Bye Bye Amarfios

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Senior. Experienced. Proven.

Perhaps I should have clarified.

As Kingy says, we have consistently promoted people to roles that they are probably a little bit under qualified for. Nothing against either DMac or Brady, but we need a really strong senior and experienced GM of football, particularly if the football dept is taken out of Amarfio's responsibility.

Yes am glad you pointed this out. Kingy is a smart fella. And I am absolutely positive he doesn't say things for thing's sake, like plenty in the media do.

His first question to Ben was are you the right man for the job. That wasn't random. That was measured. Now he is saying we promote people above their current capabilities.

And if anyone cares to remember I said I'd heard 3/4 more to go. Now imagine if those words came out of Kingy's mouth.

I am not saying they did, just as I am not saying they didn't.

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For all the loose rumours about Clarko's opinion of Amarfio and that he allegedly wants Mark Brayshaw brought in to replace him, this comment from Gerard Whately seems relevant.

“I think it’s fair to interpret that he resents the assumptions being made about him, and he was really clear that he’s not picking the club, it can’t work like that, he will challenge the club to pick him if it gets to that stage, but he believes in alignment, and he specially mentioned the president and the chief executive, and the club has to believe in him and he has to believe in the club,” Whateley explained.

Whately had spoken with Clarkson at a function earlier in the day in which he denied the claims of a $1.6million payday among other things.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For all the loose rumours about Clarko's opinion of Amarfio and that he allegedly wants Mark Brayshaw brought in to replace him, this comment from Gerard Whately seems relevant.

“I think it’s fair to interpret that he resents the assumptions being made about him, and he was really clear that he’s not picking the club, it can’t work like that, he will challenge the club to pick him if it gets to that stage, but he believes in alignment, and he specially mentioned the president and the chief executive, and the club has to believe in him and he has to believe in the club,” Whateley explained.

Whately had spoken with Clarkson at a function earlier in the day in which he denied the claims of a $1.6million payday among other things.

After putting up with Kennett, I’m not surprised

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After putting up with Kennett, I’m not surprised

I think the interesting part is also Clarko acknowledging that it's not all about him choosing the club, that it can't work like that. I've felt ever since the Amarfio/Brayshaw rumour began that there's no way Clarkson would consider it appropriate for a coach to demand his choice of CEO and Sonja also said as much in her SEN interview this week.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the interesting part is also Clarko acknowledging that it's not all about him choosing the club, that it can't work like that. I've felt ever since the Amarfio/Brayshaw rumour began that there's no way Clarkson would consider it appropriate for a coach to demand his choice of CEO and Sonja also said as much in her SEN interview this week.
Maybe it was a challenge - if they roll Amarfio then he recognises the club as a bunch of desperites who'll bend any which-way. If they stay firm and keek Amarfio, he knows he has a strong willed leader and this will be proof that the club has the backbone he needs to see in order to make his decision to sign on.

Maybe it was a challenge - if they roll Amarfio then he recognises the club as a bunch of desperites who'll bend any which-way. If they stay firm and keek Amarfio, he knows he has a strong willed leader and this will be proof that the club has the backbone he needs to see in order to make his decision to sign on.
Well that seems to be what we are doing.

Apart from keeking Amarfios. I don't want to know about what that involves.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rad Roo was definitely a North supporter, and he wasn't a troll either. I'm pretty sure he talked about how he came to Australia as a child in the 90s and just fell in love with Carey.
Everything he said struck me as being sincerely held.
Complete wacko of course, and I probably agreed with about 5% if I'm being generous. People gave him a lot of s**t but he was largely unflappable, in fact he always felt like he'd "won" if they attacked him personally because they hadn't engaged with him on an intellectual level.
He could get tiresome eventually, but I had a lot more time for him than Saintly.
Rad Roo is a genuine elite poster IMO. Sure he's a bit of a different cat but I found his posts incredibly intriguing. Vive la difference......

guestroom

Draftee
Jul 13, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Do you REALLY think Clarkson is that stupid to coach North.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GW: Do they have some body in mind?

Sam Edmund: "Yes, yes they do. Someone who is in the industry at another club at the moment, they're invested in. Now I was given a name and that person has denied they have been approached"

Sam Edmund on SEN today saying fair chance Amarfio departs.

And the club already have a preferred new CEO lined up ! 😳
Sam's track record this week has been pretty average. I guess a broken clock is always right twice each day.....

North Melbourne CEO Ben Amarfio’s job at the club is “bordering on untenable”, according to SEN Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund.

Amarfio and the club in general has been in the spotlight all season following the parting of ways with former coach David Noble amid a 2022 campaign which so far has only seen two wins.

The club is currently dealing exclusively with four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson as it looks to land the coaching great as the successor to Noble, a process that is largely being spearheaded by President Sonja Hood.

Edmund is reporting that if Amarfio remains in the job once the club’s new coach is appointed, they will struggle to attract “high-end” football department figures.

“I’ve been told that Ben Amarfio’s position is bordering on untenable at the moment and that’s all intertwined with Alastiar Clarkson or whoever comes on as coach,” he said on SEN's Crunch Time.

“They will struggle to attract the high-end football department personnel while Ben (Amarfio) remains in that position.

“North Melbourne have some big announcements coming up, next week we think Mazada is going to re-sign with the club.

“There aren’t many football CEOs out there and North Melbourne are actively hunting in this space at the moment.

“I think Ben Amarfio might use this opportunity to say ‘I’ve done my bit and I’m off to pursue other opportunities’.”

Amarfio has been CEO at North Melbourne since late 2019, taking over from Carl Dilena who had previously held the role for nearly seven years.
President Sonja Hood confirmed earlier this year that Amarfio's job was secure for 2023.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting they are supposedly looking for someone at another club?

The smart money would have been on the club contacting Mark Brayshaw and making an attractive offer if Amarfio is getting punted?
didnt they say it was someone working at another club?
Is brayshaw working somewhere else?

Bloke who doesn’t know football, isn’t good at managing football club.

Who knew?
Stop this ******* fallacy.

He knows footy and sport in general.

He worked for the AFL and had a hand in negotiating a record media rights deal.

His whole career has been in sports management.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stop this ******* fallacy.

He knows footy and sport in general.

He worked for the AFL and had a hand in negotiating a record media rights deal.

His whole career has been in sports management.
BA knows sweet FA about running a football club - hence a major reason we find ourselves in the mess we are in.

It was a horrible appointment - just like Noble's - and now will be corrected.

This will allow us to run as an effective football club once again.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who appointed him?

Genuine question as he was never fit or qualified for the role he was given.
Horses for courses.

No one’s perfect. He certainly did some really positive things while he was at the club.

You don’t have to slag him off just because we’re going in another direction.

Back