News Carlton parts ways with Cain Liddle - Post #400

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention, if MLG is not a good public talker, perhaps we need a more presentable CEO to complement him.

Sure, but CEO is the individual on the ground and the one that has to be across the ground. That's his job.
The President doesn't need to be involved in day to day matters. That's not his/her job.

I find it odd that anyone would question the CEO's motivations here.
It's not as though we can call in Teague, Austin and LLoyd to be part of the discussion. It's Liddles job to know what's happening at the club.

Sure, but CEO is the individual on the ground and the one that has to be across the ground. That's his job.
The President doesn't need to be involved in day to day matters. That's not his/her job.

I find it odd that anyone would question the CEO's motivations here.
It's not as though we can call in Teague, Austin and LLoyd to be part of the discussion. It's Liddles job to know what's happening at the club.
Exactly.

I do not like Liddle, I didn't at the time of the appointment and nothing he's done since has really changed my opinion; but then, I'm don't possess any particular knowledge of how his role need be done, and I don't have any expertise to really have a relevant opinion. Why people insist on wielding their opinions like zweihanders on things they don't really know enough about is beyond me.

Exactly.

I do not like Liddle, I didn't at the time of the appointment and nothing he's done since has really changed my opinion; but then, I'm don't possess any particular knowledge of how his role need be done, and I don't have any expertise to really have a relevant opinion. Why people insist on wielding their opinions like zweihanders on things they don't really know enough about is beyond me.

Opinions are fine, but one has to at least understand individuals' roles and Liddles' role is telling, in that he'll be the one that has to be across operations and by default the individual that's best served communicating most things Carlton.

The President can stick his beak in every now and then but we don't have the President that demands that sort of attention nor the President that's best served to articulate matters in regards to operations. I don't think that's being harsh as much as it's being factual.

Opinions are fine, but one has to at least understand individuals' roles and Liddles' role is telling, in that he'll be the one that has to be across operations and by default the individual that's best served communicating most things Carlton.

The President can stick his beak in every now and then but we don't have the President that demands that sort of attention nor the President that's best served to articulate matters in regards to operations. I don't think that's being harsh as much as it's being factual.
This has more to do with how valuable I think inexpert opinion is than the club, to be honest.

My conversations with you are trending away from footy more and more. You bring out the philosopher in me, maybe.

You do realise that the CEO is often the mouthpiece for the club.
There is absolutely no crime in him being able to speak on behalf of others, outside his scope of expertise.
If Liddle doesn't understand the machinations within the club he's charged in overseeing, then maybe it's time for another CEO.

I'm not aware of any other CEO who talks football matters to the press or gets involved in bringing players from his former employer to the Club...

I'm not aware of any other CEO who talks football matters to the press or gets involved in bringing players from his former employer to the Club...

You haven't heard of another CEO discussing football (club) matters with the press?
Who would you suggest should have the broader discussions around the club?

...as for the latter. It can not be proven that Liddle was the instigator. Once you have those 'facts' in had, come back to the discussion.

You haven't heard of another CEO discussing football (club) matters with the press?
Who would you suggest should have the broader discussions around the club?

...as for the latter. It can not be proven that Liddle was the instigator. Once you have those 'facts' in had, come back to the discussion.

I dont even know the names of other Club's CEO's - but Liddle's name and polished head is tattoed into my memory - a real chew your arm off type memory - if you know what I mean ;) - horrible just horrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont even know the names of other Club's CEO's - but Liddle's name and polished head is tattoed into my memory - a real chew your arm off type memory - if you know what I mean ;) - horrible just horrible.

Of course you know the name of our CEO and not other clubs. There's a reason for this.
I've listened to plenty of other clubs' CEO's talking about their club and I don't recall all their names, because.....It's not my club and I really don't care :)

EDIT: In addition, maybe it's just a CFC protocol. Swann and Trigg were also heavily involved in the media when with us....Remember?

The only reason you know his name is because you're a Carlton supporter.

Most opposition fans would have no idea who he is, besides perhaps Richmond fans.

Exactly.

Where does your dislike stem from? The way he comes across, you don’t think he has the right knowledge, experience, the way he talks?

Where does your dislike stem from? The way he comes across, you don’t think he has the right knowledge, experience, the way he talks?
I see him as a marketing puke, because that's what he is. I don't like marketing or marketers; I see it as professional lying, openly using language tricks and psychological gaps to trick people into buying what you're selling.

I acknowledge that - to a certain extent - we needed someone to increase our membership, and he's certainly done a good job at that.

Andrew Fagan
Greg Swann
Cain Liddle
Mark Anderson
Xavier Campbell
Simon Garlick
Brian Cook
Mark Evans
David Matthews
Justin Reeves
Gary Pert
Carl Dilena
Keith Thomas
Brendan Gale
Andrew Ireland
Matt Finnis
Trevor Nisbett
David Stevenson

You genuinely haven’t heard of at least a few of them?...

I don’t believe it.

I see him as a marketing puke, because that's what he is. I don't like marketing or marketers; I see it as professional lying, openly using language tricks and psychological gaps to trick people into buying what you're selling.

I acknowledge that - to a certain extent - we needed someone to increase our membership, and he's certainly done a good job at that.

Ive heard you laying the boot in to marketers before, I do wonder why so much hate for that profession. When does professional lying, using tricks and gaps to trick people, turn in to just selling the club, like what CEOs and presidents are supposed to do?

By selling, I mean, the direction, the vision, selling the financial benefit to sponsors, selling hope to the fans. Isn’t this the job for everyone and not just marketing pukes?

Ive heard you laying the boot in to marketers before, I do wonder why so much hate for that profession. When does professional lying, using tricks and gaps to trick people, turn in to just selling the club, like what CEOs and presidents are supposed to do?

By selling, I mean, the direction, the vision, selling the financial benefit to sponsors, selling hope to the fans. Isn’t this the job for everyone and not just marketing pukes?
Ah, holistic management practice through a marketing lens.

You've more or less enunciated why I hate it in your post. It's the jargonistic nature, the death of clarity, the triumph of obscurantists and the death of meaning. It's the reframing of the truth into the palatable, the sculpting of the message into a consumable form. A plastic history.

At what point does it cease to be dodgy but permissible and become open manipulation of the gullible for the purposes of separating them from their money?

We're getting a bit afield. Liddle's doing what we hired him to do, whether I like him or it or not.

Ah, holistic management practice through a marketing lens.

You've more or less enunciated why I hate it in your post. It's the jargonistic nature, the death of clarity, the triumph of obscurantists and the death of meaning. It's the reframing of the truth into the palatable, the sculpting of the message into a consumable form. A plastic history.

At what point does it cease to be dodgy but permissible and become open manipulation of the gullible for the purposes of separating them from their money?

We're getting a bit afield. Liddle's doing what we hired him to do, whether I like him or it or not.

A career in politics awaits I take it?

Exactly.

Memberships are well and truly up. The veneer of the club is a little more polished. That’s his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back