Bye Bye Nobles

Remove this Banner Ad

Some miscellaneous thoughts.

If Noble telling Goldstein he's 3rd banana is true, while I don't agree with it, it's still worth recognising he would've been setting things up for the future of the club. I'd be more judgemental about why it took him all of 1 senior game to soil himself about this supposed future setup and drop CCJ.

Again, have said previously I'd have played Goldstein as #1 ruck the whole time and let the others sort themselves out. Neither had done that much compelling to take his spot. Fwiw I'd give Goldstein a 2+ year deal right now. He was/is entering Boomer territory for being prematurely consigned to the NM scrapheap based on his birth certificate.

I'm curious about now the point Rick18 raised in his post-Noble article - what exactly happened over the 2021-22 offseason to change things so much?

I refuse to put it down to just missing Ben Cunnington. Something shifted dramatically to move from a fairly positive latter 2021 to a total balls-up in 2022. In the interest of couch coach learning, I'd be curious how this occurred.

We started the season with positive sentiment. People were actually very unrealistic in declaring Hawthorn's imminent demise and our sudden rise. Nobody saw any of this coming preseason on here.
I suspect that something did happen within the four walls that started the rot. Whether it was just one thing (such as some bizarre spray post Brisbane game) or a combination of things (more likely), I have no idea. But at some point he clearly lost the majority of the playing group, and from there we weren't a chance any of the games. Would love to find out what it was.

If you think back to the Melbourne practise match Nobes apparently went right off at the players after that performance.

I thought we did ok in the context of the players we had out and Melbourne being the benchmark side and was surprised to see he vented.

So presumably Nobes got caught out by his high expectations of the group (and I assume drinking too much of his own bathwater ) - because as soon as we had to kick the ball in anger it all went pear shaped - slowly but surely.

I recall the same in 2021 - alot of talk about us climbing up the ladder during pre season - Nobes on media street every day.

As soon as the practise matches started we were slaughtered and he went quiet.

In the end it looks like a combination of his own coaching 'style', selection policies and game plan managed to piss off alot of younger players and a certain section of the older players. Because he had no coaching pedigree to fall back on the pile on started and could only end in one outcome.

The key for the club is to ensure that doesn't happen again.

If you think back to the Melbourne practise match Nobes apparently went right off at the players after that performance.

I thought we did ok in the context of the players we had out and Melbourne being the benchmark side and was surprised to see he vented.

So presumably Nobes got caught out by his high expectations of the group (and I assume drinking too much of his own bathwater ) - because as soon as we had to kick the ball in anger it all went pear shaped - slowly but surely.

I recall the same in 2021 - alot of talk about us climbing up the ladder during pre season - Nobes on media street every day.

As soon as the practise matches started we were slaughtered and he went quiet.

In the end it looks like a combination of his own coaching 'style', selection policies and game plan managed to piss off alot of younger players and a certain section of the older players. Because he had no coaching pedigree to fall back on the pile on started and could only end in one outcome.

The key for the club is to ensure that doesn't happen again.

As much as I would love to blame it all on Noble, every week we just coughed up 5-10 goals through just ultra basic execution and decision making that any half reasonable side doesn't do. If a side is 2-5 goals better than you and you give them an extra 5-10 goals through just amateur hour errors, the end result is not going to look good.

Richmond should have beaten us last week, they really only needed to be a bit cleaner at goal and they would have had a comfortable win, but we had a crack and we didn't make the volume of *ups we have all year. It was a more reasonable effort given the talent we have and those that are missing.

It was that effort that has been lacking. We've been here before, towards the end of Scott and early Shaw. Second half of last year under Noble. We seem to invite the pressure and scrutiny because our standards drop to unacceptable levels.

Not sure if it's been said or not but... I find it very interesting how the players claim to have loved Noble yet I've noticed something interesting.

Remember when it was reported the players didn't like the complexity of the game plan Noble wanted to implement and wanted something simpler?

In both LDU and Larkey's interviews on Sunday they said that during the week they worked on a game plan that would be more simple as something they desired.
The feedback Walsh got was that they didn't love him (maybe some did but most didn't), nor did many others in the club and Walsh's feedback to the board was that independent of any other findings David needed to go and don't wait until I have finished my review as this needed to be done yesterday.

The feedback Walsh got was that they didn't love him (maybe some did but most didn't), nor did many others in the club and Walsh's feedback to the board was that independent of any other findings David needed to go and don't wait until I have finished my review as this needed to be done yesterday.
Is this real?
Is it from a source?
I’d wait till we find out a lot more about the review before we talk about the findings.

I'd nominate Ben McKay as the third player who would leave. When he extended to the end of 2023 last year, his brother also extended to the same date, if I am not mistaken. That has troubled me ever since because I can see a big push for the brothers to unite at the one club. We should be trying to get Harry to us.

Make it happen Euge.
I was told recently that Ben is very likely to head to Collingwood at the end of his contract. Would obviously be pushing very hard to keep him.

I was told recently that Ben is very likely to head to Collingwood at the end of his contract. Would obviously be pushing very hard to keep him.
They couldn't get that trade done even if they could fit him in their cap. He would cost two top 10 picks plus a quality player, the way he's developing.

It is what I have been told by someone who would definitely know.

Given what the club have said about the decision (i.e. mutual parting) it wouldn't shock if it didn't make the report.
Patch slipping "sacked coach" speaking about Noble confirmed what we'd have suspected.

I'd hope Walsh would have more data than just some people not liking Noble to finish him up fwiw.

Patch slipping "sacked coach" speaking about Noble confirmed what we'd have suspected.

I'd hope Walsh would have more data than just some people not liking Noble to finish him up fwiw.
I've repeated what I was told in a 90 second conversation so no doubt there was more but a breakdown with most of the staff including the players is a pretty strong starting point.

Wasn't told this but wouldn't shock to find out that this was happening regardless of Walsh's findings, the performances alone have meant his position was untenable IMO, regardless of relationships.

They couldn't get that trade done even if they could fit him in their cap. He would cost two top 10 picks plus a quality player, the way he's developing.
Will be mighty interesting to see what they do this trade period. It really bummed me out when I was told but obviously we have time and leverage on our side. We need to get a lot right but it sucks if he is looking around elsewhere.

I've repeated what I was told in a 90 second conversation so no doubt there was more but a breakdown with most of the staff including the players is a pretty strong starting point.

Wasn't told this but wouldn't shock to find out that this was happening regardless of Walsh's findings, the performances alone have meant his position was untenable IMO, regardless of relationships.
Agree the football metrics alone might've been enough rope.

Sonja expressed it in one of the interviews as something like "We heard from Geoff that we weren't going to learn anything to change our mind"... so we went ahead with the 'mutual decision". Some version of that sounds pretty likely and reasonable: They had basically come to the conclusion that he had to go, but by hearing from Walsh first they had some independent input and effectively weren't pre-empting the review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiction.

It is what I have been told by someone who would definitely know.

Given what the club have said about the decision (i.e. mutual parting) it wouldn't shock if it didn't make the report.
It doesn’t really matter anymore though does it .

Noble has gone and he wouldn’t be gone if he was the right choice of coach FOR us .

I’d suggest you’re probably 100% right though.

Onwards and upwards as they say 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back