Bye Bye Nobles

Remove this Banner Ad

Devington

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best of luck Mr Nobles. You have 10 games to go this season. I expect 4 more wins will see you coaching again in 2023. However, just being very competitive in all 10 games + 2 wins might suffice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
With the fixture we have that's achievable. I'm still firmly wanting to see what we can do in the back half of the year, in large parts because I think the fixture we got was unbalanced bullshit that heavily impinged our ability to gain any momentum whatsoever. We need to treat the second half of the year as a fresh start tbh.

However I also want to add that it didn't help that we went into game one with all 3 rucks because we wanted to see if that could work for us, and I worry the gameplan in general and certain other positions specifically were being tested early too, and that's a black mark against Noble's name. More competitive matchups would have undoubtedly given us better feedback on things but you can't start a season with so many question marks.

tazaa

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just saying what I was told this arvo - Noble and club are talking about an exit strategy. Timing, money. Reasonable contact.
Can confirm this is on par with what I was told a couple of weeks ago.
There’s nothing locked in but the sticking point seems to be how to manage a potential exit and the consequential payout.
The soft cap being maxed out is highly problematic. As is not having an obvious care taker and replacement lined up.

My opinion is though that the club is hoping and praying as much as anything that there is some sort of uplift in form after the bye. Wouldn’t it be great if Noble could show he can coach and that he can get a response out of players and grab a few wins.

Yoko and me

All Australian
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I completely agree with your post, and a very reasonable reply and I appreciate it.

I guess the key difference is we all know how terrible we have been, maybe it's the line each person has to where how "terrible is too terrible" (not a great use of words I know)

Some will be more lenient than others and look at my posting history on Noble - I was very much supportive of him going into next year, however my position has dramatically changed and with what i've seen I am no longer have any faith him mi moving forward.

He has some more time to turn things around, but i'd strongly suggest he has to do it very quickly going by recent statements made concerning his position.

Cheers. MLC
No one is looking at your past posting you fool. Get some self-awareness. You have no backbone and a streak that should lead to you seeking to improve yourself. You don't have time to waste here and your commentary is ill-informed and barely literate. I only presume you wagged sense of humour.

(Apologies if you are pretending to be an adult and are just acting out at your parents divorce and are really twelve)

Guards!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Psicosis

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Might give himself a chance to save his job if he starts coaching to win, rather then limit the bleeding.

I empathize with the lack of personnel, however all year we have lost to what we know.

• Allowing the outnumber in our F50, meaning that when we get the ball forward it gets spat right back out, never giving our forwards a chance
  • Exiting our D50 through kicking to contests, resulting in turn overs more often then not
  • Persisting with our poorer ball users behind the ball
  • Poor opposition planning, allowing their most influential players to run around freely

I'm not silly enough to imply that solving these will be the end of all our issues. However, I believe they would make us far more competitive. Some/if not all could be addressed fairly quickly, yet they haven't.

He needs to get out of his stubbornness if he wants to save his job IMO.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he really wants to coach and take this club out of the rebuild, he has to coach to win by any means necessary. Start playing to win games, you don't even HAVE to win, just don't get belted by 40+ and win at least 1-2 games from the backend of this season.

If Nobes can't even accomplish that, we're not about to wait a whole other season just to find out if he can coach, this rebuild has been going on since 2016 and hasn't been taken seriously until recently. The club needs to stop being under this illusion that this is supposed to be some long arduous road just because Melbourne & Carlton came good eventually, which im sick of that excuse being trotted out to justify our current position. Those clubs were basket cases run by poor management, a complacent and ignorant board and a coach out of their depths. A good club turns things around to being competitive again in 1-3 years. The Dogs do it, Collingwood does it, Brisbane does it etc.

Start being competitive again North.

the Ziebull

Hall of Famer
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There’s nothing locked in but the sticking point seems to be how to manage a potential exit and the consequential payout.
The soft cap being maxed out is highly problematic. As is not having an obvious care taker and replacement lined up.

My opinion is though that the club is hoping and praying as much as anything that there is some sort of uplift in form after the bye. Wouldn’t it be great if Noble could show he can coach and that he can get a response out of players and grab a few wins.
There is no payout? He’s out of contract

The money he would be paid this year would have already been factored in

shintemaster

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2002
Ponderama
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I can see why no call was the call to date.

Tough first half of the year, easier 2nd half on paper. We win / show enough the pressure to change this year might ease.
Rolling contract with Noble means we can simply advise we are not renewing him towards the end of the year if that's the position we are in and avoid a whole lot of bad PR and look like the good guys plus forward thinking.

If he really wants to coach and take this club out of the rebuild, he has to coach to win by any means necessary. Start playing to win games, you don't even HAVE to win, just don't get belted by 40+ and win at least 1-2 games from the backend of this season.

If Nobes can't even accomplish that, we're not about to wait a whole other season just to find out if he can coach, this rebuild has been going on since 2016 and hasn't been taken seriously until recently. The club needs to stop being under this illusion that this is supposed to be some long arduous road just because Melbourne & Carlton came good eventually, which im sick of that excuse being trotted out to justify our current position. Those clubs were basket cases run by poor management, a complacent and ignorant board and a coach out of their depths. A good club turns things around to being competitive again in 1-3 years. The Dogs do it, Collingwood does it, Brisbane does it etc.

Agree. The idea that taking our licks will magically lead to the desired results is flawed - losing badly might be part a pathway towards better things, but it doesn't mean it is a guarantee of better things either.

Psicosis

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It's hard to argue that they have coached to win in any game this year outside of the Sydney & the first half of the Hawthorn game.

Everything else has been limiting the opposition damage.

Makeshift Park

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How can the softcap be maxxed out when we've just had three blokes from recruitment resign?

Is the idea that we aren't actually maxxed out, but we need to preserve the recruitment budget for replacements to Luff et al?

Remove this Banner Ad