Cairns Expansion Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

So has there been any more information released? Any word if there will be a team for the 2016 season or are we still in limbo..

Which team?

Not sure if it would be worth the money spent getting it together truthfully.

Smashwood

All Australian
Apr 19, 2014
THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WE ARE GEELONG
Why don't they send North Melbourne up there North Qld Kangaroo's just an idea they have been everywhere else....

North Melbourne was offered 100 million, a plethora of draft pics to move to GC and wouldn't go. Cairns football isn't as healthy as it could be and are just reintroducing a team that was rubbed out for a season. I'm just not sure the interest would be there for a NEAFL team.

NT Thunder isn't held in the highest regard by Territorians and there's no local football to rival it. NT love their football and Thunder doesn't excite the locals, so I just can't see a NEAFL team working in Cairns for a very long time. Just not feasible and if a young bloke wants to better his football, well he simply has to relocate. Cazalies is a great ground/stadium but the old 'build it and they will come' doesn't apply here.

Quite frankly it's a ridiculous idea.

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
North Melbourne was offered 100 million, a plethora of draft pics to move to GC and wouldn't go. Cairns football isn't as healthy as it could be and are just reintroducing a team that was rubbed out for a season. I'm just not sure the interest would be there for a NEAFL team.

NT Thunder isn't held in the highest regard by Territorians and there's no local football to rival it. NT love their football and Thunder doesn't excite the locals, so I just can't see a NEAFL team working in Cairns for a very long time. Just not feasible and if a young bloke wants to better his football, well he simply has to relocate. Cazalies is a great ground/stadium but the old 'build it and they will come' doesn't apply here.

Quite frankly it's a ridiculous idea.
Yeah I think your right, it's just strange considering the idea seemed to have so much momentum behind it a few years ago

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
Ok, for all those who are interested I emaild NEAFL queensland about the situation and got this response

"There will not be in a North Queensland team in the 2016 NEAFL competition. The only change to the competition for 2016 is Ainslie dropping out to bring it back to 10 teams.

AFL Queensland continue to look into the merits of a North Queensland team, but it is far more likely to come into the QAFL competition at some stage rather than the NEAFL.

Regards"

Ok, for all those who are interested I emaild NEAFL queensland about the situation and got this response

"There will not be in a North Queensland team in the 2016 NEAFL competition. The only change to the competition for 2016 is Ainslie dropping out to bring it back to 10 teams.

AFL Queensland continue to look into the merits of a North Queensland team, but it is far more likely to come into the QAFL competition at some stage rather than the NEAFL.

Regards"

So basically the money they get from the AFL to help with the whole of aussie rules in Qld they're deciding to spend it on South East Qld and the NT team.

Farce.

The area up here is the Suns so why don't they at least play a few NEAFL Suns games here a season?

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
So basically the money they get from the AFL to help with the whole of aussie rules in Qld they're deciding to spend it on South East Qld and the NT team.

Farce.

The area up here is the Suns so why don't they at least play a few NEAFL Suns games here a season?
That would be good start. I always thought the NEAFL should have 1 Canberra and 1 FNQ team from the begining

That would be good start. I always thought the NEAFL should have 1 Canberra and 1 FNQ team from the begining

It's strange that they went with AFL Canberra, AFLQ and a few Sydney sides.

Should have been:
1 - Ovens Murray rep side (similar to Thunder)
1 - Canberra side (as you stated)
1 x Sydney side
1 x Gold coast side
1 x Brisbane Southside
1 x Brisbane Northside
1 x Northern Queensland rep side (similar to Thunder)
1 x NT Thunder
1 x UWS
1 x Swans
1 x Suns
1 x Lions

Only thing to shorten travel would be to play NQ v Ovens Murray in Brisbane or Sydney a few days after they play a local side?

isn't there (or was there) a footy side called the 'Cairns City Cobras' ?

Yes.
It merged with the junior side Redlynch Lions and is now called Cairns City Lions and plays out of Holloways Beach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8,500 at Cazaly's stadium for the Bulldogs v Gold Coast game last night. Decent crowd for Cairns but they have been bigger in the past.

True, the way the Suns are going and not having Ablett took a toll.
Also a few weeks earlier the Cowboys were up here which would have had a few families turned off.

SilvaComet

All Australian
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
True, the way the Suns are going and not having Ablett took a toll.
Also a few weeks earlier the Cowboys were up here which would have had a few families turned off.
It'll be interesting to see how the Suns go this year and if it affects the attendance in Cairns.

I'm all for a FNQ team in the AFL in the future, anything to develop the game in Queensland.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Regards"

The problem with a NQ or Cairns side is it will lower the standard of what is a pretty good league in Cairns.

I just read there are about 1500 kids playing footy in Cairns, if they are good enough they seem to leave to go to Brisbane anyway, so what is actually the point of a NEAFL side there.

Even a rep team in the QAFL sucks good players, officials, volunteers out of the club system, without even looking at the cost.

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
The problem with a NQ or Cairns side is it will lower the standard of what is a pretty good league in Cairns.

I just read there are about 1500 kids playing footy in Cairns, if they are good enough they seem to leave to go to Brisbane anyway, so what is actually the point of a NEAFL side there.

Even a rep team in the QAFL sucks good players, officials, volunteers out of the club system, without even looking at the cost.
True, it would just mean that the kids that are good enough could stay in the region rather then going to SEQ to play footy. I think what they have in place for Canberra would work just as well in FNQ, a strong local comp and one rep team

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
True, it would just mean that the kids that are good enough could stay in the region rather then going to SEQ to play footy. I think what they have in place for Canberra would work just as well in FNQ, a strong local comp and one rep team

Maybe, the cost to Eastlake in Canberra is huge for a NEAFL team, Ainslie one of the richest clubs in OZ pulled the pin.

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe, the cost to Eastlake in Canberra is huge for a NEAFL team, Ainslie one of the richest clubs in OZ pulled the pin.
Ainslie pulled the pin because they wanted to stand alone...they called the AFL's bluff and lost. They didn't pull out because of $$. Eastlake agreed to try to include ACT clubs which is precisely what the AFL wants. Ainslie are spewing that they are not included. (for the record....so am I)

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ainslie pulled the pin because they wanted to stand alone...they called the AFL's bluff and lost. They didn't pull out because of $$. Eastlake agreed to try to include ACT clubs which is precisely what the AFL wants. Ainslie are spewing that they are not included. (for the record....so am I)

You are probably right, i just remember reading somewhere about the money ...... here is what they say in the annual report 2015.

After 6 years competing in the NEAFL and seeing many changes throughout that period Ainslie Football Club has decided to no longer compete in this competition. There are many reasons for this and they are far too detailed to address in this report, however what I can say with hand on heart is that we exercised every option available to us to maintain a presence in this competition without jeopardising the spirit and soul of the Ainslie Football Club under the AFL’s preferred single licensee model. This included considerable research of similar VFL setups, exhaustive discussions with and presentations to the NEAFL, of which these were the most professional that I have seen in my time at the club

cheers

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are probably right, i just remember reading somewhere about the money ...... here is what they say in the annual report 2015.

After 6 years competing in the NEAFL and seeing many changes throughout that period Ainslie Football Club has decided to no longer compete in this competition. There are many reasons for this and they are far too detailed to address in this report, however what I can say with hand on heart is that we exercised every option available to us to maintain a presence in this competition without jeopardising the spirit and soul of the Ainslie Football Club under the AFL’s preferred single licensee model. This included considerable research of similar VFL setups, exhaustive discussions with and presentations to the NEAFL, of which these were the most professional that I have seen in my time at the club

cheers
excellent info G M

9,300+ for last nights WB v GC game.

As i posted elsewhere 7mate was playing the game live up here, so why the hell would us locals go and pay exorbitant prices for food and beers when we could sit at home in comfort?

Stupid $FL should rectify it immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back