Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be very interested to know how surprised Dalrymple was that Caleb was still there at 46 even given the height factor. It seemed surprising at the time and even more so now. I just don't see how a guy with that much obvious footballing ability can fail to make the grade just due to a lack of height.

I'd be very interested to know how surprised Dalrymple was that Caleb was still there at 46 even given the height factor. It seemed surprising at the time and even more so now. I just don't see how a guy with that much obvious footballing ability can fail to make the grade just due to a lack of height.

He was only highly rated by a few clubs, I do know of a few clubs that didn't have him in their top 50 board.

It would have been interesting to know where he would have gone if we had a later pick, our last pick was 45 so we had to pull the trigger. If we had like 65 for example I reckon we still would have been a good chance of getting him.

Well Simon wouldn't have been too surprised since he had a few picks just before that and even he rated others ahead of Caleb.

What would be fascinating would be the draft picks if all clubs could choose again knowing what they know now. I reckon all of ours would go a lot higher except for Hamilton (who would probably go about the same).
McLean would go in the teens, Webb high teens at worst, Dale and Daniel in 20s.

... and don't forget we've still got another promising colt in the stable in Zaine!

Joining the bandwagon! He's my new favourite player. Can't wait to see him play a full game next week

Someone needs to let me know what to call him. I keep yelling out different things when he gets the ball. "Great work Caleb", "Oh Daniel, you superstar", "Come on CD", pretty sure the people around me were confused. What should we go with?
As I have read all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, I've taken to calling him "Crivens!" It's a Nac Mac Feegle thing.

He sparked the side in the third term.
Clearly a victim of the recruiting tall mid fad, and shows lack of height isn't a factor.
Caleb's only 63 kg's also, so he is only going to get stronger in the clinches

I'd argue that lack of height is a factor but it shows that it is a factor that can be overcome.

I had money on him at the start of the year for rising star at $41 then he got an injury.
Man that would have been a good chance the way he played last night well done CD welcome to the big time didn't look out of place at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will never be a KP player, it's my only knock on the kid. Needs to work on his height in the off season.
Ha. Yep that's the only thing he needs to work on. 14 possessions and a goal. Great first up effort. I watched him closely and his work off the ball and positioning was also great. He is a beauty. To have Yarren manning him at stages was interesting. I knew he'd have a future.:thumbsu: great talking point for players of smaller stature to still be relevant in today's game.

That's it. Too much negativity today.
Much like last October's darkness led us to a Bevo-Murphy dawn of rainbows and sunlight, this week's darkness will herald a new dawn of brightness and greatness. In fun-sized form.

View attachment 148973

Get used to this sight people. It's Caleb Daniel with the ball, about to make an excellent decision.

We've had bandwagons before, but none like this. Towering over Tony Liberatore by an impressive 4cm, Caleb is about to redefine drafting forever when the little man makes his mark on the competition.

Be afraid opposition. The fear of Bonti, Libba, Stringer, Macrae, Boyd and a host of other teenagers has just been turned up to eleven. It's Caleb time.
Doggies you have a little beauty - I watched him play since he debuted in South Adelaide's league team at 16!
Doggies to have the leagues best midfield within two years - top four next year -

Last edited:
I was watching CD during the pre game warm up and he was effortlessly slotting goal after goal from the 50. When he was lining up for goal during the game I was confident it would sail through. We may have found another one.

Certainly a classic - bicycle helmet?

IMG_4726_%5B640x480%5D.JPG

Could be, I'm not sure. I've always thought it was either a padded ice cream container with a strap or a WWII surplus Fallschirmjäger helmet.

Seriously, is being short really much of a disadvantage? The way the game is played means the ball is on the ground 95% of the time and the umpires love rewarding head duckers like Selwood and Cotchin. Even Rioli is now perfecting. If the game becomes a series of one on ones maybe it will be a problem but ATM it no problem.

Caleb's only 63 kg's also, so he is only going to get stronger in the clinches

Hmm... think 63kg might be his fighting weight, he doesn't have anywhere to put an extra 10kg

I am certain that is size has advantages in reaction times and decision making. His CNS and PNS systems have a lesser range of distance to travel to the extremities. Its the opposite of the big lumbering ruck man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back