Bye Bye Nobles

Remove this Banner Ad

History suggests that Noble probably won’t be our coach when we come out of this rebuild. It was summed up well by Kingy, it’s very rare that the rebuild coach lasts to achieve success. Brendan McCarthy is a great example before Bevo took over.

The issue that I have with this thread is that it regularly neglects the following:

• We have had 2 coaches in 4 years, sacking Noble would be 3 in 4 years
  • We are at 100% of our soft cap
  • The administration has confirmed publicly that we are where we expected
  • The talent (lack of) on our list would make it extremely difficult for any coach to be more then 1-8

On top of that… The North coaching role is arguably the hardest & most unappealing in the AFL currently, due to:

• Arguably the worst list in the competition
  • The worst senior players in the competition
  • A recent coaching history of 3 coaches in 4 years
  • A long rebuild with many more losses then wins ahead

Our club is suffering due to many years of negligence off-field, with a focus on the financial aspects to survive, rather then football success. The pi**ing and moaning in here does not change that.
I can't like this post enough.
It's hard watching the team lose but i know we will come out of it.
Sacking the coach will not send the right message to the players.
We are all in this together.

A situation that will be made much more difficult if we were to sack Noble in order to get Clarkson, then fail to get Clarkson and be left with a head coaching vacancy and zero applicants.
Now that sends shivers down my spine! Very much a reality though.

Even if they put feelers out for Clarkson there’s no doubt that will get back to Noble. Potentially has disaster written all over it!

Isn't Noble effectively able to be sacked with six weeks pay/notice? Or does the above problem relate to Shaw (or even Scott) departing?
He’s on a rolling contract but if he goes the current assistants go too as whoever replaces him will want to bring their own team in. We don’t have the space to move on him or any of his lieutenants.
Yes and yes. (Tazaa might know more detail)

A situation that will be made much more difficult if we were to sack Noble in order to get Clarkson, then fail to get Clarkson and be left with a head coaching vacancy and zero applicants.

Sheesh I'd be up for the challenge, lets be honest I'm hardly going to be any worse. And would bring a 70's style/flair to the coaches box.

It would be punch from behind.

No lairising with the ball

Long bombs into the forward line

And during the breaks I'd be reading out the comments directly from the game day thread. If that doesn't toughen them up nothing will.

" oh FFS sake, who drafted that campaigner". "Sack Luffs, get rid of big nose".

"This bloke is worse than Noble"- hang on a second :0

Sheesh I'd be up for the challenge, lets be honest I'm hardly going to be any worse. And would bring a 70's style/flair to the coaches box.

And during the breaks I'd be reading out the comments directly from the game day thread. If that doesn't toughen them up nothing will.

Hello?

HEALY OFF ELLINGWORTH ON

Bloody weak as p1ss

He’s on a rolling contract but if he goes the current assistants go too as whoever replaces him will want to bring their own team in. We don’t have the space to move on him or any of his lieutenants.

It is simply not a 1 for 1 relationship.

Any move on the coach is followed by a rippling of other moves. Which can potentially hamstring the next coach. So they can't hack it because they cannot do what they want to do and then that then cascades it's way on-field.

This is a s**t sandwich and we are mid bite.

We have issues on every line on field.
We have issues with tactics and structure.
We have issues with selection.
We have issues with injury availability.
We have issues with fitness levels.
We have issues with leadership on field.
We have issues with a lack of draft and trade capital.
We have issues with the ability to attract top line assistants ( Pebbles is coaching our Rucks?)
We are currently paying 100% of the soft cap.
We have issues with list make up.

There is no one person that solves all these problems.

The romantic idea that the most successful coach of recent times would walk into the club and fix it all is a fairly tale. TBH I think we would likely struggle to get him to the table carrying the issues that we have unless, what he wanted was to take on the challenge of taking a side that is about as low as it can be to the top of the mountain.

And you know what would happen in that first season? We we still lose, and lose a hell of a lot.

This road is going to be long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1979+life+of+brian+3.jpg

Any move on the coach is followed by a rippling of other moves. Which can potentially hamstring the next coach. So they can't hack it because they cannot do what they want to do and then that then cascades it's way on-field.

We have issues with the ability to attract top line assistants ( Pebbles is coaching our Rucks?)

The romantic idea that the most successful coach of recent times would walk into the club and fix it all is a fairly tale. TBH I think we would likely struggle to get him to the table carrying the issues that we have unless, what he wanted was to take on the challenge of taking a side that is about as low as it can be to the top of the mountain.

And you know what would happen in that first season? We we still lose, and lose a hell of a lot.

We have issues with emails
We have issues with tiny magnets
We have issues with stickers
We have issues with oh it doesn’t really matter

You should hear some of the stuff I say about you now TAR. It can get pretty rough and I occasionally have to tell myself to STFU as I even offend myself with some of it.

The problem is that we have crazy amount of cash in the salary cap and should be spending it. Moneyball doesn't really work in our situation.
I don’t get the regular Moneyball references.

Moneyball was the identification of an undervalued metric, on base percentage, which was then exploited through the recruitment process.

It’s not a substitute for ‘cheap’.

I don’t get the regular Moneyball references.

Moneyball was the identification of an undervalued metric, on base percentage, which was then exploited through the recruitment process.

It’s not a substitute for ‘cheap’.

Yeah, I've seen it significantly misused when describing our drafting process too when really they're just taking the players they want at the only picks they have.

The issue is when the team sucks members will vent at the players, then the coach, then specific individuals.

But it usually comes full circle and the coach is the one whose easiest to replace. Except were North Melbourne and not Collingwood. We simply don't have the cash to pay the tax over the soft cap and thats why we wont be sacking Noble or any of his assistants any time soon.

We paid Scott out in installments and his salary was on our books in 2020 I believe. Same with Shaw last year. We just don't do lump sum payouts.
The financial report that gets released at the end of each October every year, so long as we end up in the black, it doesn't matter if its 1 ******* dollar or if its $1million, we don't want to incur any losses.

The only time we ever made a loss was in 2012 when we were going so well but paid some of our rookies that year above what we expected to and thats why we ended up in the red. Other than that this club runs the tightest of ships. Think how budget the membership department is. We cant even afford to pay someone to run our membership twitter page. That's how dire things are.

What it has caused us though is due to the payout to Scott and Shaw we've now neglected the footy department and were scraping by doing the bare minimum. It is literally all hands on deck and thats why Gavin Brown took on more work, thats why Roccas a part timer, thats why Boomer is runner and skills coach, thats why we poached Heath Younie on minimal money - does this all begin to make sense to everyone?

Were hamstrung by our past appointments and * ups. And before any one of us say we've learnt our lesson, we don't make those mistakes anymore, etc let us all come to terms with the fact were paying Paul Roos valuable coin to check in with us a couple of times a week via Zoom.
As I take a deep breath I can just never get over the conclusion that we have set such an internally low standard and its starting to come out across all parts of the football program. We cant even afford to recruit and pay bigger mature bodies in the VFL to protect out kids or give them someone to kick to.

The journey is going to be long and painful and frustrating. We don't have a voice at board level holding each director to account (thats Sonias job now), the coach cant be moved on and the list is what it is. I don't know how our members can voice their frustrations in the right manner but its looking highly likely we'll just have shut up and back the club in. Which is scary.

Last edited:
Is David King trying to help North by saying that he thinks GC should re-sign Stuart Dew, removing 1 club from the chase for Clarkson..

The issue is when the team sucks members will vent at the players, then the coach, then specific individuals.

But it usually comes full circle and the coach is the one whose easiest to replace. Except were North Melbourne and not Collingwood. We simply don't have the cash to pay the tax over the soft cap and thats why we wont be sacking Noble or any of his assistants any time soon.

We paid Scott out in installments and his salary was on our books in 2020 I believe. Same with Shaw last year. We just don't do lump sum payouts.
The financial report that gets released at the end of each October every year, so long as we end up in the black, it doesn't matter if its 1 ******* dollar or if its $1million, we don't want to incur any losses.

The only time we ever made a loss was in 2012 when we were going so well but paid some of our rookies that year above what we expected to and thats why we ended up in the red. Other than that this club runs the tightest of ships. Think how budget the membership department is. We cant even afford to pay someone to run our membership twitter page. That's how dire things are.

What it has caused us though is due to the payout to Scott and Shaw we've now neglected the footy department and were doing the scraping by with the bare minimum now. It is literally all hands on deck and thats why Gavin Brown took on more work, thats why Roccas a part timer, thats why Boomer is runner and skills coach, thats why we poached Heath Younie on minimal money - does this all begin to make sense to everyone?

Were hamstrung by our past appointments and fu** ups. And before any one of us say we've learnt our lesson, we don't make those mistakes anymore, etc let us all come to terms with the fact were paying Paul Roos valuable coin to check in with us a couple of times a week via Zoom.
As I take a deep breath I can just never get over the conclusion that we have set such an internally low standard and its starting to come out across all parts of the football program. We cant even afford to recruit and pay bigger mature bodies in the VFL to protect out kids or give them someone to kick to.

The journey is going to be long and painful and frustrating. We don't have a voice on board level, the coach cant be moved on and the list is what it is. I dont know how members can voice their frustrations but its looking highly likely we'll just have shut up and back the club in. Which is scary.
Omg now I’m just depressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back