Buying a Suit in Melbourne!?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

The drycleaner I go to (big contract drycleaner in Melbourne) says Studio Italia are the best in terms of fabrics and of course price. Apparently they outlast all the other expensive brands and come up 100% after drycleaning, whereas some people pay $1500 for a suit which will wash up like s**t.

Studio Italia are a good solid business suit. Personally I don't like them because they're not really my cut, and they're a bit generic (everybody wears them). Peter Jackson make a good, long-lasting reasonably priced suit at a similar level. Other brands like Simon Carter have a good, younger feel to them whilst still being conservative and businesslike.

You're correct that there is not much difference between price points in terms of durability once you get to around $800. At that stage all of them are 100% wool with lined trousers. Tailors will tell you that if anything the more expensive you go the less durable the suit, because coarser wool lasts longer. More $$ you're paying for nicer fabric, a better cut, and often the brand name. Because of that I'd recommend anyone looking to buy an expensive suit keep it for special occasions and have another for regular wear.

Personally at my income level I could never justify spending more than $1000 at absolute most on a suit I'm going to wear to work every day, and most of the time with discounts that figure is closer to $600 or $700-odd. Even if you buy two trouser suits, they wear out far too quickly.

My expensive suit I wear for weddings, funerals, functions, particularly important work meetings, etc. - a handful of times a year. I would never wear it to work regularly, much less somewhere like the races.

Peter Jackson on Elizabeth St is having a sale at the moment.

Walked past it today, if only I wasn't a broke Uni student.

Adriano Carbone - City
Arthur Galan - City, Chapel st & a couple of shopping centres
Bell and Barnett - City, Bridge rd, Chapel st
Calibre - City, Chapel st & a couple of shopping centres
Carbone - Brunswick
Cubec - A few stores in the cbd
Designer Suits - Coburg
Farage - Westfield Doncaster
Godwin Charli - City & Chapel st
Oscar Hunt - City
Prinzi Collections - Carlton
Sarti Tailors - City
Soho Workshop - City, Chapel st
Travelllers Apparel - Collingwood
Vogue & Jackson - City
Zebra Fashions - Collingwood

I've bought a couple of suits from Saatch a few years ago for well under $1000 and they have been fine, however my waistline has got a little bigger since then so I am thinking of an upgrade soon. :oops:

Ive never used an online store for suits before but has anyone used suitsupply.com?

I've bought a couple of suits from Saatch a few years ago for well under $1000 and they have been fine, however my waistline has got a little bigger since then so I am thinking of an upgrade soon. :oops:

Ive never used an online store for suits before but has anyone used suitsupply.com?

Yeah i've got a couple of things from there. Obv it's hit and miss with sizing but free returns.

Would also suggest you try http://www.suitshop.com.au/ or http://www.suityourstyle.com.au/ who both provide custom suits at reasonable prices whilst also providing a Melbourne-based fitting service where someone who has knowledge will fit you up rather than you measuring yourself and getting it wrong.

If you're ballin consider P Johnson.

& if you're willing to consider off-the-rack consider Herringbone, Rhodes & Beckett and MJ Bale in that order.

Try http://www.orderyourgarments.com, You will find a really good customer comments section along with photos so you can see exactly what you are getting for your money. I know that they make their suits in Hong Kong so if you want the full bespoke solution they can cater for your needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have ordered through http://www.georgeandking.com.au/ and was pretty happy, having never owned a tailored suit before, but also never having been to visit an actual tailor (still on my to do list when I can get the funds together to get a proper one fitted by a proper tailor)

The actual suit seems well made with good materials, you can have a few different things if you want (different coloured pant pocket piping etc), and they also give a guarantee that it will fit. If it doesn't, you can take it to a tailor and they will pay (can't remember if all of it or just up to an amount) the cost of getting it altered to properly fit, or if it is too expensive/impossible to get altered to fit they'll make a new one.

Will happily recommend them

Bump.

Any new tailors around or bespoked and buy suits still coming up most popular?

I love my suits and wear them for work and play. By far the best tailors in Melbourne are Germanicos Bespoke Tailors - www.tailor.com.au - In terms of price, quality and fit.

Germanicos suits fit the best and look better than any suit from any other tailor I have been to and are no comparison to all the off the rack clothes.

If you guys are after well priced custom made suits in Melbourne i would recommend The Suit Concierge in Richmond. They do custom made suits at prices that are cheaper than off the rack suits in the city. Pretty good range of fabric options - www.thesuitconcierge.com

Hey lads,

Anyone got any tips on where to buy a suit in Melbourne?

Budget is about $1000.

Thinking of stuff like Calibre, Pierucci, AG.

Looking at a light blue colour if I can find one.

Cheers

For a thousand dollars you could get an entry level bespoke suit at "Germanicos Bespoke Tailors" in Lonsdale St, that would smash anything off the rack in terms of fit. They have their pricing on their website, check it out: https://www.tailor.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back