these areas, I like him and wanted him to succeed because of what he cost us but time moves on....... from the moment he first struggled in his second AFL season he never regained confidence.
I think this is s good post

Regardless if Butch was in the A or B team it seems he was kept in the loop with an opportunity to step up
if he took it, demanded it grabbed it.
Two wrongs dont make a right so it also doesn't rub by comparing his opportunities to Pettigrew for eg.

I read this thread as a parody just about like the 'life of Brian' when I read comments about the 'great man' or Butch for Prez etc
Its only funny to me
Not sad or tragic

Re structure
I may be on my own here ( and yes he went missing ( or was it his team supply) )but Jake Neade added bags and bags of structure to our F50 on more than a few occasions...veritably stiching our forwards together electrically in some games
Whereas with Butch just crashing packs seemed like surely not enough

And to be honest after the Bulldogs effortless well drilled F50 entries compared to our mercurial effort tryhard bumbling slow entries.... We are even judging Butch's structure efforts from a bloody low base IMO

I mean big forward crashes packs
Um yeah and?.......?

No doubt him (and Kern for that matter) are nice blokes but in a professional sport we have to mark the pass mark harder

Gee I wonder if any Bethlehem Nativity murals are featuring the great man this Christmas

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If defensive actions are so important then why has Robbie Gray, who doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, won the best and fairest 100 years in a row? Ditto Hamish Hartlett, our vice captain. I could go on. Smacks of a rules for some, rules for others mentality.
Gray v Butch...

Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back