Play Nice Bye bye Brad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say as soon as brad came back from surgery he finally made some hard calls

Ziebel - had so many games were he looked flat and played awful. Hasn't played VFL ever? Correct me if I'm wrong. Dumont was knocking down the door

Gibson - I don't really have to go through this but I don't think we have anyone to replace him apart from maybe Wood. The amount of times he fluffs the ball is urgh

Scooter - had some terrible games and could have given a chance to maybe tippet

Cunnington - at times definitely looked uninterested and had some low games, didn't really explode but he could get 2 possessions for weeks and he would still get a game

Other veterans can play however they want and they know for a fact they will never lose their spot

I should have rephrased my post as I hope he "continues" his ruthless attitude in 2016 haha :)

Drop Ziebell, Cunners and Thompson? Cunners came 2nd in our B&F. All 3 are so far in front of anything we have in the two's its not funny. I am more than happy for all of these 3 to play themselves into form. They have the runs on the board. Hodge, Lewis and Burgorne don't get dropped when out of form.

Gibson destroyed Ellis and Jetta in the finals - he may butcher the ball but his role in our finals was massive. What he does do is continue to run and present at the end of games. We have no one like him and he will be big in 2016 shutting down the best wingmen in the comp.

Dumont needs time, Tippett is back up only.

Drop Ziebell, Cunners and Thompson? Cunners came 2nd in our B&F. All 3 are so far in front of anything we have in the two's its not funny. I am more than happy for all of these 3 to play themselves into form. They have the runs on the board. Hodge, Lewis and Burgorne don't get dropped when out of form.

Gibson destroyed Ellis and Jetta in the finals - he may butcher the ball but his role in our finals was massive. What he does do is continue to run and present at the end of games. We have no one like him and he will be big in 2016 shutting down the best wingmen in the comp.

Dumont needs time, Tippett is back up only.

Maybe we don't have the luxury to set the standards but at least Brad did drop basti, Atley and McDonald etc as I think they got gifted games

Jetta was in awful form anyways so that wasn't really a shut down at all. The amount of times he contributed to losing games was woeful. I agree he has a tank though!

you missed the fact that Gibsons kicking isn't bad. The amount of times he fluffs the ball is less than others...considering the amount of ball he gets. Gibbo's a bloody good player. What has changed is Brad is making him more accountable, and he's now more important to us than ever before (Gibbo that is, Not Brad!).

202-Ghostbusters-quotes.gif
giphy.gif

Maybe we don't have the luxury to set the standards but at least Brad did drop basti, Atley and McDonald etc as I think they got gifted games

Jetta was in awful form anyways so that wasn't really a shut down at all. The amount of times he contributed to losing games was woeful. I agree he has a tank though!

Gaff had his lowest possession count for 2015 V Gibson. Even if Jetta was out of form Gaff was amazing in 2015 and got well beaten by Gibson.

The 3 you named I have no issue with them being droppped. Cunners and Ziebell and crucial.

you missed the fact that Gibsons kicking isn't bad. The amount of times he fluffs the ball is less than others...considering the amount of ball he gets. Gibbo's a bloody good player. What has changed is Brad is making him more accountable, and he's now more important to us than ever before (Gibbo that is, Not Brad!).

I thought you slipped up KT - good get out at the end!!!

I think he and Jacobs will be huge next year, Jacobs to take the best inside mid and Gibson the out side runner. 2 area's we have always struggled. Good to see Brad think outside the box and reinvent 2 players. Sign of a good coach??

I think he and Jacobs will be huge next year, Jacobs to take the best inside mid and Gibson the out side runner. 2 area's we have always struggled. Good to see Brad think outside the box and reinvent 2 players. Sign of a good coach??

Good to see that you two have kissed and made up :thumbsu:

Gibson? Huge in the finals.
Jacobs? Massive in the finals.

So who are the others that should have been dropped? The above 2 get a fair run in the "playing favourites". Looks like persisting with them and getting games into them worked.

Who else should have been dropped? And who should have come in.

Big footy - where the couch potatoes know more the selection committee.
Thanks for going down the strawman path as per usual. One name who finally got demoted now plays for Brisbane. Scott was much harder after his back surgery and it showed in the efforts...though from memory you were satisfied with the Collingwood game so there was no need for him to change..

Jacobs wouldn't have been given a run with role if it wasn't for Crock's and Tudor.

Jacobs wouldn't have been given a run with role if it wasn't for Crock's and Tudor.
Brad could've ignored it and sent Jacobs back to the fringe bin.

But let's ignore that to push the same argument ...

A fog as thick as Silent Hill 2.

Ben's problem was always getting caught out of possition and making wrong decisions. It was obvious from day one. Playing a run with role was is last chance, and credit it to him for doing it so well. Gibbo does what Gibbo does. He should have been made more accountable long before he was. If he keeps getting side 50's and the odd goal he will be bigger than huge for us!

And I'm pretty sure these changes were implemented when Scotts was having time off!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben's problem was always getting caught out of possition and making wrong decisions. It was obvious from day one. Playing a run with role was is last chance, and credit it to him for doing it so well. Gibbo does what Gibbo does. He should have been made more accountable long before he was. If he keeps getting side 50's and the odd goal he will be bigger than huge for us!

And I'm pretty sure these changes were implemented when Scotts was having time off!

Jacobs tagger role, yes - happened when Scott was away.

Gibson's 'structure' role hasn't changed since his first game and he hasn't been dropped since. But for most of this season, his negatives outweighed his positives. Came good in the end, back to 2014 form. However, he should have been dropped mid-season when he was crap (any time between about round 6 and round 18).

Jacobs tagger role, yes - happened when Scott was away.

Gibson's 'structure' role hasn't changed since his first game and he hasn't been dropped since. But for most of this season, his negatives outweighed his positives. Came good in the end, back to 2014 form. However, he should have been dropped mid-season when he was crap (any time between about round 6 and round 18).
With Gibbo, I think his positives outweighed his negatives.

Now I'm no Gibbo basher, but ...

While I agree with you that many on here overstate the damage his disposal does, and he's normally fine when he keeps it simple, he's far from damaging.

In fact the 2015 Prospectus singles him out as being in the very bottom few of ranking points per 30 possessions, suggesting that he doesn't often pull off (or even attempt) ambitious or damaging kicks. OTOH, his ability to get on his bike and follow up to the next contest helps maintain numerical advantages in continuous play and he does have a knack for making and finding space when everyone else is knackered. I suspect CD don't have, or at least publish, the tools for measuring those sorts of contributions.

His importance in that accountable role in finals can't be understated though :thumbsu:

Now I'm no Gibbo basher, but ...

While I agree with you that many on here overstate the damage his disposal does, and he's normally fine when he keeps it simple, he's far from damaging.

In fact the 2015 Prospectus singles him out as being in the very bottom few of ranking points per 30 possessions, suggesting that he doesn't often pull off (or even attempt) ambitious or damaging kicks. OTOH, his ability to get on his bike and follow up to the next contest helps maintain numerical advantages in continuous play and he does have a knack for making and finding space when everyone else is knackered. I suspect CD don't have, or at least publish, the tools for measuring those sorts of contributions.

His importance in that accountable role in finals can't be understated though :thumbsu:
per 30 possession games? Can you post the stats?

Sorry if it's a bit blurry - screen cap.
prospectus-2015-disposals.png

This is why stats are so often abused.

They're a selective measure used to try and measure performance but in isolation can be very misleading.

The table you posted is very interesting as it supports the notion that sometimes our eyes tell us there's more going on than is currently being measured.

But I doubt many of us needed a table of cross-referenced stats to tell us Brent Harvey is a very damaging player and Sam Gibson on average is not.

Gibson may not get as many errors per 30 as some are expecting but the issue he has is he has a tendency to * up royally with little to no pressure on him. I.e will kick it OOtF when he has metres of space around him.

Has been far better since being given a "job" each game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back