Club History Bye Roosy – and thank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 22.11.143 hrmmm.. shall i continue?

A team that needed to cement a top 4 position vs a team playing a dead rubber game.

Didn't Essendon lose to a bottom 6 St.kilda last year by over 100 points. Before suspensions? Worry about your own house muppet.

Demons have had 7 years of top 5. Essendon have played in 2 finals and banned for a final series. ... melbourne have played none. for 7 years with top picks.
Just shows what good coaches can do... even knights was better than roos.
And as I stated earlier those top picked players aren't there anymore, yet you say Roos is benefitting from them? What is it? Woosha has had more top end talent on his list in 2016 than Paul Roos, Woosha finished well below what Roos did this year. How do you rate Woosha?

I listed all yours allready. demons are fully decked. i dont have the time to make a list.. but from what i made its huge.

So let me get this straight, you say the demons have not improved under Roos and that improvement should be judged on wins and percentage. Then it is pointed out to you that they have gone from 2 wins and 54% in 2013 to 10 wins and say 98% in 2016. Then you say they would have improved anyway even if you were coach, which acknowledges that there has been improvement under Roos.

You sure would make an awful barrister, though you could be a good barrista. Please stop giving us decent Bomber fans a bad name

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrible but a masterclass to what we need to improve over preseason.

And thanks Roosy. There is no way you should be judged for one poor poor game.

A clear offseason program though. Tackle something, take marks, have good skills - not just by foot but by hand also. Expect to see some improvements by 2017.

A clear offseason program though. Tackle something, take marks, have good skills - not just by foot but by hand also. Expect to see some improvements by 2017.
Brilliant post. Sums it up perfectly.

Roos basically did what was on the box. I award him 3.5 stars. I have no idea what next year will bring.

Yeah everyone knows Melbourne had bad talent scouts back then, if you didn't know then your knowledge is poor. As for top 30 draft picks I'll pick a team at random, how about Essendon who have more top 30 picks on their list not including suspended players than Melbourne.

Goddard pick 1
Cooney pick 1
Luenberger pick 4
Parish pick 5
Francis pick 6
Daniher pick 10
Brown 15
Langford pick 17
Kelly pick 17
Dempsey pick 19
Laverde pick 20
Zaharakis pick 23
Merrett pick 26
McKernan pick 28
Redman 30

For a bottom 2 finish maybe you think Woosha at Essendon is a terrible coach with all this top end talent on his list?
Cmon bro, Goddard and Cooney are honestly trash and past it

Cmon bro, Goddard and Cooney are honestly trash and past it
If you read to what I was replying to, he was saying Roos has benefited from top picks from previous era's in Trengove and Dawes.

Thinking about it some more, I think Roos has been very selfless in his approach to his three years with us.

Another guy, see Malthouse at Carlton, could have done everything to protect their legacy and tried to 'quick fix' the team by bringing in ready-made AFL players to try and get them back to the finals as soon as possible. Then they could walk away saying, "See what a good coach I am, I've taken this rabble back to the finals." But any such fix would have likely been short term only and capped with a bottom-of-the-8, also-ran team.

Roos has eschewed all of that by building through the draft and with young players who have been on the outer at their previous clubs. The only AFL-ready players we've brought in have been Lumumba (we had to get something from the Clark/Varcoe trade), Garlett (picks 61 and 79 for a 30+ goal a season small forward and pick 83 was an offer to good to refuse) and Melksham (a Goodwin trade). Such a rebuild was always going to take longer and likely not be finished within Roos's three seasons.

He's also made all his team selection decisions this year around giving Goodwin the most developed list, and the most information about the list, as possible instead of just picking the best team possible with a view to winning every game. That has frustrated us as fans, and perhaps cost us finals this year, but leaves the team in a better position for the future.

In short, he's sacrificed a part of his image in an attempt give us the best possible chance at sustained success going forward. I'm sure that idiots like BombzrBlitz will be the first to point out next year, if we do make finals, that we're much better without Roos and that he was a waste of time and money. But that is disregarding, devaluing, or not understanding everything that he has actually done.

Thinking about it some more, I think Roos has been very selfless in his approach to his three years with us.

Another guy, see Malthouse at Carlton, could have done everything to protect their legacy and tried to 'quick fix' the team by bringing in ready-made AFL players to try and get them back to the finals as soon as possible. Then they could walk away saying, "See what a good coach I am, I've taken this rabble back to the finals." But any such fix would have likely been short term only and capped with a bottom-of-the-8, also-ran team.

Roos has eschewed all of that by building through the draft and with young players who have been on the outer at their previous clubs. The only AFL-ready players we've brought in have been Lumumba (we had to get something from the Clark/Varcoe trade), Garlett (picks 61 and 79 for a 30+ goal a season small forward and pick 83 was an offer to good to refuse) and Melksham (a Goodwin trade). Such a rebuild was always going to take longer and likely not be finished within Roos's three seasons.

He's also made all his team selection decisions this year around giving Goodwin the most developed list, and the most information about the list, as possible instead of just picking the best team possible with a view to winning every game. That has frustrated us as fans, and perhaps cost us finals this year, but leaves the team in a better position for the future.

In short, he's sacrificed a part of his image in an attempt give us the best possible chance at sustained success going forward. I'm sure that idiots like BombzrBlitz will be the first to point out next year, if we do make finals, that we're much better without Roos and that he was a waste of time and money. But that is disregarding, devaluing, or not understanding everything that he has actually done.

Well said. It pissed us all off at stages, but I reckon it was very clear early in the year Roos was trying to set up Goodwins 2017 round 1 team.

So just be better at footballing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back