Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

What's more of interest to me than any reduction in Caleb's output is that it appears Bailey Williams has lost his dashing run and carry. Perhaps he hasn't fully recovered from his earlier injury or, more likely, it's the result of teams setting up defensively much better than previously restricting his space to run into.

I think Caleb has been squeezed out of Bevo’s best back seven. Bevo keeps mentioning opposition talls and it’s clear he wants a long look at Cordy and Gardy alongside Keath ahead of finals. That leaves Crozier (or Wood), Williams, Dale and Duryea moving through the pockets, flank and bench. I quite like it, but it does beg the question of where does CD set up. I personally liked his move forward during the last quarter of the saints final as he can hit up leads and pinch a goal, but I worry he might not be a pressure forward tackler. Funny, but if he can be, our small forward might have been in front of us the whole time and now along with Weightman we could have two. He’ll play a bit more midfield with Dunks and Treloar out but I’d love to see him spend some long minutes forward.

Daniel finished the year pretty well. Hes great at getting a ground ball, great composure and vision, and is a brilliant kick over 20-40m.

Would it be crazy to play him on a half forward flank if we end up with say, Williams, Richards and Dale in defence? I just think getting the ball into his hands forward of center would generate a lot of scoring opportunities, and the way we like to lock the ball into our F50 and clog it up would suit him.

Daniel finished the year pretty well. Hes great at getting a ground ball, great composure and vision, and is a brilliant kick over 20-40m.

Would it be crazy to play him on a half forward flank if we end up with say, Williams, Richards and Dale in defence? I just think getting the ball into his hands forward of center would generate a lot of scoring opportunities, and the way we like to lock the ball into our F50 and clog it up would suit him.
He's played that role before so certainly not crazy. He's a genuine swingman now so wherever we're getting bogged down, he goes. His agility and ability to cut through zones with his footskills are elite.

He's played that role before so certainly not crazy. He's a genuine swingman now so wherever we're getting bogged down, he goes. His agility and ability to cut through zones with his footskills are elite.

I just think, he is great at getting the ball to someone else by foot, but he often doesnt penetrate a zone becuase he is picking out targets <40m and often on an angle. Its really up to the player he picks out to then penetrate the zone effectively.

Whereas if he is hitting those sorts of targets kicking inside 50, he is producing shots on goal - the hardest kick in the game, yada yada. I feel like a Daniel 15 disposal game as a forward is going to be better for the team than a Daniel 30 disposal game as a defender. He be a fantastic wing if he was even average at running 50m, but hes not.

Wut? Daniel's kicking breaks down opposition zones all the time.

Sure. What I mean is, the nature of the game is that often 36 players will be in our defensive half when he gets the ball, and it takes time for everybody to run back into our half -> his disposal often wont be decisive because the receiver is still stuck in traffic as well. How often do we see Caleb hit up a nice 35m kick to a teammate who then hatches it, or kicks it down the line, or turns it over? He is great at reliably putting the ball into a team mates hands, but due to the nature of game these days and playing in defence, that ability isnt as fruitful as it could be closer to goal, and that is compounded somewhat by lack of pace and penetration on his kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a huge year after copping a lot of s**t on here, he’s a super player. Glad we’re using him as a bit of a utility now, need to keep the opposition on their toes as to his role because if he settles then they can plan match ups to neutralise him/play through him due to his height.

Loved him sitting off the back defensive side of the stoppage last night - yeah if an opposition mid breaks through he may not be quick/big enough to stop them but if it’s a lose ball shooting out goal side he’s so smart and clean he will mop it up 9 times out of 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back