Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
New contract lists for the next year have been announced

Men’s Contract list: Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner, Adam Zampa

Women's Contract list: Darcie Brown, Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Alana King, Meg Lanning, Tahlia McGrath, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Tayla Vlaeminck, Georgia Wareham

Notable movements include Josh Inglis in for the first time, with Kane and Jhye Richardson both dropping off. Alana King replaces Sophie Molineux for the women's side.

Gotta say I think Jhye is very unlucky to have missed out - I'd have him there ahead of Boland. In a T20 World Cup year, Jhye is a current multi-format player (Boland has played T20I and ODI but not since 2016), and is seven years younger than Boland.

I haven't done the maths, but it strikes me as a particularly old men's squad.

In other news, Josh Inglis is definitely their heir apparent now.

Jhye very unlucky.
It is as if CA don't actually watch cricket. Yet...you look at the names, and really, he probably should get one only in front of Boland, Swepson...and Agar? Tough to only fit a certain amount of people in I guess. But...for mine, and many I suspect, he has to be up there. Would love to see him bowl in English conditions next year that's for sure. Rapid pace and swing :thumbsu:

I'll say that's harsh. Jhye is a young tearaway with raw pace, great control and genuine swing who delivers the goods each and every time he's given a chance. One of our best bowling talents in years and as tobsdad says he is the absolute prototype bowler for English conditions.

Last edited:
I'ma just leave this here. Stiff.

Sheffield Shield
23 wickets @ 13.43 from 4 matches
185 runs @ 37.00

Marsh Cup
3 wickets @ 8.33 from 2 matches
44 runs @ ~ (1 innings)

BBL
4 wickets @ 10.25 (5.59 eco) from 2 matches
DNB

Test
5 wickets @ 24 from 1 match
17 runs @ 8.5 (242 SR)

12th man
52 oranges @ 13 from 4 matches
112 gatorades @ 28 from 4 matches

Boland, Agar and Inglis are the ones you probably look at and suggest Richardson is stiff to miss instead of. Given Richardsons 2021 IPL deal (even taking into account that he lost a fair chunk of it in the end) those 3 could all probably use the guaranteed CA contract a bit more than him if its line ball.

Although what the * would I know?

isn't it done on some sort of points system?

anyways 16 of the 18 from the test squad to pakistan made the cut (all but harris & steketee)

finch, maxwell, stoinis & zampa were the other 4.

jhye very stiff - he will start putting pressure on the likes of starc and hazlewood, sooner rather than later.

where do pucovski and neser sit in the scheme of things ?

isn't it done on some sort of points system?

anyways 16 of the 18 from the test squad to pakistan made the cut (all but harris & steketee)

finch, maxwell, stoinis & zampa were the other 4.

jhye very stiff - he will start putting pressure on the likes of starc and hazlewood, sooner rather than later.

where do pucovski and neser sit in the scheme of things ?
I think they can earn a contract during the year, based on that points system. Certain number of points for a test, a lesser amount for white ball stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for the omission of Jhye, CA probably feels if he is not playing consistently how does he earn a national contract. Fact is he has missed as much cricket as he has played in the few short years since his international debut.
Evidently even if you have missed a contract you can be upgraded if you play a certain amount of cricket in the intervening period. I heard Jhye has been penciled in for the Sri Lanka tour if fit. So all is not lost on our hottest generational bowling prospect.
Still too many white ball has beens picked. Need new blood in addition to Josh Inglis.

It is as if CA don't actually watch cricket. Yet...you look at the names, and really, he probably should get one only in front of Boland, Swepson...and Agar? Tough to only fit a certain amount of people in I guess. But...for mine, and many I suspect, he has to be up there. Would love to see him bowl in English conditions next year that's for sure. Rapid pace and swing :thumbsu:
I agree he’s very unlucky, but his injury issues are clearly concerning the selectors.

The rest of the list is pretty much to be expected, with Inglis a very slight surprise.

Given Pattinson and Cummins were given 3-4 years on the national contract list while repeatedly injured, the "he's not on the park enough" line rings pretty hollow.
Cummins had shown more as an 18yo than Richardson at 25. You get a bit of slack when you take a 6fa on debut in South Africa (little bit more substantial than running through a hapless touring Sri Lankan team).

Regarding Pattinson, who was indeed 25 when the giftwrapped contracts started rolling in, I'm not sure what the point is. Should obvious mistakes from the past be repeated for consistency's sake?

Cummins had shown more as an 18yo than Richardson at 25. You get a bit of slack when you take a 6fa on debut in South Africa (little bit more substantial than running through a hapless touring Sri Lankan team).

Regarding Pattinson, who was indeed 25 when the giftwrapped contracts started rolling in, I'm not sure what the point is. Should obvious mistakes from the past be repeated for consistency's sake?

Has he though? Jhye (21.3) has a better FC average than Pat (22.4). Few can claim that. What’s to say he couldn’t have replicated this on the test stage, given the same opportunity.

Has he though? Jhye (21.3) has a better FC average than Pat (22.4). Few can claim that. What’s to say he couldn’t have replicated this on the test stage, given the same opportunity.
I personally wouldn't trust somebody's judgment if they claim a lack of opportunity is holding him back.

If we were talking about an injury-plagued Cameron Green who just got shafted, it'd be a different story. But Richardson is at best going to be a good Test cricketer when healthy, he's not an obviously generational talent like Green or Cummins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back