Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Scott was to go, wouldn't we be better off looking at a coach from the "outside" with a fresh look instead of upgrading one of our assistants, who rightly or wrongly is part of the problem, in terms of what hasn't worked over the last year or two?
No. Organic growth. Tudor isn't a Scott-bot. He was brought in as an experienced assistant. He turned our midfield and transitions from slingshot/unaccountable to grinder that got us to a prelim. All in the space of one year. He played a massive part in that.

If Scott goes I'll be pissed off if it isn't Tudor taking charge. Tudor would be too and he'd be out the door.

If Scott was to go, wouldn't we be better off looking at a coach from the "outside" with a fresh look instead of upgrading one of our assistants, who rightly or wrongly is part of the problem, in terms of what hasn't worked over the last year or two?

Maybe, maybe not. I'd only entertain Tudor from internal, like GG pointed out he has a very impressive CV.

And if he were to get it, just like if an outsider did, I'd expect a full clean out of assistants to represent a fresh group.

100% Agree

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/16/is-scott-set-to-hop-north/

Is Scott set to hop north?
By SEN 35 minutes ago
GettyImages-671498408.jpg

The odds of North Melbourne coach Brad Scott heading north to take over from Rodney Eade at the Gold Coast Suns continue to shorten.

Scott, who is contracted until the end of 2018, has been the big firmer in the betting market since it opened and is now the firm favorite ahead of John Barker, Dean Solomon and Stewart Dew.

“With Sportsbet he started as a $51 chance according to the bookies to be the next Gold coast coach. He was then backed into $4 by the end of the day that the market opened,” Sam McClure explained on SEN Breakfast.

“Yesterday by midday he was into $2.50, and by the end of the day he was almost the unbackable favorite at $1.60.

“There has been $14,000 placed on this market, $7000 of this – half – has been placed on Brad Scott. This is after John Barker, who is the stoppage coach at Carlton, started as the hot favorite.”

McClure pointed out that as per AFL rules with markets such as this, you can only win up to $500.

Elsewhere, it is believed that Hawthorn list manager Graham Wright – who has previously been linked with a move to the Suns – will remain with the Hawks.
Not taking a side on Scotts, but for god's sake, this is one of the dumbest bits of non-news ever. I heard McClure jump in with it as his headline story on the radio this morning, and couldn't believe that was all he had.

Not taking a side on Scotts.

Agree about puff article.

Not that either "side" are right or wrong (at this stage at least), if pushed to choose would you rather a new coach to take us into the future, or back in Scott for another rebuild?

You rate Scott highly but wouldn't want one of his understudies?
IMO we need to get someone with new ideas - I would like a coach that has worked with Clarkson or Longmire.

Who was the last AFL coach that did not do an apprenticeship under a successful coach that went onto become a great coach?

Should read "No chance of getting Martin or Kelly if Scott goes"

Seriously how many players would come to a club without knowing who the coach is?

Didn't Tom Boyd go to the Bulldogs when they sacked Brendon Mccartney? They go more for the contract than the coach when it's those massive deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree about puff article.

Not that either "side" are right or wrong (at this stage at least), if pushed to choose would you rather a new coach to take us into the future, or back in Scott for another rebuild?
Right now, pushed or even not, I would only move him on if we know we can get someone better. Clarkson type better. Not super keen to punt on an untried coach just when we might have got the kinks out of this one. We've paid him to learn and he's shown plenty in my opinion over the journey, as well as plenty of room for improvement.

But you know me, whoever we have, Scott or not, will be a great choice and deserve 100% backing.

I ask myself what benefit do we as club get from just developing coaches, Brad now is one of the most experienced coaches going around he also has a fresh list so the message should not be stale, I would be extending his contract at the end of the year, results next year should not be a determining point for why he gets an extension, the way he has brought the young players along this year has impressed me and to be honest I did not think he had it in him. But if he doesn't want to stay (which I don't think is the case) I also don't think the club should stand in his way.

I ask myself what benefit do we as club get from just developing coaches, Brad now is one of the most experienced coaches going around he also has a fresh list so the message should not be stale, I would be extending his contract at the end of the year, results next year should not be a determining point for why he gets an extension, the way he has brought the young players along this year has impressed me and to be honest I did not think he had it in him. But if he doesn't want to stay (which I don't think is the case) I also don't think the club should stand in his way.

Sorry '96 but there's a lot of revisionism surrounding the Scoots narrative at the moment and I think your post is buying into that. Scott's is no better in his strengths as a coach as when he started and no worse in his weaknesses, after eight years he clearly is what he is and he ain't our next premiership coach :(

Sorry '96 but there's a lot of revisionism surrounding the Scoots narrative at the moment and I think your post is buying into that. Scott's is no better in his strengths as a coach as when he started and no worse in his weaknesses, after eight years he clearly is what he is and he ain't our next premiership coach :(

you may be right Dan, but he may be a very good Schimma with the list that is being built.

Yes I fail to understand this angle that we might miss out on recruits if we don't have Scott in charge.

If anything it could be the opposite if we do hire someone else and sell a fresh start etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back