Bye Bye Amarfios

Roos1991

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree with every point you’ve made, bar the last line. Davies-Uniacke won’t ever make a captain.
Why's that? Was a notable leader at junior level. Is finding his feet and getting physically right at AFL level. Can turn momentum in games. Leads by example already. I don't see why he isn't exactly the sort of person that could be next captain? Happy for Jy to be too but LDU ticks more of the boxes.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its so strange. End of 2019 we had a new CEO, new coach and new footy boss after turfing Scott, Joyce and Carl that year.
Replaced with Amarfio, Rawlings and Shaw one has gone and then the president left earlier this year and it just feels like more change is coming.

The reality is Rawlings and Amarfio have overseen the worst run of results in AFL history for the club that has prompted drastic action backed by the new president and the only football club accredited board member in Anthony Stevens.

Noble might or might not be the problem, but hes coach and he might not be the only change we see after Walsh is done.

I would throw the kitchen sink at getting Eugene back.
For me the best people in the leading roles would be Sonja as president, Eugene back as CEO, keep Walsh as footy boss as McPherson is inexperienced, Clarko or a Yze/Burns as head coach and then a new captain maybe LDU or McKay.

Everyone got what they wanted. The club threw the baby out with the bathwater and had every last piece of the Scott era thrown out.

That era got us from almost being relocated to 2 prelims after a rebuild with several compromised drafts. I understand people disliked Scott in the end after an unsuccessful top up phase, but f*** me, at least he didn't do what's happening now.

Turns out he wasn't so bad afterall. Of course most would rather go through this sh**show than admit that.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everyone got what they wanted. The club threw the baby out with the bathwater and had every last piece of the Scott era thrown out.

That era got us from almost being relocated to 2 prelims after a rebuild with several compromised drafts. I understand people disliked Scott in the end after an unsuccessful top up phase, but f*** me, at least he didn't do what's happening now.

Turns out he wasn't so bad afterall. Of course most would rather go through this sh**show than admit that.

You mean he had better senior players?

Actual senior players!

Like Firitto? Petrie, Harvey, Swallow, Wells, Waite, Tarrant & Thommo.

Noble, as s**t as he is, has nothing of the sort.

It’s an outrageous comparison of Apples with Oranges.

Last edited:
Its so strange. End of 2019 we had a new CEO, new coach and new footy boss after turfing Scott, Joyce and Carl that year.
Replaced with Amarfio, Rawlings and Shaw one has gone and then the president left earlier this year and it just feels like more change is coming.

The reality is Rawlings and Amarfio have overseen the worst run of results in AFL history for the club that has prompted drastic action backed by the new president and the only football club accredited board member in Anthony Stevens.

Noble might or might not be the problem, but hes coach and he might not be the only change we see after Walsh is done.

I would throw the kitchen sink at getting Eugene back.
For me the best people in the leading roles would be Sonja as president, Eugene back as CEO, keep Walsh as footy boss as McPherson is inexperienced, Clarko or a Yze/Burns as head coach and then a new captain maybe LDU or McKay.

Agree with most of your points but I can’t see Walsh having the appetite for a permanent role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Just because Noble is crap, it doesn’t make Scott any better.

In fact a lot of the list issues are problems created in the Scott era.

People forget very quickly that Scott claimed we needed to rebuild after he had proceeded to top up.

He was done at North and I would rather us attempt to find our next premiership coach, rather than go back to an time where we were never good enough to be a serious threat.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

People forget very quickly that Scott claimed we needed to rebuild after he had proceeded to top up.

He was done at North and I would rather us attempt to find our next premiership coach, rather than go back to an time where we were never good enough to be a serious threat.
Scott should have been sacked at end 2013.

That was our error.

Agree with most of your points but I can’t see Walsh having the appetite for a permanent role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Someone mentioned earlier that if we wanted to bring Jason mcartney back to Melbourne we could offer him the role.

He’d be an option. We just need a senior experienced person in both roles.
Having Noble and Rawlings with zero experience in the current roles just hasn’t worked and Amarfio doesn’t have the football acumen to be of much if any assistance.

I mean we went from having Walsh and Donald McDonald before him to the mess that was Joyce and sadly has continued with Brady. No more rookies.

You couldn't really see Euge taking the backwards step of returning to his old job at Arden Street could you?
We can dream. No other appointment has ever lived up to his standard and maybe after 10 years he could return?

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'll be honest I don't spend much time trying to decide which of the dog craps on my lawn are the worst.

Eggs11

All Australian
Jul 18, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just a shout out to people seeking an experienced replacement for Rawlings, Nobles, etc. I assume the ask is for a “highly capable” experienced replacement, not just any flog who’s managed to survive the industry (and we’ve had several of those over the past 20 years). It would be very difficult to lure a proven and experienced operator to North, given the diabolical state we are in. We can only throw so much money at candidates given the soft cap. Going down this path we are more likely to end up with an experienced discard like another Anthony Rocca or, at best, a lateral move like Nobles. The next alternative is to employ a ‘rising star’ and we’ve tried that before too - with Scotts, Rawlings, etc. At least for this type of candidate there is motivation for a highly capable operator to step up (career, remuneration, etc.). A third angle is to get the experience in on a part-time or consulting basis which is what we’re doing right now with Walsh and Roos.

There are no silver bullets here, but I’d argue that getting the best person is more important than getting the most experienced. More than anything it takes good judgement. It also takes good timing - getting all the pieces to line up at the same time and I daresay a fair amount of luck.

What I would also add is that getting someone like Clarkson or Walsh into the club (even if we can convince him to commit to 2 years) instantly improves the appeal of our club to anyone who might be considering a move.

So big tick for Walsh and offer my firstborn to Clarko (for the little value that’s worth). Whatever change needs to come next, starting there would actually give me hope that we can get this done.

king rising

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why's that? Was a notable leader at junior level. Is finding his feet and getting physically right at AFL level. Can turn momentum in games. Leads by example already. I don't see why he isn't exactly the sort of person that could be next captain? Happy for Jy to be too but LDU ticks more of the boxes.
I just don’t have the same enthusiasm for his game. I’d argue he is uninspiring. Doesn’t run both ways, and not the kind of bloke who’s going to rev up the troops vocally.

Jy was absolutely nailed on to be the next skipper, and might still be, but something has happened to him this season like it has with a lot of our players… though he’d still be my pick.

Absolutely playing like he's weighed down. He's even moving like he has concrete boots on.

For a few games this year my group has been able to sit behind the benches on the second level at Docklands.

Against GWS he had an absolutely horrid turnover kicking pack into the corridor. which he dragged himself for and sat on the bench for a while with a towel over his head.

While I largely do not buy in to the conversations about body language, it was pretty clear that he is hurting.

Right now at NMFC there is no joy in football for a lot of people.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Sweet Jesus! It's "Bye Bye Amarfios", "Bye Bye Nobles", another thread has Sonja Hood in its sights ... tell me, will there actually be anybody left at Arden Street if the BF forum has its way, or should we ask JHF to turn off the lights after training? :)

Last edited:
Sweet Jesus! It's "Bye Bye Amarfios", "Bye Bye Nobles", another thread has Sonja Hood in its sights ... tell me, will there actually be anybody left at Arden Street if the BF forum has its way, or should we ask JHF to turn off the lights after training?
I think it is purely a shotgun approach. Fire everyone and start again, which is simply not realistic.

Noble either needs to go, or have significant support around him on an ongoing basis (not from Hawaii).

Sonja needs to be given an opportunity to show what she can do. It's early days and she's made some good moves already in my view.

Amarfio is the interesting one. In an off-field capacity, I think he has done a great job in retaining sponsors and generally keeping us in a sound financial position. I suspect he will have to face some questions about structure and resourcing of the football department, and this could potentially lead to a separation of duties.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You mean he had better senior players?

Actual senior players!

Like Firitto? Petrie, Harvey, Swallow, Wells, Waite, Tarrant & Thommo.

Noble, as s**t as he is, has nothing of the sort.

It’s an outrageous comparison of Apples with Oranges.

LOL. keep that head firmly in the sand and blame it all on scotts.

We have plenty of high end talent that's been in the system for 4+ years. Mckay, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Stephenson. the fact of the matter is the older high end talent we had is now replaced with young high end talent, with some above average senior players.

But there is no chance that scott would've had 1 win and 50% with this team, not matter how much mental gymnastic you want to do.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

hindsight is 20/20. look at how much we over achieved in 2018, take a look at the list and demographic and it wasn't unreasonable to think that some outside speed and 1 "big fish" could bring us back into contention.

the scott era had access to late first round picks the whole time, it went from compromised drafts to Mcdonald, Durdin, Mckay and simkpin. he didn't develop second and third rounders well, i'm not saying he was perfect in the slightest.

but there isn't a chance he'd be this terrible, and during his era there weren't as many drastic and significant decisions, almost all of which have turned out to be the worst possible choices over and over again.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOL. keep that head firmly in the sand and blame it all on scotts.

We have plenty of high end talent that's been in the system for 4+ years. Mckay, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Stephenson. the fact of the matter is the older high end talent we had is now replaced with young high end talent, with some above average senior players.

But there is no chance that scott would've had 1 win and 50% with this team, not matter how much mental gymnastic you want to do.

I love a big call, but gee whiz mate.

Which of the 11 60point losses would the empty suitcase have been able to turn around?

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love a big call, but gee whiz mate.

Which of the 11 60point losses would the empty suitcase have been able to turn around?

a fair few i'd say. in his tenure i never saw the playing group ever this disinterested or questioned whether he had lost the players.

he may not have had a plan b and the team wasn't as consistent as it should've been (although the start of 2016 showed they were capable) but at least he hadn't lost the players and the players didn't throw in the towel. now we could be "competitive" up until halfway through the last quarter and still lose by 60 purely due to the team just flat out giving up.

CarnTheKANGAS

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I had a 10 min chat with Ben today and I was impressed. He was approachable, was happy to have a chat and genuinely disappointed with our current plight.
It was refreshing and encouraging to hear he was excited by learning what will come from the internal look at the club.
I enjoyed the chat.

Last edited:
Back