Analysis The Disciples of Daniel the Diminutive, elite footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

In a way it is just like music, some of us love System of a down and prefer their music with a harder edge, some people love
One Direction is that wrong ? No just a little different as in the end it's all music.

I could argue the point on this one - but it not the right place to do so

Yes I agree - my point is that Daniel's kicks out of defence don't seem to break the game open leading to that paddock. If he's on the receiving end of one of those kicks, his pin-point delivery to forwards is going to be much more damaging
For a kick to be marked by a team mate, coming out of defence and kicking into the midfield requires less accuracy than kicking from the midfield into the forward line. If Daniel really is that kick accurate a kick, then the team is better served with him delivering from further up the ground than in defence and less costly in a height mismatch.

In a way it is just like music sausages some of us love System of a down and prefer their music with a harder edge our sausages fried, some people love One Direction their sausages grilled or curried is that wrong ? No just a little different as in the end it's all music.they are all still sausages

Tweak it a bit, you are Alan Jeans, aren’t you.
Love the sausage analogy, very Forrest Gump in the Bubba scene on how to cook a shrimp. I was going to use an "Oscars" analogy
Some can win "Best Actor" some "Best Supporting Actor", but in the end it's the same statue like trophy.

Oh and Alan Jeans has been dead awhile, but I did have the honour of meeting him and listening.

Last edited:

For a kick to be marked by a team mate, coming out of defence and kicking into the midfield requires less accuracy than kicking from the midfield into the forward line. If Daniel really is that kick accurate a kick, then the team is better served with him delivering from further up the ground than in defence and less costly in a height mismatch.
Yes i agree

Love the sausage analogy, very Forrest Gump in the Bubba scene on how to cook a shrimp. I was going to use an "Oscars" analogy
Some can win "Best Actor" some "Best Supporting Actor", but in the end it's the same statue like trophy.
Alright I give up. I don't know much about sausages but I know even less about rock n roll or live theatre.

Alright I give up. I don't know much about sausages but I know even less about rock n roll or live theatre.
I don't mind it when you talk about sausages.

Most of us don't know much about footy either, but it doesn't stop us.

Tell me DM is there a typically left wing sausage and a typically right wing sausage? Maybe a Merguez and a Kransky?
Or are sausages essentially the staple of the proletariat?

I don't mind it when you talk about sausages.

Most of us don't know much about footy either, but it doesn't stop us.

Tell me DM is there a typically left wing sausage and a typically right wing sausage? Maybe a Merguez and a Kransky?
Or are sausages essentially the staple of the proletariat?
Whilst I concede not knowing much about sausages, I recognise silly sausages because Auntie Harriet always talked about them when I was around.

Caleb Daniel was rightfully in our best 3 players.

Yes he does slow down our exits when he is deep back and his lack of penetration from kickouts often causes an issue.

However, most of his damaging possessions were very high back or wing and his accurate 40.meter possessions where there is space on the ground opened the Giants up.

He is clearly best 22. As part of the back 6 or 7 he will occasionally be mismatched but often that is due to his workrate back.

When Durea is available last season showed our connection from deep back forward was better when Daniel was out.

However, he is becoming elite and just needs to be played higher up the ground where his kicking skills expose the opposition and the opposition can't squeeze him and force 40 meter kicks not to our advantage.

I know people say he was no good as a forward, but that was way before he developed into what he is now and still improving.

As a high back, wing high forward he will be extremely damaging and again re watch the game against GWS and see where his damaging kicks were from and where they went to.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ideally yes - however in the words of the great band Queen we are all “under pressure”
Very good Jeff 1975, but my point was would queen be "Under pressure" more against the styles of Collingwood and St Kilda or be
able to adopt a more natural game like against GWS Giants who don't 1-2-3-4 Pressure as much as the previous two teams. Tim
English also took a lot of marks in the backline last week, similar to Caleb Daniel how much of that was knowing exactly how GWS
were going to bring it in to their forward fifty.

REcall all those long kicks into the forward line by Johannisen picked off by Grundy, Rampe, Heeney. Whether Daniel kicks 40 metres or further, better they hit a target than gain distance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

REcall all those long kicks into the forward line by Johannisen picked off by Grundy, Rampe, Heeney. Whether Daniel kicks 40 metres or further, better they hit a target than gain distance.
I take it you mean the 2016 Grand Final:

Jason Johannisen:
Effective Disposals- 23
Disposal Efficiency- 69.7%
Metres Gained- 876

Caleb Daniel:
Effective Disposals- 9
Disposal Efficiency- 64.3%
Metres Gained- 218

The Norm Smith Medal goes to- Jason Johannisen.

Jason Johannisen:
Effective Disposals- 23
Metres Gained- 876

Caleb Daniel:
Effective Disposals- 9
Metres Gained- 218

Had Johannisen found targets instead of providing marking practice for Heeney and the tall defenders, I might have enjoyed the game longer than from Boyd's goal. I'd have given it to Boyd.

Jason Johannisen:
Effective Disposals- 23
Metres Gained- 876

Caleb Daniel:
Effective Disposals- 9
Metres Gained- 218

Sorry Yojimbo I love your stats but in this case you can stick your stats up your ......ha ha

Boyd was the most influential man on the Grand Final and comfortable the best man on the ground (great team effort though). Unfortunately Norm Smith voters are influenced by stats.

Secondly, I've watched the GF probably 40 to 50 times, JJ covered a lot of ground and did a lot of good work yet this is no way his disposal efficiency was 69.7%. They must have given him 50/50 ones.

Had Johannisen found targets instead of providing marking practice for Heeney and the tall defenders, I might have enjoyed the game longer than from Boyd's goal. I'd have given it to Boyd.
If you check the stats from the Sydney versus Geelong prelim, Geelong had 72 entries and they lost by 30+ points we had both
Tom Boyd and Jordan Roughead picking off their rebounds with quasi intercept marks leading to re-entries. I gave it to Liam
Picken from Jason Johannisen from Josh Kennedy and then Tom Boyd, but our talls did a great job stifling their rebound.

Very good Jeff 1975, but my point was would queen be "Under pressure" more against the styles of Collingwood and St Kilda or be
able to adopt a more natural game like against GWS Giants who don't 1-2-3-4 Pressure as much as the previous two teams. Tim
English also took a lot of marks in the backline last week, similar to Caleb Daniel how much of that was knowing exactly how GWS
were going to bring it in to their forward fifty.

You have me a little confused on the pressure thing
We exerted very little pressure against Collingwood and St Kilda
GWS was much better pushing up and playing on
My belief is that Caleb Daniel looked better up the ground
Tim English looked Gary Dempsey like in defence - fantastic :)

Sorry Yojimbo I love your stats but in this case you can stick your stats up your ......ha ha

Boyd was the most influential man on the Grand Final and comfortable the best man on the ground (great team effort though). Unfortunately Norm Smith voters are influenced by stats.

Secondly, I've watched the GF probably 40 to 50 times, JJ covered a lot of ground and did a lot of good work yet this is no way his disposal efficiency was 69.7%. They must have given him 50/50 ones.
I've rewatched the GF many times, and I still will stand by my initial call that JJ deserved the Norm Smith, very closely followed by Boyd in second place. Every time I watch, I notice the efforts of someone different. Picken, Wood, Kennedy for the Swans, Morris and Bont all played close to the best games of their careers and would all have been deserving of the Norm Smith.

If forced to make a call though, I still think it's JJ's medal. Having a metres gained stat of 876m is basically unheard of, and the impact he had was noticeable. Giving it to Boyd definitely wouldn't have been "incorrect", but I think JJ was the right choice

I've rewatched the GF many times, and I still will stand by my initial call that JJ deserved the Norm Smith, very closely followed by Boyd in second place. Every time I watch, I notice the efforts of someone different. Picken, Wood, Kennedy for the Swans, Morris and Bont all played close to the best games of their careers and would all have been deserving of the Norm Smith.

If forced to make a call though, I still think it's JJ's medal. Having a metres gained stat of 876m is basically unheard of, and the impact he had was noticeable. Giving it to Boyd definitely wouldn't have been "incorrect", but I think JJ was the right choice
Watching at the ground without checking stats, my immediate thought was JJ. He was in everything in the first half.
Having watched the replay dozens of times, Boyd is right there with him. But i still think JJ was the right choice

You have me a little confused on the pressure thing
Sorry about that, but i am just saying the style of play of the opponent dictates how Caleb Daniel and others approach the game.
The Giants are a kicking side so they don't test teams with handball run as much as say Collingwood do, that can give Daniel a
kind of license to be higher up the ground in more dangerous positions and use his kicking skills as a designated kicker more. If
you deny the corridor and switch all the kicking teams have is down the line which teams can defend all day if not for the easy
disposal stuff ups of Matthew Suckling and Alex Keath which both lead to goals. Collingwood versus St Kilda was a great example
of this with Collingwood destroying all of their options which dries up the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back