News Carlton parts ways with Cain Liddle - Post #400

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. Thanks Harks.

I wonder whether employing the Richmond bloke in a membership sales capacity, rather than as CEO, may have been a better option.

Opine, is there not more positives to come out of his appointment than just increased memberships? We have done the SOS saga to death and your dislike is clear, without having numbers to throw at you, I recall a much stronger position in terms of revenue than we have had in the past, I know the club has paid of a lot more debt than they expected, ive read the last few years the club has increased its football department spending.

We haven’t just seen increased membership numbers

Opine, is there not more positives to come out of his appointment than just increased memberships? We have done the SOS saga to death and your dislike is clear, without having numbers to throw at you, I recall a much stronger position in terms of revenue than we have had in the past, I know the club has paid of a lot more debt than they expected, ive read the last few years the club has increased its football department spending.

I don't like the feeling of being "had". A club is more than a temporary spike in membership sales. You don't just disregard the feeling that a wrong has been done to a club legend who has helped turn your club around; simply because sales numbers are up.

Last edited:
... with a history of making blues and having to retract his statements. There's also the problem of a board member having such a distinct profile; as an explayer and brownlow medallist, he's groomed/pushed by the AFL establishment into CEO/president positions, aka Roo at Adelaide.

I'd like to think we're solid enough that we could avoid doing this, but I've not enough faith in Judd or Carlton to think they wouldn't find a way to make him a new messiah, and for things to go badly south at a rate of knots.
I don't mind mistakes, provided the wrong doer admits she/he could have done better. It's part of learning and improving. Mistake or not, insofar as im concerned as a recipient of his messaging, Judd comes across as far more sincere than anyone else we've had of late. Don't sell me, but rather, explain things to me.

I remember hearing a bit of talk about this, but talk was all it was. Has there been anything more concrete as yet?
No nothing more, may have been an Age article a while back that mentioned it. Probably hear more in the lead up to the AGM if the presidential change over is going to occur.

I got the impression that Luke Sayers was our most likely President in waiting.

Yep, or at least that was the case late last year and he's also the one that's rustled the most feathers on the board, apparently.

MLG has worked the hardest by all reports, genuinely loves the club and wants to do well, but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest he's been a particularly good leader for us. Others may have and will cite this example and that one, but in the whole, I find us not to have had a strong, respect-earning, visionary and proactive President since....I can't remember.

Yep, or at least that was the case late last year and he's also the one that's rustled the most feathers on the board, apparently.

MLG has worked the hardest by all reports, genuinely loves the club and wants to do well, but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest he's been a particularly good leader for us. Others may have and will cite this example and that one, but in the whole, I find us not to have had a strong, respect-earning, visionary and proactive President since....I can't remember.
MLG won't be remembered for Churchillian speech making. Compare where we were when he took over in 2014 to where we are now and there has been substantial positive growth for the club. Still work to be done, but on the upward curve in many areas.

i rate Liddle achievements with the university, the dd and payment options that must of had a positive effect on membership (even with our on field improvement) but according to our financial statement our stronger position has more to do with MLG and the partnership with government to rebuild IKON Park.

i rate Liddle achievements with the university, the dd and payment options that must of had a positive effect on membership (even with our on field improvement) but according to our financial statement our stronger position has more to do with MLG and the partnership with government to rebuild IKON Park.
And MLG initiative to set up Carlton In Business

Perhaps he's just the first leader to acknowledge that he alone doesn't have all the answers, and instead has chosen to listen to other people with the relevant expertise.

For that alone, of all the Carlton presidents of the new millennium, sets him apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how is everyone rating Liddle these days?

Good growth hacker who allowed his ego to get the better of himself.

If only he stayed in his lane

With my background (triple degree marcoms with experience) I'd actually pay good money to listen to Cain on growth strategy. He's done a great job in areas the club has struggled in for as long as I can remember and helped the resurgence of Richmond.

He's done a solid job thus far,
There's been some improvements but some blunders too - how the club manages the review and any recommendations that come from it should go some way to making or breaking him as CEO.

So how is everyone rating Liddle these days?
Started out with high hopes. One of the first things he did was check in with the AFL about other clubs spend on their football departments and moved Macca on and employed some more coaches and recruiters (IIRC).

But its kind of stalled there for the on field. He's had a hand in a coach sacking and list management disputes. It seems that he can't himself, or through Lloyd, develop relationships and plans, nor whole of club buy ins to achieve premierships.

While he's kicking goals in debt reduction and membership, this is not converting into footy dept strenghtening - despite the initial actions . Some of this is probably down to covid belt tightening by the AFL, but he hasn't really got the footy dept pursuing excellence. I include AFLW in this assessment.

I don't think he's up to managing it all, especially without an experienced footy dept manager.

One thing I genuinely object to, and will not be budged from: the instant we win a game of football - I know this, because I'm frequently watching the games on my break on my phone, which receives emails - I receive an email telling me to celebrate with a purchase from the online shop.

If I want to buy something, I'll do it on my own time.

I have zero doubt it's automated, but that does not excuse them trying to leech money that I don't have after every victory. You want to make me opt out of the autorenew that didn't exist when I became a member, even if only to get my email address off your books so you cannot incessantly email me to tell me to 'celebrate the win with some merch'.

Leave me alone. If I want to buy something from you - as I did my membership - I'll choose to do it at my own discretion, thanks.

Seems to have done the business side of his role very well, and completely botched the football department side (at least partly, and maybe mainly, by being far too involved in it).
Agree he has certaintly improved the financial/business performance of the operation, but seems very power driven in terms of not allowing people to do their roles in the list management domain, sure the review process will identify some shortcomings, whether that means he is also part of change will be interesting.

Good growth hacker who allowed his ego to get the better of himself.

If only he stayed in his lane
These echo my own thoughts.

One thing I genuinely object to, and will not be budged from: the instant we win a game of football - I know this, because I'm frequently watching the games on my break on my phone, which receives emails - I receive an email telling me to celebrate with a purchase from the online shop.

If I want to buy something, I'll do it on my own time.

I have zero doubt it's automated, but that does not excuse them trying to leech money that I don't have after every victory. You want to make me opt out of the autorenew that didn't exist when I became a member, even if only to get my email address off your books so you cannot incessantly email me to tell me to 'celebrate the win with some merch'.

Leave me alone. If I want to buy something from you - as I did my membership - I'll choose to do it at my own discretion, thanks.
That's just modern marketing. If you're using Gmail (like mosat people will tend to) it will deprioritise stuff like this by default so you never see a proper notification.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back