Buying a Hi-Def TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Am looking at buying a flat screen hi def 50” TV.

Probably have a look around JB HiFi on the weekend, but want to have an idea on what is any good, did see a Samsung Series something or other that had a pretty good picture.

Obviously buying it for the sport, and have Fox connected from the phone line,
so am wondering what is recommded in the 2.5-3.5k range.

Got the Panasonic Vierra 50" Plasma at home. Great flat screen TV.

X 2 and i love it!!

As mentioned above by TC the DTV Forum is great for these types of questions. :thumbsu:

Am looking at buying a flat screen hi def 50” TV.

Probably have a look around JB HiFi on the weekend, but want to have an idea on what is any good, did see a Samsung Series something or other that had a pretty good picture.

Obviously buying it for the sport, and have Fox connected from the phone line,
so am wondering what is recommded in the 2.5-3.5k range.

LG Plasma with Time Machine would be perfect for sport. Pause, rewind live TV. May be out of the price range tho. Samsung is a solid brand. Plasma is best for sport, as most new ones are 600hz, perfect for sport. Higher the contrast ratio the better too! Sharper colours.

I bought a 46" Samsung Series 6 LED from JB's 4 months ago for a bit over your budget Numbers but with the improvement in the Aussie dollar you should be able to wangle it. I got a bonus 22" Samsung Series 4 LCD as part of a special offer. The LED (not quiet the same as a LCD) is a beautiful picture - the top of the range LED/LCD match up with the plasma for colours/black and sport motion nowadays. It's main advantage other than the pic is that it is super slim and can be hung as flat as painting on the wall - JB's usually have one free standing to illustrate this feature. I would not recommend the sound - it needs a sound system (not a cheapy as the Samsung series 6 only has a digital audio out and some cheap sound systems do not have digital audio in)

I knew the manager of my JB (a guy who really knows his stuff) and when I took a friend there who was on a tighter budget he steered him to a LG top of their range LCD - you could see the pic was as good as the more pricey brands. He explained that they were value for money as they had gone through a poor reliability patch some time back so that they now had to win back their market share

Don't forget to check out the screen from all the angles you are likely to view it from at home. I find the LED pic deteriorates slightly once you get more than 45 degrees off centre - if you have it on the wall you don't have the option of the stand swivel if you are beaten to the best lounge spots

Bargain hard as the improved dollar should be having a huge impact. Pick geeks brains - you don't have to rush in to it as the prices are falling and it is months until the footy season ;) I knew my man pretty well but it is not like he was a close friend and yet he was able to knock $1k/30+% off my fancy speakers - they clearly have huge margins to play within

ps If I could do it all again - I would have paid the extra (big bucks) for the Pioneer plasma (Japanese model) which Pioneer no longer make or any other for that matter - fancy leaving the market when you are the benchmark for superb picture quality. There may still be a couple floating around at twice your budget :eek:

I would say get the Panasonic as well, great TV and full HD, don;t go for the half HD crap if your going to spend so much cash.

Thanks team, money isn't really that much of an issue, settlement pending.

Would this one sound reasonable?

Samsung 50" Full HD 1080 Plasma TV
• 600hz Sub Field Motion • DLNA Wireless • Ultra Slim Just 30mm Thin

Plasma Screen Size 127cm / 50 Inch, 1920 x 1080, Built in HD Tuner, Full HD 1080, Blu-Ray Disc Ready.

for $3200, but will cash him down.
and they throw in a HD LCD TV for nix.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/3000-4000/

Plasma Screen Size 127cm / 50 Inch, 1920 x 1080, Built in HD Tuner, Full HD 1080, Blu-Ray Disc Ready.

Not too bad but try and cash him down like you said, get a few free extras on the side as well if you can. You don't like the Panasonic? Heard it's very reliable and have seen the picture quality which is excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The catalogue says they are dealing anyway so cash should be a little extra again - you can go under $3k on that.

I noticed it during the week and thought it looked allright but I mostly checked out the connections - from memory it had standard RCA audio out sockets so that if you want to improve the sound you can connect to some of the cheaper surround sound systems but check it has audio digital out to for if you want to connect to a superior surround system. Being a music lover DO remember sound is important - hard in store but if you are not connecting to a sound system you need to listen to the sound quality - back facing speakers are generally ordinary.

Compare the pic to the 46" LED - 4th one down on that catalogue - that is the one Harker and I have and don't forget your likely viewing angles. The bonus unit is a neat little bedroom/study unit

NOW most importantly think of everything you need to go with it because NOW is the time to package it all up - a power board (Belkin offer superior protection) HDMI cable for superior connection to your dvd (are you thinking of going blue-ray player/recorder) I am not sure what you connect your foxtel with now but consider this to, to get the best out of your new unit. Anyway all these things add up and when you are making a big purchase THEY CAN HALVE these somewhat expensive add ons - tell them your little Number friend 5 had his halved if they don't readily come to the party - s**t they can even reduce extended warranty if you are thinking along those lines

ps If you are hanging it on the wall and it takes one of the fancy Samsung hanging systems - they can knock $100 off these I promise you. If you want to hang it on the wall and angle it (not really the point of super flat Tv's mind you) then the samsung 'hang it like a picture' system is not the way to go.

So how much would i expect to pay for a Home Theatre System?
The 2 in the brochure vary from $226 to $987, which is a fair whack.

See i rarely if ever watch DVD/s, too much live sport.
but wouldn't mind running music through the speakers,
can pretty much convert anything music wise.

and if i get that and the TV, does that cover everything?

So how much would i expect to pay for a Home Theatre System?
The 2 in the brochure vary from $226 to $987, which is a fair whack.

See i rarely if ever watch DVD/s, too much live sport.
but wouldn't mind running music through the speakers,
can pretty much convert anything music wise.

and if i get that and the TV, does that cover everything?

Even though I am supposed to be a minimalist since the fires - I spent twice as much on an amp, 2 speakers and sub woofer as I did on the LED :eek: (gotta love insurance payouts)

Whether or not you buy from JB's pick the brain of the oldest guy on floor (old guys at JB's means he has been with them since he was young). If he does not share his knowledge and really want to look after you go back another day or try another JB store. You don't have to get a surround sound - you can just get a couple of better speakers and amp but make sure the amp is compatible with your new TV's audio outs (remember my earlier post about 'digital audio out')

Don't forget cables etc etc make sure you get everything you need for connecting as with the big purchase, this is when you can shave almost 50% off all these necessities.

Think it through - you have waited this long so why rush now. Good buying mate :thumbsu: Don't forget the golden question "What can you do that for?" and sometimes the follow up "Is that really the best you can do?" :)

I have the same Samsung series 6, Five has.
You really can't go wrong with Samsung. Best bang for buck out there, with a brilliant picture (best in movie mode)

One thing though: Do the old phone shopping. I saved $900.00 by doing so on the telly
If you're a good talker you'll be surprised just how much you can save by doing so. Mention that Myer, Harvey Norman, Clive Peeters etc. can do better.
Always back one up against the other and insist on speaking to the manager, always.

Good luck and fruitful talking

I've heard that The Good Guys quite often pricematch and because they're franchised it's easy for the salespeople to get the go ahead to bring the prices down because the owners are usually on site. So the phone shopping idea might work best here.

I know they, as well as Betta Electrical and Retravision also do interest free finance and are currently participating in a "chance to win a million dollars" promotion for people who make purcahses over $960 before the end of this month. (I know this because I've been doing some temp work at GE capital, who are running the promotion)

I've always found The Good Guys pretty competitive when it comes to TV's and the like. Check them out before you put your hand in your pocket.

Bang! :thumbsu:

Last year round this time I bought a 50 inch television for a reasonable price + they also gave us a television cabinet and new powerboard.

I've always found The Good Guys pretty competitive when it comes to TV's and the like. Check them out before you put your hand in your pocket.

Bang! :thumbsu:

Last year round this time I bought a 50 inch television for a reasonable price + they also gave us a television cabinet and new powerboard.

I've bought both my 42" plasma's from The Good Guys.

( The first TV got smashed on xmas day 2 years ago when my youngest daughter forgot to put the strap for the wii remote on and was playing bowling and the remote flew from her hand and hit the TV like a f**king dart. End of TV)

Plus I've got quite a few other electrical products from there. And as they have my name on file they always give me a great deal. But the method I have found the best is once they give you the best price ring your Mrs or someone and sort of do the good cop / bad cop thing and apprear to have a disagreement (with you being the one that likes the price) on the phone and they will always come back with a lower price. ALWAYS.

I've bought both my 42" plasma's from The Good Guys.

( The first TV got smashed on xmas day 2 years ago when my youngest daughter forgot to put the strap for the wii remote on and was playing bowling and the remote flew from her hand and hit the TV like a f**king dart. End of TV)

Been close to happening to me. Nearly shat bricks.

You will enjoy the boxing day test Numbers :thumbsu:

Should be beaut,
Aus v Pakistan 'til the last half hour goes off for News,
then South Africa A v South Africa B in Durban.

So in the last month have snapped up a MacBook Pro 17" for $2200,
got the TV/Hometheatre for under 2k,
and got an Ipod 169g classic with the frequent flyers points.

Oh yeah, snapped up an exec. apartment on North Terrace, just in time for the Adelaide Oval redevelopment.

Done roolly, roolly good i reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back