News Carlton parts ways with Cain Liddle - Post #400

Remove this Banner Ad

Great membership growth, dropped the ball with the Ellis stuff. The former is far more important for our future than that latter.

Botched the SOS exit but he had to go eventually. You can’t have two or three middling children on a list and make the right calls, even if it’s just perception.

Willing to give him more time.

A two part question.....

Have any of you or anyone you know, renewed membership because of Liddle or what you see this group achieving?

Perhaps these 2 could be added to the vote

"I renewed my membership because of Liddle"

"I renewed my membership because of what I see this group achieving"

Or perhaps it should be in the membership thread
Are you suggesting he’s done nothing to assist in the spike in memberships, but rather just happens to be in charge at a fortunate time?
Because that’s how it reads to me, and I think that’s more than a little unfair. Your focus on asking whether people have “renewed” memberships also seems to ignore that in his tenure to date we have seen a large number of new members joining.
Perhaps I’m reading you wrong here, and feel free to clarify, but that’s just how it came across to me

Are you suggesting he’s done nothing to assist in the spike in memberships, but rather just happens to be in charge at a fortunate time?
Because that’s how it reads to me, and I think that’s more than a little unfair. Your focus on asking whether people have “renewed” memberships also seems to ignore that in his tenure to date we have seen a large number of new members joining.
Perhaps I’m reading you wrong here, and feel free to clarify, but that’s just how it came across to me

It's exactly what I am saying, although Liddle has capitalized by striking at the right time.

I guess you could consider whether the Tigers have declined in membership since his departure. Demons had an increase of 18% last year, was that on the back of a membership guru or the club reaching finals the year before?

Building the foundations/sustained success has natural rewards

Who ever renews their membership because of any CEO?

This question alone is somewhat misguided as the obvious answer would be very few.

It's what the CEO does, that makes the difference and not for the individual himself.

Again, I find it somewhat shallow to not recognise the drive emanating out of the membership department since Liddle took over and to put it down to luck or it's only because of the team.....the team....the one that finished last and third last in the past two years? Come on people....click that grey matter into gear :)

This question alone is somewhat misguided as the obvious answer would be very few.

It's what the CEO does, that makes the difference and not for the individual himself.

Again, I find it somewhat shallow to not recognise the drive emanating out of the membership department since Liddle took over and to put it down to luck or it's only because of the team.....the team....the one that finished last and third last in the past two years? Come on people....click that grey matter into gear :)

So you renewed because of Liddle and or the membership department, rather than because you always would or see what was being built?

As for our finish over the last 2 years, are we basing intelligence on short term win loss? Interesting generalization, lucky some aren't sheep

I can not recall a single thing the membership department have done apart from a free upgrade that rolled over into automatically costing more money the next year and that has only had a negative impact for me.

Can you name anything worthwhile they have actually done? I can't.

I can not recall a single thing the membership department have done apart from a free upgrade that rolled over into automatically costing more money the next year and that has only had a negative impact for me.

That had a positive impact on the Club, though

They're dogs to a bone.
I don't know anyone personally but I do know someone who knows of many people being badgered to the point they signed up.
Badgered may not be the right term,....maybe coerced.

We can't just dismiss this or that to suit an argument.
Yes, the free upgrade was important and it worked. Would have Swann executed this idea...and even if he would have, it takes constant monitoring and follow up to ensure the plan works. Why am I even stating the obvious here?

As far as growing the catchment area Liddle discussed when he cam on board...I can't tell you whether it's working or not, but the numbers and the confidence in the numbers, demonstrates that we have someone here who has pulse on matters...so no...it's not just being at the right place at the right time.
This is patently disingenuous.

He seems to have done a lot right, and a lot of areas of the Club are heading in the right direction.
The SOS debacle is a concern though, you would hope it is a one-off and a good learning experience.

Liddle (and any CEO, at any club), whatever has happened before, whether fact or fiction, should be completely removed from the list management process.
People need to stay in their lane. It's a recipe for disaster.
Supporters are right to feel concern about this.

They're dogs to a bone.
I don't know anyone personally but I do know someone who knows of many people being badgered to the point they signed up.

Yes, the free upgrade was important and it worked. Would have Swann executed this idea...and even if he would have, it takes constant monitoring and follow up to ensure the plan works. Why am I even stating the obvious here?

As far as growing the catchment area Liddle discussed when he cam on board...I can't tell you whether it's working or not, but the numbers and the confidence in the numbers, demonstrates that we have someone here who has pulse on matters...so no...it's not just being at the right place at the right time.
And when those elderly people who didn't understand they needed to change their package back down start to feel the effects of the added cost on their budgets and give up their memberships for good in a couple of years time are you people going to understand why? The idea didn't work and is destined to long term lower our numbers, it is essentially scamming imho.

If you honestly think hounding people is a good way to increase memberships I feel for you, maybe this year it works and they sign on for one more year but then next year they say * off and start resenting the club, losing interest and never coming back. Another short sighted plan that will negatively impact in the future.

I've already posted membership numbers in the past from previous time periods that squash the notion any bar is being exceeded currently, purely and simply down to the promise the kids showed late last year, membership numbers always rise in the years when the supporter base feel the list is set to improve and it has never had anything to do with the CEO.

And when those elderly people who didn't understand they needed to change their package back down start to feel the effects of the added cost on their budgets and give up their memberships for good in a couple of years time are you people going to understand why? The idea didn't work and is destined to long term lower our numbers, it is essentially scamming imho.
If you honestly think hounding people is a good way to increase memberships I feel for you, maybe this year it works and they sign on for one more year but then next year they say fu** off and start resenting the club, losing interest and never coming back. Another short sighted plan that will negatively impact in the future.

I've already posted membership numbers in the past from previous time periods that squash the notion any bar is being exceeded currently, purely and simply down to the promise the kids showed late last year, membership numbers always rise in the years when the supporter base feel the list is set to improve and it has never had anything to do with the CEO.

As opposed to just sitting back and waiting for things to happen?
Let me just say, I wouldn't want to go into business with you.

The numbers are there, we're whittling away at the debt we haven't been able to, but somehow it was all just a matter of course. I don't know what to say

He seems to have done a lot right, and a lot of areas of the Club are heading in the right direction.
The SOS debacle is a concern though, you would hope it is a one-off and a good learning experience.

Liddle (and any CEO, at any club), whatever has happened before, whether fact or fiction, should be completely removed from the list management process.
People need to stay in their lane. It's a recipe for disaster.
Supporters are right to feel concern about this.

The SOS debacle was a club debacle no matter which way you look at it.

It always...always has to come down to; Who let this just play out the way it did? Hint; It wasn't Liddle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SOS debacle was a club debacle no matter which way you look at it.

It always...always has to come down to; Who let this just play out the way it did? Hint; It wasn't Liddle.

I know you want to blame the Pres for it, and certainly some of the blame falls there.
Whichever way you cut it though, Liddle has to also take a significant portion of the blame for the situation. If he had done everything perfectly, then there wouldn't have been anything to blame on the Pres

As opposed to just sitting back and waiting for things to happen?
Let me just say, I wouldn't want to go into business with you.

The numbers are there, we're whittling away at the debt we haven't been able to, but somehow it was all just a matter of course. I don't know what to say
You think abusing people thinking of them as only numbers to line your own pockets is the right way to go? Good luck attracting any quality people to work for you.

My Gas company is doing the same strategy Liddle is using trying to get me to sign up to Electricity. The plan has worked so well I'll be looking for a new gas company over the weekend because they are pissing me off, each to their own I suppose.

You think abusing people thinking of them as only numbers to line your own pockets is the right way to go? Good luck attracting any quality people to work for you.

Abusing, no. Being annoyingly persuasive, unfortunately yeah.

The numbers of people who are sufficiently pissed off as to quit their membership (especially when the Club is being a lot more successful on field) are going to be very small compared to the numbers who sign up, or stay signed up, due to the tactics that have been employed.
The big challenge is to get people to sign up. Once you get them in, it is a hell of a lot easier to keep them, especially with auto-renew.

My Gas company is doing the same strategy Liddle is using trying to get me to sign up to Electricity. The plan has worked so well I'll be looking for a new gas company over the weekend because they are pissing me off, each to their own I suppose.

It's not abusing. You're not abusing an ex-Carlton member to rejoin, by speaking nicely to them and giving them reasons to do so.

There are still a lot of disgruntled Carlton people and the club is simply trying to reel them back in....and from what I heard, it's working.

If you honestly think hounding people is a good way to increase memberships I feel for you, maybe this year it works and they sign on for one more year but then next year they say fu** off and start resenting the club, losing interest and never coming back. Another short sighted plan that will negatively impact in the future.

I received the 'free' upgrade which then became more expensive. I simply called them and went back to the cheaper option.
No problems, no questions, no hard sell.

A one minute phone call.

The membership paperwork even mentions calling them if a change of membership is required.

Last edited:
I received the 'free' upgrade which then became more expensive. I simply called them and went back to the cheaper option.
No problems, no questions, no hard sell.

A one minute phone call.

The membership paperwork even mentions calling them if a change if membership is required.
I've got a 60 year old father who still can't text, don't think you fit the criteria of what I was aiming at.

They're dogs to a bone.

Oh come now, seriously Harks!

I've got a 60 year old father who still can't text, don't think you fit the criteria of what I was aiming at.

Maybe call for him then. Tell the membership dept he cannot afford the upgrade and would like one of the cheaper options.

your gas company should be more interested in the gassy pong at your place........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back