Remove this Banner Ad

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Time to p!ss it off.

Rather not make money than lose to average teams the next week, and let's not get carried away the Saints are average. Struggled to beat us when they played very well and we were poor and had 1 short the entire second half. A decent team would have buried us.

No interest in a mid season Junket if it hurts our finals campaign. That loss tonight cost us any chance of top 4 and now we are likely to travel interstate in an elimination final.

We need to recover better from road trips, we were awful coming home the week after Port against Geelong and we were lethargic vs Richmond the week after Sydney. Hypothetically, what are we going to be like when we have to go over to West Coast in an elimination final then play Adelaide or Sydney in a semi the next week if we Bradbury a win in Perth?

Once Ballarat can get up and going then we make money from that instead and Cairns probably gets scrapped, but right now we just have to plough on.

Someone posted earlier this week that we haven't won the week after a trip to Cairns/ Darwin since 2010.

Obviously the club has the bigger picture to think about, but it's hard not to agree
I was hoping with Ballarat that the Cairns thing would be ditched, but it looks like the club wants to keep that plus 2 Ballarat games, so just 8 games at Docklands, make the seated membership package intesting, wonder how they will structure?

If we have to play in Cairns , the bye must follow.
We were as flat as s**t carters hats after quarter time.

I did not know s**t carters wore flat hats, i am accumulating a vast
amount of knowledge from bigfooty almost ready for the chase. No
football north of Sydney for me the climate is too different and the
humidity is ridiculous.

Yes watch dees v saints last week. Eerily similar to our flat performance after qtr time. Fortunately for the saints they got both of us coming off trips from up north.

Sorry to intrude, but I feel the same way about our NT arrangement..

I understand the financial windfalls but loathe the incessant trek when we could be playing a Freo and Port at the MCG.

There is such a fine line these days you need every advantage, and travelling 4-6 hours to a hot climate is not one of them.

My gut feeling agrees with this but let's look at the evidence.

It was posted above that we haven't won after a Darwin or Cairns game since 2010. Sounds bad but that's just six games and in four of those years (2011-14) we were in the bottom half of the ladder and mostly playing bad footy, so a loss was the norm. Last year we played Geelong at Skilled Stadium after Cairns - you'd pencil that in as a loss almost every year, no matter where you played the week before.

So I wouldn't be reading an awful lot into that stat.

The other thing that makes me question this is that the two WA teams (and to a lesser extent the Adelaide and Brisbane/GC teams) have to travel long distances for an away trip every second week all year long. Over the years the WA teams have mostly excelled and Brisbane won three flags on the trot before becoming a s**t side again. GCS are a very new club and have yet to prove themselves either at home or away, so I don't think they are a good case study.

So it probably isn't distance or travelling time. Is it heat, humidity, adapting to a different climatic region in mid-winter?

I remain agnostic on this but would be happy enough if we switched to Ballarat sooner than later. My suspicion is that - as in politics - we want to look for a simple silver bullet (or binary) answer to our troubles when in fact it's a hell of a lot more complex than that.

Unfortunately trying to explain complexity doesn't go down well in BF. Or politics.

Blaming the Cairns trip is just making excuses. I went to Cairns and it was by no means hot. Wasn't as cold as Melbourne obviously but it would have been terrific conditions to play in. If it's the travel hire the right people to help us recover along with people who will put a stop to sending injured players back out on the ground. St. Kilda were just to good,this loss has been on the cards for weeks. We appear disorganized all over the ground and especially up forward. Maybe our travel plans were disorganized.
The AFL want a game in Cairns and we are playing it,we need to deal with it and employ the right people.

No one cuts West Coast and Freo any slack for travelling east 10 times a year when they put in shockers the week after returning home.

I was hoping with Ballarat that the Cairns thing would be ditched, but it looks like the club wants to keep that plus 2 Ballarat games, so just 8 games at Docklands, make the seated membership package intesting, wonder how they will structure?
I posted in the Ballarat thread that I'd be extremely annoyed if this were to happen. We have/had such an advantage playing at Etihad, this would really jeapordise that. I understand the commercial realities but not at the expense of winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted in the Ballarat thread that I'd be extremely annoyed if this were to happen. We have/had such an advantage playing at Etihad, this would really jeapordise that. I understand the commercial realities but not at the expense of winning.

We no longer have the advantage we imagine we have at Etihad

We got pushed by Richmond who are junk and lost to the saints who arnt much either

Terry Wallace had some interesting comments when asked about the week after playing in Darwin. He said the following week was all based on recovery. And while the players recovered fine they weren't sharp because they couldnt train with intensity, thus being flat the next week.

So maybe there is too much emphasis on recovery and players should suck it up like Freo/WC or make 1 or 2 changes the next week.

Blaming the Cairns trip is just making excuses. I went to Cairns and it was by no means hot. Wasn't as cold as Melbourne obviously but it would have been terrific conditions to play in. If it's the travel hire the right people to help us recover along with people who will put a stop to sending injured players back out on the ground. St. Kilda were just to good,this loss has been on the cards for weeks. We appear disorganized all over the ground and especially up forward. Maybe our travel plans were disorganized.
The AFL want a game in Cairns and we are playing it,we need to deal with it and employ the right people.

I was also in Cairns , and you are right the conditions were perfect.
Don't think many are making excuses , but I cany see any reason why it can't be scheduled

I was also in Cairns , and you are right the conditions were perfect.
Don't think many are making excuses , but I cany see any reason why it can't be scheduled

Well the correlation between us going up there and completely sucking the week after is pretty easy to see now.

So it may not seem different but I think it's something to be looked at.

I was in cairns and am still up here in perfect 25°C temperature so purely for selfish reasons i hope we continue so i have a good excuse to get outta Melbourne's cold for a week or 2, lol. Saying that, would like a bye the week after so i don't miss a game!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The AFL indicated there will only be 1 Ballarat game next year so it seems we'll have one more game in Cairns in 2017.
Once we have two game in Ballarat I would hope we can avoid Cairns even though we win there every year, this very much appears dependent on stages 2 & 3 of Eureka Oval being completed.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but you would think that the club would start managing players games in the back half of the season.
We went into the Cairns game without Libba (ribs) and could have possibly rested Morris, Roughy and any other players with niggling injuries and still would have won by eight goals as we knew the GC midfield was decimated.

Hopefully the club learns from this if there is a game in Cairns next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back