Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is expecting North to do anything next year.
And that's just the way we like it.

I was thinking this only last week and dreaming of a 93 type year, 93 will always be the most fun I had at the footy, crushed at the start of the season to miss out on second spot because Kernahan could no kick a point to break the draw.

You need to be more than a decent bloke though. Needs to work on his match day coaching IMO. And develop a better game plan. Some astute recruiting will hopefully help this
Said all that myself, just noting that he will do what's best for the club, he comes across as a decent and honest person underneath all the media spin.
No doubt his biggest weakness is gameday. Oh and team selection.

Last edited:

What else could a coach appearing on a football show possibly be, other than a public relations exercise?
Damage control exercise.

Things he needs to do in 2017:

- Drop anyone to the VFL if they are not in good form. This tactic has been used since the start of footy brad, enough of this cuddly bull****. The standard has never been set since day one and no other coach does this

- Take some more risks game time. Develop players into different roles or give them the confidence too. Change the magnets

- Bit more ruthless with the players games and reviews. Don't give them a pat on the back for getting 6 possessions just because you're a "players coach" (coincides with first one)

- Leadership will flourish if the first one is followed

Pretty Simple. He's tried the same things over and over. Hope he doesn't do the same things with this reset otherwise nothing will ever change for north

Things he needs to do in 2017:

- Drop anyone to the VFL if they are not in good form. This tactic has been used since the start of footy brad, enough of this cuddly bull****. The standard has never been set since day one and no other coach does this

- Take some more risks game time. Develop players into different roles or give them the confidence too. Change the magnets

- Bit more ruthless with the players games and reviews. Don't give them a pat on the back for getting 6 possessions just because you're a "players coach" (coincides with first one)

- Leadership will flourish if the first one is followed

Pretty Simple. He's tried the same things over and over. Hope he doesn't do the same things with this reset otherwise nothing will ever change for north

I get the strong impression that he realises that he's been making these errors and the 're-set' will incorporate a change in policy here. It two fundamental things he's been doing badly, and both have the same root cause - he wants to back the players to come good and atone when they've been no good.

It hasn't worked, so 1. swing the axe freely, without fear or favour, and 2. throw the players around the ground when we're getting done - hell, even drag them for a few minutes if they f*** up and give them an earful on the phone. Don't be so wed to sports-science driven rotations that it doesn't allow you to drag players who need to be given a strong message (you have to cope with injuries, so you can easily incorporate a 'drag him' policy).

Again, my impression is that he appreciates this and it will change for the better next year.

But as a man wiser than me once said, time will tell.

On reflection I think Scotts inherited a leadership group that was a bunch of great players but not great leaders. I compare it to St Kilda when they had Harvey, Burke, Loewe (and Lockett) as their senior players. No doubt great players but at best an ineffective, at worst toxic, leadership group. It was no coincidence IMO that they all retired before St Kilda made another GF appearance (after 1997).

When he joined North Scotts either decided to back in the players (most likely) or felt compelled not to turn over senior players of the ilk that have just moved on.

There are power dynamics in every organisation and I think we had an unhealthy balance towards senior players. That was evident by the fact that the ‘delistings’ wasn’t announced until the end of the year (which it should have been). They were also times they should have been dropped.

It will be interesting to see a) how Scotts further prunes the list in the off-season, and b) how the dynamics change within the group over the next 12 months.

Humans are essentially pack animals who form pecking orders, and we’ve just removed some of the alphas from the pack (this is probably amplified even more given we’re talking about young men with lots of testosterone). IMO Scotts needs to assert himself more during this transition period. It’s not to say that he shouldn’t be a supportive “player-led” coach but we need to weed out the (leadership) weaknesses that have been inherent in our senior players during his tenure as coach. That means both changes in personnel and changes in his coaching style.

The more aggressive we are with list management, the more confident I am in having him continue as coach. :stern look
This might be the chance for JZ, JMac, Taz and co to make it their side, something they probably didn't feel entirely comfortable doing with the presence of club champions in the team.

I get the strong impression that he realises that he's been making these errors and the 're-set' will incorporate a change in policy here. It two fundamental things he's been doing badly, and both have the same root cause - he wants to back the players to come good and atone when they've been no good.

It hasn't worked, so 1. swing the axe freely, without fear or favour, and 2. throw the players around the ground when we're getting done - hell, even drag them for a few minutes if they f*** up and give them an earful on the phone. Don't be so wed to sports-science driven rotations that it doesn't allow you to drag players who need to be given a strong message (you have to cope with injuries, so you can easily incorporate a 'drag him' policy).

Again, my impression is that he appreciates this and it will change for the better next year.

But as a man wiser than me once said, time will tell.

I've thought a few times over the years that we have had an unhealthy gamblers mentality at times. Too much betting on our "luck" turning (in this case form / overcoming an injury) rather than trying something else. Backing your players is one thing - but you can't throw good money after bad and keep betting on Black (no pun intended) and hoping that your luck will turn.

This is a sport, not a game of chance. Form is transient and some players / positions provide structural benefits - but someone like Petrie this year for instance. I think we would have been better served restructuring 3 months ago and putting in more runners even if they were raw and / or not as good on paper as we would like. We are so fixated on not changing certain key pillars of our structure then we expect the roleplayers to come in around this and have a massive impact. Guys like Ray coming in were expected to carry a midfield that can't run and a forward line that was struggling to take a mark. That's pretty unfair of a rookie listed role player.

This might be the chance for JZ, JMac, Taz and co to make it their side, something they probably didn't feel entirely comfortable doing with the presence of club champions in the team.
i believe in this theory. my main reason in believing BS was part of the problem due to the enormous respect he has for the senior players, who are now retired.
I hope BS evolves and becomes the solution.
I cut him slack because he started his coaching senior career at 33. only slightly older then Boomer.
It was the boards decision to stick with him and his philosophy. BS had the best intentions, unfortunately the board took the gamble on him, and rightly stuck by him and his mistakes, knowing all too well that you cant crucify a coach for his learning development particularly for a lack off experience.
Unfortunately its at the expense of our clubs medium term success.
hope he learns. We supporters are impatient. The question is how much patience are we supposed have?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i believe in this theory. my main reason in believing BS was part of the problem due to the enormous respect he has for the senior players, who are now retired.
I cut him slack because he started his coaching senior career at 33. only slightly older then Boomer.
It was the boards decision to stick with him and his philosophy. BS had the best intentions, unfortunately the board took the gamble on him, and rightly stuck by him and his mistakes, knowing all too well that you cant crucify a coach for his learning development particularly for a lack off experience.
hope he learns. We supporters are impatient. The question is how much patience are we supposed have?
Agree, I have mentioned before that it is more difficult to coach your peers, especially those whose credentials surpass yours.

I agree with all the above and also think Brad has been given a second chance that not many coaches get. It will be really interesting to see how he is judged in the next two years seeing that a flag is out of the question. I know that coaches are paid to win flags, but sometimes they are not allowed to learn from their mistakes. Stan Alves always springs to mind. Grand final one year, sacked the next.

How many people think Carlton will win the flag in the next five years? Not many I'll bet. So a guy who people are creaming themselves over as the next big thing (Bolton ) will probably have his career ended without having a real shot at it.
But as RF says, how much patience are we supposed to have? Back a coach like Brad and be accused of accepting mediocrity, or get on the merry-go-round and loose your identity and direction.

I agree with all the above and also think Brad has been given a second chance that not many coaches get. It will be really interesting to see how he is judged in the next two years seeing that a flag is out of the question. I know that coaches are paid to win flags, but sometimes they are not allowed to learn from their mistakes. Stan Alves always springs to mind. Grand final one year, sacked the next.

How many people think Carlton will win the flag in the next five years? Not many I'll bet. So a guy who people are creaming themselves over as the next big thing (Bolton ) will probably have his career ended without having a real shot at it.
But as RF says, how much patience are we supposed to have? Back a coach like Brad and be accused of accepting mediocrity, or get on the merry-go-round and loose your identity and direction.

The Purple Wiggle has managed to unite, and make an average team perform greater and ahead of expectations.
He is not afraid to make bold moves on the field, and prepared to make players earn there spots on the field.
Player management is big thing with the Purple Wiggle, and BS being a sports scientist should be more inclined to be involved with his players, and not play them because they have potential to be a good player.
Play well and you will feature in the team.
Play a poor game and the VFL will be your practice field.
Simple but an effective team strategy.

Brad Scott is loyal and won’t turn his back on North Melbourne, writes Mark Robinson
951361b3b5a04d27f4a68565fcdaea69

MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
September 20, 2016 7:30pm

BRAD Scott’s sense of loyalty would always stop him from jumping ship at the Kangaroos and being a contender for the Brisbane coaching job.

But that’s not to say he won’t coach the Lions.

The ball is North Melbourne’s court.

If they sack Scott, who has two years to run on his coaching contract, then, yes, Scott would be a late candidate for the role many believe already has Chris Fagan’s name on it.

If the Kangas don’t move on Scott, then Scott won’t be moving on them.

Loyalty has always been a Scott trademark: To family, friends and employers.

His long-time great mate, Stephen Powell, the former St Kilda player, said he had read and listened to the commentary on Scott to Brisbane and described it as “garbage’’.

“You’re 100 per cent right — he is loyal, and I don’t know if I have any stories for you,’’ Powell said.

“But it’s absolute garbage about Brisbane. He is a North Melbourne person, he’s got a contract, why would he envisage going up to Brisbane? It’s just garbage.’’

Powell was confident despite not even having spoken to Scott.

“I’ve not asked him about it, not had one conversation, but I’d sell my house if he went,’’ he said.

The Lions, who are interviewing coaching candidates this week, had not planned to speak to Scott.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann should remember Scott’s loyalty anyhow.

At the end of 2006, when Scott retired after 146 games with the Lions, which included the 2001 and 2002 premierships, Scott was interviewed by Collingwood for an assistant coaching role.

Swann was chief executive at the Pies then and Scott had agreed to join the club, but did not immediately sign a contract.

Graeme Allan — then general manager of football at Brisbane — heard of Collingwood’s interest and offered Scott a similar role with more money to stay at the Lions.

Scott told Allan no, he had already given his word to Swann.

It’s a story Swann has not forgotten.

Such is the conjecture around Scott, 40, joining Brisbane that Wikipedia already has updated is profile on Scott to include: “It is likely Brad Scott will leave the North Melbourne Football Club to coach the Brisbane Lions in 2017.’’

It’s all news to Scott.

“I’ve always been fully committed to North Melbourne,” he said on Channel 7 on Monday night.

“I’ve been at the club for a fair period of time now. I’ve invested enormously in the club and they in me as a young, 33-year-old coach at the time.

“I’m contracted for a further two years and I’ve always maintained I’ll do the best thing for North Melbourne and while they think that’s me, then that’s where I’ll be.”

By the way, Fagan was wound into $1.70 on betting markets on Tuesday.

Posted this is the mark williams thread but may get missed. I think there needs to be some changes to the assistant coach/development setup.

Remove: Green, Drummond & Moore.

Add: Blake Caracella, Simon Black, Matthew Nicks & Mick Malthouse.

Setup would look like:
Brad Scott (senior coach)
Darren Crocker (senior assistant coach)
Leigh Tudor (midfield coach)
Simon Black (stoppages and midfield coach)
Blake Caracella (forward coach)
Alex Ishchenko (ruck coach)
Matthew Nicks (defence coach)
Cam Joyce (Director of coaching)
Gavin Brown & Mick Malthouse (senior development manager)
Ben Dyer (development coach)
David Loader (development coach)

Thoughts?

Brad Scott is loyal and won’t turn his back on North Melbourne, writes Mark Robinson

MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
September 20, 2016 7:30pm

BRAD Scott’s sense of loyalty would always stop him from jumping ship at the Kangaroos and being a contender for the Brisbane coaching job.

But that’s not to say he won’t coach the Lions.

The ball is North Melbourne’s court.

If they sack Scott, who has two years to run on his coaching contract, then, yes, Scott would be a late candidate for the role many believe already has Chris Fagan’s name on it.

If the Kangas don’t move on Scott, then Scott won’t be moving on them.

Loyalty has always been a Scott trademark: To family, friends and employers.

His long-time great mate, Stephen Powell, the former St Kilda player, said he had read and listened to the commentary on Scott to Brisbane and described it as “garbage’’.

“You’re 100 per cent right — he is loyal, and I don’t know if I have any stories for you,’’ Powell said.

“But it’s absolute garbage about Brisbane. He is a North Melbourne person, he’s got a contract, why would he envisage going up to Brisbane? It’s just garbage.’’

Powell was confident despite not even having spoken to Scott.

“I’ve not asked him about it, not had one conversation, but I’d sell my house if he went,’’ he said.

The Lions, who are interviewing coaching candidates this week, had not planned to speak to Scott.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann should remember Scott’s loyalty anyhow.

At the end of 2006, when Scott retired after 146 games with the Lions, which included the 2001 and 2002 premierships, Scott was interviewed by Collingwood for an assistant coaching role.

Swann was chief executive at the Pies then and Scott had agreed to join the club, but did not immediately sign a contract.

Graeme Allan — then general manager of football at Brisbane — heard of Collingwood’s interest and offered Scott a similar role with more money to stay at the Lions.

Scott told Allan no, he had already given his word to Swann.

It’s a story Swann has not forgotten.

Such is the conjecture around Scott, 40, joining Brisbane that Wikipedia already has updated is profile on Scott to include: “It is likely Brad Scott will leave the North Melbourne Football Club to coach the Brisbane Lions in 2017.’’

It’s all news to Scott.

“I’ve always been fully committed to North Melbourne,” he said on Channel 7 on Monday night.

“I’ve been at the club for a fair period of time now. I’ve invested enormously in the club and they in me as a young, 33-year-old coach at the time.

“I’m contracted for a further two years and I’ve always maintained I’ll do the best thing for North Melbourne and while they think that’s me, then that’s where I’ll be.”

By the way, Fagan was wound into $1.70 on betting markets on Tuesday.

Nekminit

I thought everything was perfect and Brad was a genius after 9 rounds.

Our capitulation in the 2nd half has undone all the credits of the first half.

Hopefully our on-field looks cohesive in 17, win or lose.

We need a clear vision going into next year, no mangled mess where we are all angry by Rd 2 with Zac Clarke getting a game ahead of McKay.

Brad deserves the first year of the reset. If it resembles the soul-less second half of 2016 then it can't be put down to youth. He will have to go before his contract ends.

Key words While they think that's me that's where I'll be. Question how long will they think he is the man?? Answer at least 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back