Buying a new PC and TV (noob question)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Looking at a 42"+ size LCD tv, and buying a new gamespec pc, was wonder how to get the best results in connecting them. Just plug it in as you would a monitor, or any specific cables i should use etc etc? Im new to this LCD craze and haven't the faintest about it all. But space in my room is limited, having the pc run through the LCD seems the best idea.

But when playing games etc etc, is there a loss in quality or something?

A good LCD television should have HDMI inputs in the back of it, just as most top end PCs should. All you have to do is buy a HDMI cable for about $20 (depending on length) and plug it in.

From there it's just a case of selecting HDMI with your remote and it will show your computer screen on your TV. In fact, I'm doing it at this very moment with my LCD TV and Laptop.

yep Atheist is spot on. Make sure your new PC has the HDMI socket. If it doesn't then your supposed "game spec" PC has a crap graphics card in it. Then just connect the 2 as said above. But you will need activate the clone screen option when you do so what is on your PC shows on your TV. You can do this by right clicking on your desktop (once you have connected up to your TV) and then selecting graphics properties. This will give you the options you need to use your TV as a monitor.

If you plan on playing games, you would need a very big graphics card, especially at 42".

I've lost touch in the past 2 months with hardware, so cannot recommend any. Last I remember, a GTX295 was the biggest/best. Could be cheaper though going for dual 280's or mabye Xfire ATi4890.

Don't quote me on that though.

You can connect either by DVI or HDMI.

some specs on the gtx 295 which I currently have:

Display Support:
Maximum Digital Resolution 2560x1600
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048x1536
Standard Display Connectors Two Dual Link DVI
HDMI
Multi Monitor
checkmark.gif

HDCP*
checkmark.gif