Bye Planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I was doing ok here with 9 players missing round 12, 11 in Round 13 and 10 in Round 14...

Unfortunately, I currently have 4 forwards missing round 12, 4 defenders missing round 13 and 5 mids missing round 14. Some work to do...
Nearly the same here, just brought in Boak which leaves me with 6 fwds missing rnd 12 (I can pull Danger in from the mids, so 5).

Looking at downgrading Drew and Parker to playing rnd 13/14 rooks which leaves only 2 missing on field rnd 12.

Rnd 13 will upgrade rook to a rnd 12 premo down back.

Rnd 14 mid rooks to upgrade will be Ross and Walsh, with another playing rook, so only 1 missing from that line.

Hopefully end up with 20-21 players available each week and a 'full team' out the other side

Rnd 13 easily the hardest to make it work given most people are Gawn/Grundy (both missing). Even with backup rucks factored in it makes no difference for 90% of us (ie I'm Archie Smith and Fort... even if miraculously named soon.. it's their bye Rnd 13 too!).

So a max of 26 to choose from that week and an absolute max of 20 on field. For me I've got 3 backman and 3 forwards with byes i wont be trading. So I might end up having a max of 18 players in rnd 13. Will probably take it for that round.

Currently sitting at 9/12/9

The next couple weeks I’ll be looking at moving a couple over too that rnd 14 bye to even it up

Next week will move one of my port rookies to a rnd 14 player (likely GWS) and then look at moving 2 of my rnd 13 players to rnd 14. Likely Guthrie to Whitfield and Hore to Someone.

Want to head into the byes at 8/10/12

If all goes to plan and no injuries, before the bye rounds come I won’t be fielding any rookies and will be able to shuffle the team around to suit the byes

Ive dug up this old spreadsheet that someone else made. Does anyone remember NixTrader? He was a guru with the magic number etc back in the day but just gave it all up. Anyway here is his extremely detailed bye planner, which I have updated for this year. Replace my rabble of a team with yours in the green parts, and on the first page adjust to what you want your bye structure to be. It helps with evening up the team etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51v1sk2uisw90sn/NixByePlanner16_UPDATED.xlsx?dl=0

Any troubles just let me know. Big thanks to NixTrader if he is still out there!

EDIT: Best to download the file as the link is view only.

Last edited:
Ive dug up this old spreadsheet that someone else made. Does anyone remember NixTrader? He was a guru with the magic number etc back in the day but just gave it all up. Anyway here is his extremely detailed bye planner, which I have updated for this year. Replace my rabble of a team with yours in the green parts, and on the first page adjust to what you want your bye structure to be. It helps with evening up the team etc.

Any troubles just let me know. Big thanks to NixTrader if he is still out there!

thanks man.....now to adjust for DPP swings

I like to keep my pre-bye planning to just midpricers and premos, as i'm nto going to let rookie bye situations affect me until the week or two before the bye. So my spread is as follows:

Round 12: 4 Players (0 Def, 1 Mid, 0 Ruck, 3 Fwd)
Round 13: 6 Players (2 Def, 1 Mid, 1 Ruck, 2 Fwd)
Round 14: 7 Players (2 Def, 4 Mid, 1 Ruck, 0 Fwd)

For balance sakes, my upgrades over the next three weeks (should reaosnably be able to do three) will be targeting a Round 12 defender, such as James Sicily, a Round 14 Forward, Toby Greene potentially? and otherwise Round 13 midfielders, such as Andrew Gaff or Adam Treloar. Will try and target Sicily next week as he has the early Bye so you need to get him in early or there is not point, may as well wait till afterwards.

Let's say i'm reasonably able to pick up Sicily and Gaff over the next three weeks (which is reasonable as I can do a double down if I have to) my spread would look like this:

Round 12: 5 Players (1 Def, 1 Mid, 0 Ruck, 3 Fwd)
Round 13: 7 Players (2 Def, 2 Mid, 1 Ruck, 2 Fwd)

Which leaves my premium squads playing in each bye as follows:

Round 12: 14 Players (4 Def, 6 Mid, 2 Ruck, 2 Fwd) + 3 trades (at least one additional premium) (Total - 15 Premiums/Midpricers)
Round 13: 12 Players (3 Def, 5 Mid, 1 Ruck, 3 Fwd) + 6 trades (at least one additional premium) (Total - 14 Premiums/Midpricers)
Round 14: 12 Players (3 Def, 3 Mid, 1 Ruck, 5 Fwd) + 9 trades (at least one additional premium) (Total - 15 Premiums/Midpricers)

So I will only need to field roughly - 3 rookies in Round 12, 4 rookies in Round 13 and 3 rookies in Round 14 at most to make the 18 on field.

Last edited:
I like to keep my pre-bye planning to just midpricers and premos, as i'm nto going to let rookie bye situations affect me until the week or two before the bye. So my spread is as follows:

For balance sakes, my upgrades over the next three weeks (should reaosnably be able to do three) will be targeting a Round 12 defender, such as James Sicily, a Round 14 Forward, Toby Greene potentially? and otherwise Round 13 midfielders, such as Andrew Gaff or Adam Treloar. Will try and target Sicily next week as he has the early Bye so you need to get him in early or there is not point, may as well wait till afterwards.

Let's say i'm reasonably able to pick up Sicily and Gaff over the next three weeks (which is reasonable as I can do a double down if I have to) my spread would look like this:

Round 12: 14 Players (4 Def, 6 Mid, 2 Ruck, 2 Fwd) + 3 trades (at least one additional premium)
Round 13: 12 Players (3 Def, 5 Mid, 1 Ruck, 3 Fwd) + 6 trades (at least one additional premium)
Round 14: 12 Players (3 Def, 3 Mid, 1 Ruck, 5 Fwd) + 9 trades (at least one additional premium)

So I will only need to field roughly - 3 rookies in Round 12, 4 rookies in Round 13 and 3 rookies in Round 14 at most to make the 18 on field.
I’d shoot for more than 18 on field each week if possible. Only 18 scores count but goal is to drop your lowest scores.

Round 12: 14 Players (4 Def, 6 Mid, 2 Ruck, 2 Fwd) + 3 trades (at least one additional premium) (Total - 15 Premiums/Midpricers)
Round 13: 12 Players (3 Def, 5 Mid, 1 Ruck, 3 Fwd) + 6 trades (at least one additional premium) (Total - 14 Premiums/Midpricers)
Round 14: 12 Players (3 Def, 3 Mid, 1 Ruck, 5 Fwd) + 9 trades (at least one additional premium) (Total - 15 Premiums/Midpricers)

That's a great way to look at it, the DPP's are vital too I think. It's pointless having excess players on one line that can't be utilised on another, so I try and plan a bit to have that flexibility.

Wow, that is handy

Max players - 18, 19, 19. have taken in to account my 2 benched, non playing ruckman
Scores using averages - 1,651, 1,751, 1,582

Happy where I'm currently at that I can field 3 full teams. Will try get that to 20, 18, 18 by the time the byes come around to allow for trading to at least 20, 20, 20 come actual rounds

Hmmm....got 6 players I want to upgrade over the bye rounds (might get away with 4) to get to a "finished team" But their combined value including the rooks I want to use comes to $4.2M (9 players) less the 3 replacement rooks at $510k min leaves me with $3.7M So I need their values to increase by at least $550k over the next 4 rounds to have choices of reasonable premos, gonna be ******* tight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone help me plan for byes?
I'm a noob with no *ing idea what to do
I just traded in milera and whitfield for rooze and rocky.

Attachments

• 15592139533494755387678412473764.jpg
    15592139533494755387678412473764.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 239
I am at a loss as to what to do with 3 trades next week.

If Crouch and Williams are back then I'll have 23 players available. With 3 duds on the bench, being Bines, Fort and Hinge.
3 rooks have their bye and 4 premos, So I'll be fielding only 1 extra rook next week.
The round 12 rooks I want to keep for coverage in the later byes.

My conundrum is that I can move Hinge on to say Gardner (who also has 12 bye) but I don't really want to sideways any premos for bugger all gain, as I'm fielding 20 players.

The latter byes are easier cos I can trade to rooks/premos that have had their byes.

Any clues?

rnd12.1.GIF rnd12.2.GIF

Last edited:
Ok - warning - long message - may or may not contain actual content.... Highly unlikely to be useful... Just throwing it out for discussion purposes.....

I currently have an 11/10/9 structure at present. However, that's assuming that everyone actually plays. This is before trades today....

Given this week I have the following out - Williams, Hinge, Atley, Lockhart, Fort, Flynn - plus question marks over Drew, Young - this could get seriously ugly. That injury/missing list is split: 1/3/2 - plus 2 more for Round 12 if Drew and Young miss. However, that means that in Round 12 - I could have an additional 5 players missing above those that have the bye scheduled.

Assuming they all miss, the best I could do is:

Round 12 - 14 players
Round 13 - 15 players
Round 14 - 15 players.

So team selection is critical tonight - plus the injury plans.

The breakdown is as follows:

Round 12:

3 Defenders (1 prem, 1 mid, 1 rookie)
4 Midfielders (1 prem, 1 mid, 2 rookies)
1 Ruck (0/1/0)
3 Forwards (1/1/1)

Round 13:

3 Midfielders (3/0/0)
2 Rucks (1/0/1)
2 Forwards (2/0/0)

Round 14:

2 Defenders (2/0/0)
3 Midfielders (2/1/0)
1 Ruck (0/0/1)
3 Forwards (0/1/2)

Looking at that, Round 13 looms as a big problem (as I'm sure it does for most). So I might try to shift a couple of Round 13 rookies and midpricers for Round 14 ones, or ones that have had their bye already. Or at least clear some cash to allow me to upgrade as needed.

Can anyone help me plan for byes?
I'm a noob with no ruddy idea what to do
I just traded in milera and whitfield for rooze and rocky.
Look at your bye detecter thingy top right.
You'll have 3 trades/week over the next 3 weeks

Maybe next week do a triple downgrade of your non playing rooks....that'll free up cash to allow you to upgrade on field rooks > premos that will have had their bye already, plus you need as many players available as possible

Ok - warning - long message - may or may not contain actual content.... Highly unlikely to be useful... Just throwing it out for discussion purposes.....

I currently have an 11/10/9 structure at present. However, that's assuming that everyone actually plays. This is before trades today....

Given this week I have the following out - Williams, Hinge, Atley, Lockhart, Fort, Flynn - plus question marks over Drew, Young - this could get seriously ugly. That injury/missing list is split: 1/3/2 - plus 2 more for Round 12 if Drew and Young miss. However, that means that in Round 12 - I could have an additional 5 players missing above those that have the bye scheduled.

Assuming they all miss, the best I could do is:

Round 12 - 14 players
Round 13 - 15 players
Round 14 - 15 players.

So team selection is critical tonight - plus the injury plans.

The breakdown is as follows:

Round 12:

4 Midfielders (1 prem, 1 mid, 2 rookies)
1 Ruck (0/1/0)
3 Forwards (1/1/1)

Round 13:

3 Midfielders (3/0/0)
2 Rucks (1/0/1)
2 Forwards (2/0/0)

Round 14:

2 Defenders (2/0/0)
3 Midfielders (2/1/0)
1 Ruck (0/0/1)
3 Forwards (0/1/2)

Looking at that, Round 13 looms as a big problem (as I'm sure it does for most). So I might try to shift a couple of Round 13 rookies and midpricers for Round 14 ones, or ones that have had their bye already. Or at least clear some cash to allow me to upgrade as needed.

Basically, I'd be getting rid of Hinge, Atley, Lockhart and Young > Gardner, Bewley, Baker, et al.

You've held Williams this long (as I have), but if he's out again next week, then if you have to avoid a donut, trade him.

Basically, I'd be getting rid of Hinge, Atley, Lockhart and Young > Gardner, Bewley, Baker, et al.

You've held Williams this long (as I have), but if he's out again next week, then if you have to avoid a donut, trade him.

That’s the way I’m heading. Have traded Lockhart and Williams this week, hopefully for two players that might actually play !!!

Bewley, Gardner and West are looming - depending on performances....

Have $351k for next week.....

Dumping the likes of Gibbons, Corbett, Drew etc in 2 down 1 ups might not even be possible if the down options don't come through.
Might be left trading in $170k players who "might" play just to get cash.

Dumping the likes of Gibbons, Corbett, Drew etc in 2 down 1 ups might not even be possible if the down options don't come through.
Might be left trading in $170k players who "might" play just to get cash.

Last year, I traded in guys on their bye - just to be sure I had options for subsequent weeks.

If I have 7 playing defenders but 5 playing forwards, will the 7th defender as an emergency count to the 22 players?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back