Cairns AFL comp Grand Final disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

leonmagic said:
I dont respect grass-roots football??? Get a ********ing clue, you have absolutely NO idea about my opinions, so dont jump to ridiculous conclusion after ONE bloody post. :mad:

Well, what did you expect me to do after what you said? There was only one posible conclusion to draw from your remark - and I notice you do nothing but spout expletives in response rather than qualifying your remark and in the process prove me wrong.

Well said, Jimmy.

apparently there was a barney last time these two played,and its filtered on to the big one.its not a matter of being on tv,its the fact that someone was filming it,and then sent it to a media outlet.dont get me wrong i dont condone this at all,to be honest,a quick look at a local rugby ground in sydney west will show you the violence that can occur.i watched two teams in a Penrith District Rugby League final(very quiet weekend!!!) and blokes were pulling up on the median to get involved,the most horrific thing ur likely to see.now all these league fans are saying its about time you blokes threw punches!but id be interested to see what happens next time they meet.

Personally, I believe that Port Douglas should be rewarded the Premiership by default, due to the fact that the North Cairns blokes went at them whilst most of thier players had thier backs turned, but I have heard that North Cairns have returned thier premiership cup and flag.

Grand Finals are torrid affairs, and there will be a bit of niggle during the game, (Rushworth did it to Lancaster at the start of the Kyabram District Grand Final, pushing and shoving and really getting into thier faces, especially thier mid fielders), but I cannot for the life of my understand why some coaches do this, and all-in brawl does little to sway the game either way, and with order-off rules enforced in most leagues, you could end up in a worse position than when you started.

You win Grand Finals on the SCOREBOARD, and the courage you show on the field, for example, Rushworth's Jamie Waarsdorp recieved a heavy knock 10 minuted into the Grand Final by his own man, even though he didn't know where he was and the other bloke hit him so hard that he spewed as soon as he got on the interchange bench, he was able to get around 30 touches for the rest of the game and win the flag, courage like that wins you Grand Finals, pre-meditated attacks after the national anthem doesn't.

And as far as life bans are concerned, well, that's a bit extreme, but the main perpetrators on both sides should recieve heavy suspensions and possible fines and thier respective clubs be placed on a good behaviour bond for 2-3 years.

The onl;y word that springs to mind when watching the footage is "gutless".
Absolutely pathetic display from both the instigators for a start, who attacked thier opponants as one in a seemingly pre-meditated assault. But the other side were silly enough to not only respond, but carry it on for the duration of the game, and the ACA footage showed thier players going at the crowdf as they left the field.

I think the winners should be stripped of the Premiership for a start, and both sides would be very lucky to even field a team in the AFL Cairns ever again if I was in charge of that league.

A disgraceful blot on the game, all involved should feel ashamed of themselves.

riccardo said:
The onl;y word that springs to mind when watching the footage is "gutless".
Absolutely pathetic display from both the instigators for a start, who attacked thier opponants as one in a seemingly pre-meditated assault. But the other side were silly enough to not only respond, but carry it on for the duration of the game, and the ACA footage showed thier players going at the crowdf as they left the field.

I think the winners should be stripped of the Premiership for a start, and both sides would be very lucky to even field a team in the AFL Cairns ever again if I was in charge of that league.

A disgraceful blot on the game, all involved should feel ashamed of themselves.

That's all very fine and good in perspective, Riccardo. But the Port Douglas players were merely defending themselves, and self defence isn't a crime, but considering what happened, it was inevidable that there would be reprisals, if you've played in a Grand Final, you'll know what i'm talking about.

Uncle Steve said:
Just a little something to put things in perspective:

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/sports/article875219.ece

Players chased home, club officials headbutted, spectators threatened with rape and beheading. Just an average day on a Norwegian soccer pitch!
It's not a usual occurance in a game, let alone one in a Scandinavian country, but yeah it can happen in all sports.

This year a Rugby League player in country NSW got banned for 15 years for assaulting a referee. A few years ago in an Italian lower division soccer match a player got a three-year ban for punching an opposition player in the head (who spent a short while in a coma).

It's not a usual occurance in a game, let alone one in a Scandinavian country, but yeah it can happen in all sports.

This year a Rugby League player in country NSW got banned for 15 years for assaulting a referee. A few years ago in an Italian lower division soccer match a player got a three-year ban for punching an opposition player in the head (who spent a short while in a coma).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back